• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
awesome pic, keith.

Benjamin Chee HH

Reaction score
Usually the provenance and other details of the diamond are engraved onto its girdle. It likely would not state its brand however, but rather the more important details used for grading. Above all, the GIA or HRD cert is crucial to its value. You can also get an aftermarket cert from a certified diamond grader.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Usually the provenance and other details of the diamond are engraved onto its girdle. It likely would not state its brand however, but rather the more important details used for grading. Above all, the GIA or HRD cert is crucial to its value. You can also get an aftermarket cert from a certified diamond grader.

Correct. In general only the Gemological lab will inscribe the serial number on the girdle. I don't think I've ever seen a brand such as Tiffany or Cartier inscribe their brand name on the girdle Although I guess it might be possible.

And yes, if there is a gemological lab inscription on the girdle you can always just reorder the certification however it might cost you up to a couple hundred dollars.

However, it is important to remember that gemological labs do not always inscribe the stone. And even when they do it only helps for getting the certification as to the color and clarity of the stone, while that does affect the value of the stone to have a better grade it does not play into the arena of getting premiums such as like one would get from proving that the stone was from Tiffany Cartier.

Last edited:

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why didn't Rolex just put the bigger GMT/Sub hands on the new bigger Explorer? If they did that and retained the luminous numbers it would be an awesome watch...

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only recently are provenances engraved on a girdle, and thats only from some places, and not always the jewelry store, sometimes its the merchant company selling the stone to the store. If it is a stone thats 30 years old or older, I doubt it will have the engraving. Like Stitch, I don't recall seeing Cartier engraved on the girdle of their stone (I didn't specifically look for it, but they didn't point it out to me either).

Not all graders of stones are equal, nor is the value of their cert. I know of a few places here in the States that will only accept a GIA cert. If it came from even a different certification company, they don't consider the cert worth the paper its printed on. However, if a seller of a diamond is willing to pay and wait to see the results, they will send the stone to GIA to see how it is certified and then talk about the price they will pay to buy the stone. Otherwise, the store follows with their gemologist's evaluation of quality and hence price.
Correct. In general only the Gemological lab will inscribe the serial number on the girdle. I don't think I've ever seen a brand such as Tiffany or Cartier inscribe their brand name on the girdle Although I guess it might be possible.
And yes, if there is a gemological lab inscription on the girdle you can always just reorder the certification however it might cost you up to a couple hundred dollars.
However, it is important to remember that gemological labs do not always inscribe the stone. And even when they do it only helps for getting the certification as to the color and clarity of the stone, while that does affect the value of the stone to have a better grade it does not play into the arena of getting premiums such as like one would get from proving that the stone was from Tiffany Cartier.
My Wife's engagement ring came with a GIA cert, but I do not believe the cert number is inscribed on its girdle. However, I've seen the stone under a microscope while its loose and you can easily see it matches the plot that is on the cert (showing where any inclusions are and the type of inclusions). In addition to color and clarity, GIA certs also reference the carat weight, cut (mentioning extra facets if any, girdle thicknes), floresence, they have a map plotting out the stone, and a few other things I'm probably forgetting at the moment.

While a GIA cert does not create the premium that one would get for buying a stone through Van Cleef, Cartier, or Tiffany, once you are buying something that's 1.5 carats or more I would only purchase something that has a GIA cert. Not specifically for any kind of premium, but as proof that what you are buying is in fact the quality that you are paying for. Having an independent appraisal from a respected company gives some piece of mind that some place (even if its good quality jewelry store or boutique) isn't calling a stone an F when its a G and saying its a VS2 when its maybe an SI1 in an effort to sell the stone at a greater price.

Quote:
Why didn't Rolex just put the bigger GMT/Sub hands on the new bigger Explorer? If they did that and retained the luminous numbers it would be an awesome watch...
+1 .

Although on the prior model (ref 114270) the numbers had white paint, but they were not luminous. I prefer the white paint on the numbers but always wished they had been luminous.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crazy. They've got that Datejust 2 with the wacky blue lume numbers but no luminous numbers on the Explorer.

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

awesome pic, keith.

that pic has me confused... is the watch sitting on a picture? It looks as if it's shot out the window but what's that cable all strung around it?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Omega Constellation Chronometer auto

Haven't seen one of those on anyone in many years. My ex-girlfriend got one in steel and gold when she graduated college back in 1993. Nice choice, enjoy it.

Last edited:

kwhunter

Reaction score
Haven't seen one of those on anyone in many years. My ex-girlfriend got one in steel and gold when she graduated college back in 1993. Nice choice, enjoy it.
Thanks.
I gifted myself with it back in 1997... bought it in Frankfurt am Main while on a business trip.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

that pic has me confused... is the watch sitting on a picture? It looks as if it's shot out the window but what's that cable all strung around it?

The watch is actually sitting on a Gulf Coast industrial handbook (atop my desk) with the "cable" being Coby headphone wires...didn't mean to confuse anyone, I thought it just looked pretty cool in a still-life sort of way.

I gots mad camera-phone photography skillz LOL.

Nice Connie, kwhunter. Those two-tones always look very 80's retro to me, and I mean that as a compliment. I've always wanted an older pie-pan version but have yet to pull the trigger.

Last edited:

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no not at all... it was "good" confused in an M.C. Escher kind of way... I couldn't figure out the perspective, but cool pic and cool watch regardless.

swblueblood

Reaction score

Yes...I have posted this before. I have not worn it in a while and it felt like new when I strapped it on this morning.

Yes...I have posted this before. I have not worn it in a while and it felt like new when I strapped it on this morning.

[YIMG]http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/579575/[/IMG]

I like your cufflink, Simple and elegant, Adds to the overall beauty of the A Lange and Sohne watch.:D

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
I gifted myself with it back in 1997... bought it in Frankfurt am Main while on a business trip.
My ex-gf's steel and gold Connie was a few years earlier and differed in that the bezels on the earlier models were flat. From the photo it looks like yours was the next generation which had domed bezels. Again, nice choice share some more photos when you have time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads