The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Winot

Winot Senior member

Looks fantastic - I have been thinking about getting a Luminor and this might seal the deal - not a fan of large watches but love the Panerai look.

Luminor 42mm Duo looks to be priced at $8100 which is comparable with e.g. the PAM560.

Just need to check if the case is brushed - my Radiomir 337 is too shiny for my taste so I was thinking about getting a titanium (e.g.. 564) but this new Duo will be thrown into the pot too.

2. tricky

tricky Senior member

Not to be that guy but I will for a moment. I'm selling my Luminar 560 if you're interested and wish to PM me.

Sorry...back to regular programming.

3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Once supply ramps up, I'd hate to be the guy that paid $10K over MSRP. There are also others offering to sell them for around $16K.

This isn't the first time there have been big mark ups on new Rolex models...I've seen it with the old 16520, the early 116520, the first steel and platinum Yachtmasters, 1st Gen Sub LVs, early BLNRs etc. Resale will remain strong on the new steel/ceramic Daytona particularly for the first year or so....but a mark up of 10K over list won't even be remotely close when the dust settles.

4. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

So true.... there was even a (very) short-lived green sapphire Milgauss frenzy, IIRC.

Still can't wait to see one of those new Daytonas in the flesh, though.

Hotness.

5. Winot

Winot Senior member

Thanks - but I was looking for the titanium (562 or 564).

Why are you selling it?

6. tricky

tricky Senior member

The titanium are really nice as well. I'm selling for the same old reason...it doesn't get enough wrist time and I'm trying to fund a new watch :)

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  7. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Yes, there was briefly a green sapphire Milgauss frenzy. However, once supply ramped up ...bye bye frenzy!

Agreed the new Daytonas look great!

8. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Quite agreed on the Daytona frenzy: it might be worth the list price (if that's what it's worth to you), but can never be worth the mark-up: a lot of those "waiting lists" will be made up of people who are determined to be first and have put themselves on the list at several ADs. Some ADs will also put one down automatically for a high-rolling collector/regular in anticipation. Not that the supply isn't controlled and limited to a degree - and deliberately - to keep the sense of specialness about this and all steel Daytonas. But I'm pretty sure that if you want one at list, it will be there for you somewhere, and at some time in 2016, at worst from a grey dealer.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  9. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

Old timer today. Now on a lovely Jean Rousseau strap.

[​IMG]

10. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

I just had a question for those of you that have much more experience evaluating used watches. I didn't bid on this, but here's a discontinued Nomos Club Dunkel I was following that sold on eBay yesterday:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nomos-Glashutte-Club-Dunkel-36mm-Near-Mint-Condition-/252385502104

Aside from the obvious no box or papers, what's the deal with what appears to be lots of small scratches on the side in this pic?

[​IMG]

Is that a sign of a poor polishing job? Or something else? Thanks!

11. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Maybe it's a sign of wearing one of those "wrist-raff" bracelets that are so trendy. Buying a relatively recent Nomos and selling it again is also indicative of someone who likes to follow trends!

12. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Nice combo, Dachsund. Not a lot of vibrant blue straps out there, especially on vintage Rolex.

It's off-beat, but not off-putting, IMHO.

And I busted out this moldy-oldie for some office duty today.

It wears pretty small, and loses 15-20 seconds of time over the course of a day, but I still like to wear it on occasion:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  13. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Can't tell from a photo. Could be small scratches, could be a less than great polishing job, or could be finger prints that someone didn't wipe away well enough with a polishing cloth - sort of smearing them in a direction making them look like scratches. This is a time when viewing in person would be the only way to tell for sure.

14. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

That didn't even occur to me. Those must be hell on watches.

Thanks, that's what I was really unsure about. I was assuming, perhaps wrongly, that if they were fingerprints then the seller would have made sure to wipe them clean before listing, but it is eBay so who knows ...

15. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

^
    Regardless of what caused the light scratches, they'll polish out easily. I wouldn't worry about them too much.