1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Is the Paneristi For Sale forum on the Network54 site completely not trustable? It seems like half of the sales threads are filled with scammers...

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is not the way of Styleforum.

3. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

[​IMG]

Too obvious?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. mafoofan

What makes you think they are scammers?

It's like any other forum marketplace. Most of the sellers are fellow forum members. Some have made a small business out of buying and selling watches. A lot of people view those postings and fakers get weeded out pretty quickly.

I know you are looking to buy used, but the better bet is to buy new from a European AD. They are more likely to discount Panerais over there, and then you get a ~20% VAT refund on top of it. The pice can easily be 30-40% off retail all said and done, and you have a new watch with full warranty.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Hi Stitch, yes I agree. I suppose I wasn't clear enough. My point was as long as the watch is legit, VC will/should work on the watch. Whether the warranty is valid only matters if the watch is new enough to be covered under warranty, if not the owner just pays out of pocket. [​IMG]

From what one high end AD told me who recently stopped carrying IWC, its all part of their lifestyle strategy. They sell a lifestyle, so details about the watches are not as important. He sells AP, Blancpain, GP, RD, etc. and said that won't work with his customers who already have their own lifestyles, want lots of details about watches, and expect a knowledgeable staff.

Wishing you luck with getting your watch serviced.

6. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Well, I got scammed there 2 years ago and almost lost $4k. And it seems like anyone can make any name, and there is a lot of "similar" e-mail address type business happening, where people make a similar address to a known member and try to pose as that member. I just don't see that anywhere else and wonder why it happens there.

Foo, this sounds like an amazing scenario. But I am not really sure how to achieve it, short of flying to Europe.

7. mafoofan

What are you talking about? Pick up the phone.

1 person likes this.
  8. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

I like the smaller discontinued Club dunkel, but agree that the longer lugs on all the Club models sorta ruins it.

Don't like the visible gap between the strap and case.

9. mafoofan

I adore my Portuguese 5001. I honestly think its movement may be the prettiest automatic movement in current production. But I despise what the brand has become. It's embarrassing.

10. mafoofan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Had any problems with the early wear on the 5xxxx calibres?

Not sure how common this is but here's a pic, the blakc specs are supposedly grounded off metal. Supposedly the auto-winder isn't the best in it?
    [​IMG]

12. mafoofan

Wow, that looks bad.

No, no problems. My movement is visible through the display back--its been worn since 2004 and there is no wear on it like that.

For what it's worth, the version you show in that pic is a newer one with free-sprung balance.

13. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

It's quite common for stores that serve an international clientele to hire people (usually women) primarily for their interpreting skills. You may have dealt with one of them. The AP boutique at Bal Harbor (FL) is staffed with a bevy of beauties more suited for a Geneva bordello.

14. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I've been skulking around this thread for a while now. I'm grateful that I never picked up a watch habit, this thread would have ended me.

1 person likes this.
  15. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Lol. The bubble kills it.

I was just expounding, my good man. :)

Its a beaut, but Im not sure Id go so far as to call it the prettiest auto out there.

Buy moar watches now.

16. mafoofan

Happy to consider other contenders.

17. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

I wish I was not a lazy bastard, until that changes, I guess you can keep the top spot. If I get my act together I will post up some others that I think would challenge it. Also, I suspect we have different criteria with which to asses best looking movement. Its more than plausible that you would not find the ones that I like best, as beautiful as that of your IWC. It has a certain understated beauty that I think is right up your alley.

18. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Flee while you still can!

Now to bring the price point waaaaay down from VC / AP / Lange / Patek territory.... (I know some here will view it as belonging in the other thread, but describing this as a 'poor man's watch' ranks right up there with 'let them eat cake' for being spectacularly out of touch with reality)..... I just scratched that 70's itch with this Longines Heritage 1973.

[​IMG]

This one uses the exclusive-to-Longines ETA modification of the Valjoux 7750 to incorporate column wheel control of the chronograph functions.

[​IMG]

For reference, here's the actual vintage Conquest chronograph from 1973: They stayed very true to the original, IMO save for auto versus manual wind, and the seemingly mandatory inclusion of a date function that afflicts just about every contemporary watch. [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  19. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Wow. I have been mulling over this watch for a couple weeks. Did you get the white dial?

2 people like this.
  20. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Yessir - that first pic is of my actual watch. I've seen the black dial in person as well and it is very sharp, but I am a complete sucker for a black-on-white panda dial.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.