1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gdl203, May 20, 2007.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Same. I like many of them but love none of them. Still if I decide to get a dress watch, I would certainly look at their offerings, though most likely in the vintage, non-round family. Maybe an ellipse or a cushion shape.

1 person likes this.
  2. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Lange speaks to me much moreso than any PP. I do like the enamel dial world time PP though.

1 person likes this.
  3. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

^^^ME LIKEY^^^

Wear in good health Ejirardo!

Also, wurger: additional congrats....great choice, and certainly a piece that would make some judicious "trade-ins" well worth it.

I'm still looking forward to the day when I will have my first Patek LOL.

RFX: great pics of the Daytona. Really shows off some of the brushed vs. polished subtleties of that watch.

Makes me wish it was on my wrist as I type this!

(Monaco re-issue for me today).

and mimo, in regards to your $1000 one watch question, my TWAT-approved answer would be Stowa Fleiger, no date / no logo.

It's got tremendous readability, honest to goodness horological brand heritage, a reliable movement that could be easily serviced for years....your choice of straps...lots to love. I don't think anyone would regret such a purchase. Pilot's watches kind of have their own language, and whatever it is, I think the Stowa is quite fluent. (And I know how you feel about "ze Germanssss" LOL).

Now if you're asking how I've spent that amount personally for one watch....which I know you haven't (!) don't shoot me for adding this option (!).....then I would go with a Hamilton 7750-powered chrono. This is strictly in the spirit of having put some actual, hard-earned money where my own big mouth is.

I really do love mine, and have found that it gets plenty of wrist time amongst several other (more expensive) pieces. So, apparently they no longer make one with with the specific dial layout that I prefer, but you can still find something like the model shown below from a gray market seller.... a solid but not-too-massive 42mm, sold on SS bracelet for $950-ish USD.

It will wobble away on your wrist in a strangely satisfying manner, and would make a suitable complement to your Monster and your vintage Omega, IMHO.

Because, chronograph.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    3 people like this.
  4. dopey

[​IMG]
    This is on my wrist today and I thought some of you might appreciate it. I hope the photo is clear enough.

9 people like this.
  5. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Not on iOS8/Safari it isn't.
    You have to use Chrome if you are posting from mobile.

6. dopey

lol just noticed that. fixed.

7. wurger

wurger Senior member

Thanks guys, it's slate grey on brown straps. frilly, dino and other helpful members , now I truly understand how rare it is for some to have the watches you have and also share knowledge on this forum.

8. no frills

no frills Senior member

Happy to help! Congrats again - mine says hello (WOMW today):

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Congrats again and make sure you give it plenty of wrist time! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Hoo boy wurger....I think you just won TWAT

1 person likes this.
  11. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Wurg, lovely work there, congratulations :nodding:

2 people like this.
  12. wurger

wurger Senior member

thanks guys, some more photos, Patek Philippe 5146G-010, White Gold with Slate Gray dial

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    7 people like this.
  13. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

I have a problem with that. I can't upload images via Safari but via Chrome I can't access the forum. Via mobile.

14. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Damn that Patek!

Grats!

Almost feel bad posting the VC Patrimony in RG I tried on today. Next watch is likely gon' be between this or the H. Moser(pic below- not mine). I really wish the VC came in black dial with the RG case.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Stowa Flieger?

^YES!

Fwiw, the more classically sized 38mm version is actually available for $734 here. Check if any of these coupons applies.

Other 38mm options:

http://www.ashford.com/us/watches/h...rono-auto/H71466583.pid?nid=cpg_cat6032&so=35
    http://www.ashford.com/us/watches/h...rono-auto/H71466733.pid?nid=cpg_cat6032&so=47
    http://www.ashford.com/us/watches/h...rono-auto/H71466553.pid?nid=cpg_cat6032&so=46

42mm:

http://www.ashford.com/us/watches/h...hrono-auto/H71566583.pid?nid=cpg_cat6032&so=3
    http://www.ashford.com/us/watches/h...rono-auto/H71566133.pid?nid=cpg_cat6032&so=14
    http://www.ashford.com/us/watches/h...rono-auto/H71566553.pid?nid=cpg_cat6032&so=13

16. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I don't get the Hamilton love. :embar: They all look like mall-kiosk watches to me. :embar:

17. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I've owned a few Hamilton chronographs over the years. Cool designs and very solid value for money.

1 person likes this.
  18. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Having nothing better to do with my time, I'm watching three days to kill, the recent Kevin Costner movie. Couldn't help but notice that he's wearing a Steve McQueen explorer 2. [​IMG]
    At first I thought it might've been a Steinhardt or something else, but lo and behold here's the close-up. The watch is set at 10/2200 hrs.and the scene takes place in broad daylight. Meh.

1 person likes this.
  19. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

@wurger old mate... what a beauty.

1 person likes this.
  20. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.