• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

is pricing more attractive for group buys (sort of the same idea as for shoes)?

should be, that's the goal. I would imagine a better discount can be had if more units are purchased.

I'm interested in a ND ceramic sub and I'd like to see the potential of a greater discount based on a larger qty being purchased.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
should be, that's the goal. I would imagine a better discount can be had if more units are purchased.
Highly doubtful about that idea. Most larger AD's have a policy of no discount on steel Rolex watches at all. Maybe if you hunt around a few smaller ADs will still give a discount. Rolex cleaned house a few years ago and canceled contracts with numerous smaller ADs (who were generally the ADs still discounting steel watches). After that a lot of places stopped discounting. If you can find someone who will discount a steel Sub, its highly unlikely they will increase the discount based on larger volume. Not to mention, a large bulk order of Subs could result in the AD being audited by Rolex USA. Anyway, wishing you luck and hope it all works out for you.
cheers.gif

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Highly doubtful about that idea.  Most larger AD's have a policy of no discount on steel Rolex watches at all.  Maybe if you hunt around a few smaller ADs will still give a discount.  Rolex cleaned house a few years ago and canceled contracts with numerous smaller ADs (who were generally the ADs still discounting steel watches).  After that a lot of places stopped discounting.  If you can find someone who will discount a steel Sub, its highly unlikely they will increase the discount based on larger volume.  Not to mention, a large bulk order of Subs could result in the AD being audited by Rolex USA.   Anyway, wishing you luck and hope it all works out for you. :cheers:

Thanks - LOL.....not looking to buy 8, just figured if a couple of people were really serious about buying, I would shop around and see what type of deals could be had. I'm also definitely going to contact some of the grey dealers and trusted non-AD sellers.

Yet 200 sellers on TRF manage to get them cheap out the back door.

for real! Sometimes makes me think I'm in the wrong business........

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
"Cheap" is relative, though. And if there are 200, they won't be leaking at once...

Single digit discounts are there on a Sub, but at that difference maybe the AD is worth it? Tax free with a lucky currency swing maybe...but then there is that whole Rolex import thing.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks - LOL.....not looking to buy 8, just figured if a couple of people were really serious about buying, I would shop around and see what type of deals could be had. I'm also definitely going to contact some of the grey dealers and trusted non-AD sellers.
for real! Sometimes makes me think I'm in the wrong business........
You might do better if you got a few people to buy from a gray dealer, but I doubt much will happen with an AD, beyond maybe a small discount if you are lucky. Subs are good sellers for ADs, and many don't need to discount them. One AD told me years ago having Rolex in a store can make or break a month, all the other high end stuff is nice eye candy but they don't have the same positive impact on a store's cash flow as Rolex. Wishing you lots of luck !

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I suggest a brown or navy strap too. But it's still classy. Thanks for sharing.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"Cheap" is relative, though. And if there are 200, they won't be leaking at once...

Single digit discounts are there on a Sub, but at that difference maybe the AD is worth it? Tax free with a lucky currency swing maybe...but then there is that whole Rolex import thing.

The Rolex import thing is now nonexistent. People are freely importing from the EU. RSCNY, however, is now demanding a sales receipt when servicing an EU sourced watch under warranty. There are huge threads detailing all this information on TRF.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The morning session of the Christie's auction was pretty crazy. Was eyeing some lots and the bidding got so crazy I couldn't click fast enough. The almost $3M Breguet pocketwatch that was bought by the Patek museum was just stunning and all of the good lots broke the estimates.

Hoping I might find some "value" lots in the afternoon session

ctp120

Reaction score

Highly doubtful about that idea.  Most larger AD's have a policy of no discount on steel Rolex watches at all.  Maybe if you hunt around a few smaller ADs will still give a discount.  Rolex cleaned house a few years ago and canceled contracts with numerous smaller ADs (who were generally the ADs still discounting steel watches).  After that a lot of places stopped discounting.  If you can find someone who will discount a steel Sub, its highly unlikely they will increase the discount based on larger volume.  Not to mention, a large bulk order of Subs could result in the AD being audited by Rolex USA.   Anyway, wishing you luck and hope it all works out for you. :cheers:

I bought a new sub a year and a half ago from a local AD. I told him I preferred to buy local but was considering buying out of state and having it shipped to save the sales tax. They offered to meet me halfway by giving me a single digit discount, but it involved a lot of "let me talk to my manager."

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A couple of questions regarding flipping a watch.

- how much depreciation should I except on a one year old panerai 560 that I bought new from AD and is in excellent condition?

- what are the best forums to sell on? I've sold previous watches on TRF, TZ and even here, but never this brand.

- thoughts on using it as a trade-in + cash with a grey dealer on TRF? I notice many of them post FSOT but I imagine I'd be taking a bath on trade in value.

Thanks

Pams are widely sold on all the forums you mentioned. Most of the dealers will give you a fair trade-in value if you don't want to sell directly - and they'll send you a mailing label.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roberts Jones