• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No worries, I completely understand the lack of interest/attachment to non-mechanical watches.  For me its an interesting part of Rolex history.  
In the end its all good.  

its very interesting, that is for sure.

always all good indeed with you, friend. :fistbump:

robw

Reaction score
I don't have a large wrist but I have no problem wearing my Daytona, Sub or even larger watches I own.

You can wear a Sub with a suit but its not my favorite look and I am a fan. If you don't mind that, from your list then, I would choose the sub. It is is really one of the iconic watches, never goes out of style and will always hold its value relative to most other watches.

As for the reverso, I own a duo and I love it, but unlike a Sub, its not really good if you want to wear it for any kind of activity. The case has popped when I applauded vigorously at games and I couldn't bear to scratch it up doing chores around the house.

Ultimately though, it about getting what you love, so do that and enjoy.

I think my wrist maxes out at 40mm. And to be quite frank a 36mm seems to look best. My current Rolex and the next watch will still be worn 90% of the time with a suit. I tried on the Rolex Sub yesterday and it was quite bulky with my suit. I am sure I could come around to it.

I like the Reverso but I have not located a shop that carries them around me. I prefer to try on every watch I am considering. I would lean toward the Reverso with the double sided time piece...black face/white face.

Either way I will go through a dealer.

CTLION

Reaction score
If I go with the Sub, I am thinking about dropping the stainless steel band for a alligator black band. Where do you track one down? I went to the Rolex dealer yesterday and she said they only come in steel.

I am hoping to make the final decision by the weekend.

robw

Reaction score
Rolex AFAIK does not offer it that way

You can find info all over the internet and either you or most jewelers can swap them out.

I have seen them on rubber, carbon, kevlar, leather alligator etc.. I can't say the look is to my taste, but each to his own.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
IMO, the oyster is just too perfect to take off...especially the newer bracelet.

Reaction score
ST. LOUIS COUNTY • Two Michigan men were charged today in an armed robbery Tuesday of a Rolex watch from an Ellisville jeweler.
Stefan A. Douglas, 23, and Treymane A. Kinsey, 19, both from the Detroit area, were charged with second-degree robbery.
The men were arrested after a police chase that ended in the suspects crashing in Chesterfield.
Police say the incident began about 10:30 a.m. Tuesday when one of the men asked a clerk to see a Rolex watch, then grabbed the watch and tried to run from the store. Another clerk tried to push the robber back into the store, then chased him into the parking lot and tackled him. Police said the clerk backed off when the man threatened to kill the clerk.
They'll probably have a lot of time to think this over. CLICK HERE FOR FULL ARTICLE

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I go with the Sub, I am thinking about dropping the stainless steel band for a alligator black band. Where do you track one down? I went to the Rolex dealer yesterday and she said they only come in steel.

I am hoping to make the final decision by the weekend.
Rolex ONLY sells the Submariner on a metal bracelet ( in steel, or steel & gold, or all gold). So you can buy it, take the bracelet off, and buy a strap and buckle, but that's all on you and nothing to do with Rolex. Your other alternative, is look for a used Sub where the bracelet was removed and never replaced/lost and its already on a strap. But that's generally on much older pieces.

CTLION

Reaction score
Question regarding the best watch for the occasion.

My job takes me to the Caribbean, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Central America and South America. What is a suitable watch to wear that doesn't scream rob me? I will already be wearing a suit, but a Rolex for instance is kind of a flashing beacon.

I have some watches from my high school graduation...really nothing nice...like Swiss Army watches, but while they are durable they look odd with an Italian suit.

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know, for some reason or another, I certainly understand the quartz thing. I mean, not enough that I would abandon my mechanicals for a quartz, but I do have an interest in the HEQ segment. I think I would like a SD or Quartz movement in the stable. One thing that I find particularly nice about having one quartz watch (I gave mine to my little brother, who wears it everyday, so it went to a good home) is that when you pick it up, it is ticking away and is keeping perfect time. The low maintenance is nice if you are running late for work, and you need a dress watch or something like that. The perpetual calendar Citizen that keeps time to within ~5-15 seconds a year really interests me. I think it would be a highly practical watch to own, and a great watch to set your others to!

The OQ would also be a great selection :).

I had a Piaget Quartz for a long time. It had a nicely decorated movement, interestingly. It was nice to just pick it up and put it on without having to set it. But you couldn't predict when it would die, and that was pretty inconvenient. I sold it a few years back and honestly don't miss it. Much.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question regarding the best watch for the occasion.

My job takes me to the Caribbean, Puerto Rico, Mexico, Central America and South America. What is a suitable watch to wear that doesn't scream rob me? I will already be wearing a suit, but a Rolex for instance is kind of a flashing beacon.

I have some watches from my high school graduation...really nothing nice...like Swiss Army watches, but while they are durable they look odd with an Italian suit.

I like the Rolex Explorer or Airking on a plain strap, basically avoid the cyclops and oyster/jubilee bracelet. They can spot that from a mile away. How about a pilot watch, like the IWC Mark XV/XVI?

The Hamilton khaki series is pretty nice too if you're on a budget.

3180732_40303_full.jpg

GHAW0158__32244.1347296031.800.800.jpg

The Sinn 556 is another option too :

156773d1284841874-sinn-556-556-010-556-10-wrist.jpg

83234d1269806348-sinn-556-kemmner-diver-oder-steinhart-ocean-1-all-black-005_sinn-556.jpg

Last edited:

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Tissot "Le Locle" is a great value too.

682835d1334630418-first-time-auto-buyer-over-whelmed-choices-img_2236.jpg

bizupdate_c9ad79cfe0a77ee6d4aa0043b482d97b48f6fad8.jpg

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

IMO, the oyster is just too perfect to take off...especially the newer bracelet.

i would agree.

but some prefer leather/nato/whatever, and for those folks, you have to buy aftermarket.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
So I was flipping through the December issue of WatchTime this evening, and noticed that one our TWAT brethren made his way into the publication, so to speak:

Insert punchline here :D

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I want to pay a no frills price for just a Victrinox :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads