• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Winot

Reaction score

What does every one think of the newly announced Luminor Due?

I can get behind the idea of a thinner but can't imagine paying almost $11,000 for that watch. They stripped away a lot of what makes a Luminor a Luminor and replaced it with something that's trying to be both am action hero watch and somewhat of a dress watch

Looks fantastic - I have been thinking about getting a Luminor and this might seal the deal - not a fan of large watches but love the Panerai look.

Luminor 42mm Duo looks to be priced at $8100 which is comparable with e.g. the PAM560.

Just need to check if the case is brushed - my Radiomir 337 is too shiny for my taste so I was thinking about getting a titanium (e.g.. 564) but this new Duo will be thrown into the pot too.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to be that guy but I will for a moment. I'm selling my Luminar 560 if you're interested and wish to PM me.

Sorry...back to regular programming.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like the first 116500 Daytonas are trickling out into the grey market, asking $10K over MSRP.
Once supply ramps up, I'd hate to be the guy that paid $10K over MSRP. There are also others offering to sell them for around $16K.

This isn't the first time there have been big mark ups on new Rolex models...I've seen it with the old 16520, the early 116520, the first steel and platinum Yachtmasters, 1st Gen Sub LVs, early BLNRs etc. Resale will remain strong on the new steel/ceramic Daytona particularly for the first year or so....but a mark up of 10K over list won't even be remotely close when the dust settles.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
So true.... there was even a (very) short-lived green sapphire Milgauss frenzy, IIRC.

Still can't wait to see one of those new Daytonas in the flesh, though.

Hotness.

Winot

Reaction score

Not to be that guy but I will for a moment. I'm selling my Luminar 560 if you're interested and wish to PM me.

Sorry...back to regular programming.

Thanks - but I was looking for the titanium (562 or 564).

Why are you selling it?

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks - but I was looking for the titanium (562 or 564).

Why are you selling it?

The titanium are really nice as well. I'm selling for the same old reason...it doesn't get enough wrist time and I'm trying to fund a new watch :)

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So true.... there was even a (very) short-lived green sapphire Milgauss frenzy, IIRC.

Still can't wait to see one of those new Daytonas in the flesh, though.

Hotness.
Yes, there was briefly a green sapphire Milgauss frenzy. However, once supply ramped up ...bye bye frenzy!

Agreed the new Daytonas look great!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Quite agreed on the Daytona frenzy: it might be worth the list price (if that's what it's worth to you), but can never be worth the mark-up: a lot of those "waiting lists" will be made up of people who are determined to be first and have put themselves on the list at several ADs. Some ADs will also put one down automatically for a high-rolling collector/regular in anticipation. Not that the supply isn't controlled and limited to a degree - and deliberately - to keep the sense of specialness about this and all steel Daytonas. But I'm pretty sure that if you want one at list, it will be there for you somewhere, and at some time in 2016, at worst from a grey dealer.

Last edited:

Dachshund

Reaction score
Old timer today. Now on a lovely Jean Rousseau strap.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just had a question for those of you that have much more experience evaluating used watches. I didn't bid on this, but here's a discontinued Nomos Club Dunkel I was following that sold on eBay yesterday:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nomos-Glashutte-Club-Dunkel-36mm-Near-Mint-Condition-/252385502104

Aside from the obvious no box or papers, what's the deal with what appears to be lots of small scratches on the side in this pic?

Is that a sign of a poor polishing job? Or something else? Thanks!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Maybe it's a sign of wearing one of those "wrist-raff" bracelets that are so trendy. Buying a relatively recent Nomos and selling it again is also indicative of someone who likes to follow trends!

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score

Old timer today. Now on a lovely Jean Rousseau strap.

Nice combo, Dachsund. Not a lot of vibrant blue straps out there, especially on vintage Rolex.

It's off-beat, but not off-putting, IMHO.

And I busted out this moldy-oldie for some office duty today.

It wears pretty small, and loses 15-20 seconds of time over the course of a day, but I still like to wear it on occasion:

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just had a question for those of you that have much more experience evaluating used watches. I didn't bid on this, but here's a discontinued Nomos Club Dunkel I was following ...

what's the deal with what appears to be lots of small scratches on the side in this pic?

Is that a sign of a poor polishing job? Or something else? Thanks!
Can't tell from a photo. Could be small scratches, could be a less than great polishing job, or could be finger prints that someone didn't wipe away well enough with a polishing cloth - sort of smearing them in a direction making them look like scratches. This is a time when viewing in person would be the only way to tell for sure.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe it's a sign of wearing one of those "wrist-raff" bracelets that are so trendy.  Buying a relatively recent Nomos and selling it again is also indicative of someone who likes to follow trends!

That didn't even occur to me. Those must be hell on watches.

Can't tell from a photo.  Could be small scratches, could be a less than great polishing job, or could be finger prints that someone didn't wipe away well enough with a polishing cloth - sort of smearing them in a direction making them look like scratches.  This is a time when viewing in person would be the only way to tell for sure. 

Thanks, that's what I was really unsure about. I was assuming, perhaps wrongly, that if they were fingerprints then the seller would have made sure to wipe them clean before listing, but it is eBay so who knows ...

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Regardless of what caused the light scratches, they'll polish out easily. I wouldn't worry about them too much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads