1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

damn you guys are making me miss my explorer! such a great watch

2. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Another great Thursday in the PNW

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  3. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

On my way out of town today I decided to switch to a watch with a day counter since it may be hard to keep track of elapsed days where I am but I might need to stay in touch with people back home on occasion and it would be useful to know the date. The day counter is a good way to keep track of elapsed days and I advanced it to today's date as a proxy for the date. Mine counts 31 days, so would someone remind me to reset it at the end of the month? June has 30 days and I don't want to forget and be off by a day.

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Deleted.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  5. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Old pic of mine ... very much looking forward to seeing the new "2016" Explorer iteration:

[​IMG]

No day counter, and therefore no cyclops :happy:

1 person likes this.
  6. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Thanks! No, Catching up with a fellow member of @calibre61 watch club.

7. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

I think that's a fair assessment. It would stand to reason that those buying directly from the boutique like that needn't worry about flipping the watch to fund their next purchase. I also still think that they simply don't make as many boutique editions generally as there simply aren't that many boutiques.

I was just having some fun. That said it'd be great if people who find a nice deal and aren't interested in taking advantage of it post it here. Anyway, very nice gesture on his part.

The rouge Reverso, while a watch I'd be happy to own, isn't on my shortlist at the moment. I actually prefer the green London boutique edition, though the only one I see out there is quite pricey. However I have noticed a few rouge Reversos of late and one at the best price I've seen it thus far. Anyway, rather what I was thinking about boutique editions based on what I've seen.

Both rather incredible experiences really. As incredible as your father's was, yours was even worse and quite frankly made no sense at all from their end. They probably don't even know what they've done either.

1 person likes this.
  8. mimo

mimo Senior member

Well, not many deals here but still a handful of half price Mosers left. Red gold Henry, platinum brown dial Monard, palladium fume dial Monard, a couple of others I can check.

9. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

On the JLC Boutique front I went into the Boutique in London looking for a coloured faced Reverso. It was only after trying all them and many others that I decided to buy there and then the bog standard, without second hand, GRUT. As is often said try them all on and buy the one that sings to you.

10. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior member

One wonders how fast London prices are going to adjust after today's GBP swan dive? For example, the £8,250 Rolex agreed to sell me a 116500 for in March is already worth almost 800 Swiss Francs less than it was back then.

1 person likes this.
  11. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Good morning, fellows. Certainly a chilly morning here in Oz. Hope you all have a good one.

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  12. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

You look well equipped to handle the cold. Its going to be a warm weekend around here, and I might spend some time on a friend's boat, so I'll probably give this one some wrist time....

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  13. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Yep, rugged up here in wintry (relatively speaking) Australia. The chill wind keeps blasting in here at work every time the automatic doors stream open, which is constantly :plain:

14. pmeis

pmeis Senior member

As much as I love my Nomos, it wasn't getting enough wear due to the black shell strap looking a bit to formal. I've been wanting to get more wear out of it so I had a brown shell strap made with a bit of stitching to match the minute numbers. Feels immensely more wearable with shorts and a tshirt now.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    6 people like this.
  15. Mute

Mute Senior member

Nicely done! That will make a great everyday wear watch.

16. mimo

mimo Senior member

Popped into a local AD for a pen refill, and saw something new: not sure I love it, but typically quirky VC:

[​IMG]

Very likeable, and VC have the best straps. The coolest thing is the date: that little triangular marker at 5 is what moves around on an outer disk when you adjust the "day counter". It's very pleasing to play with. And as someone who doesn't much like simple dates, this one has a lot of redeeming charm.

3 people like this.
  17. Mute

Mute Senior member

Somewhat reminds me of a Patek 5110.

18. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Somewhat reminds me of a... part wreck.

Y'know, as in the part of the dial that used to cover the date wheel got broken? :p

Aw crap — that didn't really work. Time to try a haiku instead:

useless dial clutter
    makes watch look silly and cheap
    now get off my lawn

:bigstar:

9 people like this.
  19. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

haha.
    This is what happens when you try to branch out from classics and run out of good ideas.

1 person likes this.
  20. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

All kidding aside: yes!

Of course, that applies to a lot of watches these days. On the plus side... at least Vacheron had the sense not to use minging Arial on the dial. On the minus side, they've been inflicting it on their rotors lately, which is typical of today's declining design standards.
    :p

1 person likes this.