The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. stanchri

stanchri Senior member

is pricing more attractive for group buys (sort of the same idea as for shoes)?

2. Viral

Viral Senior member

should be, that's the goal. I would imagine a better discount can be had if more units are purchased.

I'm interested in a ND ceramic sub and I'd like to see the potential of a greater discount based on a larger qty being purchased.

3. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

^ Good luck with it. Keep us posted here.

4. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Highly doubtful about that idea. Most larger AD's have a policy of no discount on steel Rolex watches at all. Maybe if you hunt around a few smaller ADs will still give a discount. Rolex cleaned house a few years ago and canceled contracts with numerous smaller ADs (who were generally the ADs still discounting steel watches). After that a lot of places stopped discounting. If you can find someone who will discount a steel Sub, its highly unlikely they will increase the discount based on larger volume. Not to mention, a large bulk order of Subs could result in the AD being audited by Rolex USA. Anyway, wishing you luck and hope it all works out for you. [​IMG]

5. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Yet 200 sellers on TRF manage to get them cheap out the back door.

6. Viral

Viral Senior member

Thanks - LOL.....not looking to buy 8, just figured if a couple of people were really serious about buying, I would shop around and see what type of deals could be had. I'm also definitely going to contact some of the grey dealers and trusted non-AD sellers.

for real! Sometimes makes me think I'm in the wrong business........

Last edited: May 15, 2016

7. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

"Cheap" is relative, though. And if there are 200, they won't be leaking at once...

Single digit discounts are there on a Sub, but at that difference maybe the AD is worth it? Tax free with a lucky currency swing maybe...but then there is that whole Rolex import thing.

8. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

You might do better if you got a few people to buy from a gray dealer, but I doubt much will happen with an AD, beyond maybe a small discount if you are lucky. Subs are good sellers for ADs, and many don't need to discount them. One AD told me years ago having Rolex in a store can make or break a month, all the other high end stuff is nice eye candy but they don't have the same positive impact on a store's cash flow as Rolex. Wishing you lots of luck !

Last edited: May 15, 2016

9. Classic37

Classic37 Member

Posted this before, but liking it very much today
    [​IMG]

10. atia2

atia2 Senior member

Excellent. You've managed to make a gold Rolex look classy and understated. Would benefit from a long sleeve, but I like it.

11. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I suggest a brown or navy strap too. But it's still classy. Thanks for sharing.

12. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

The Rolex import thing is now nonexistent. People are freely importing from the EU. RSCNY, however, is now demanding a sales receipt when servicing an EU sourced watch under warranty. There are huge threads detailing all this information on TRF.

13. cchen

cchen Senior member

The morning session of the Christie's auction was pretty crazy. Was eyeing some lots and the bidding got so crazy I couldn't click fast enough. The almost $3M Breguet pocketwatch that was bought by the Patek museum was just stunning and all of the good lots broke the estimates.

Hoping I might find some "value" lots in the afternoon session

14. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

I bought a new sub a year and a half ago from a local AD. I told him I preferred to buy local but was considering buying out of state and having it shipped to save the sales tax. They offered to meet me halfway by giving me a single digit discount, but it involved a lot of "let me talk to my manager."

15. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Pams are widely sold on all the forums you mentioned. Most of the dealers will give you a fair trade-in value if you don't want to sell directly - and they'll send you a mailing label.