The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

BP offers very good quality, but I find the bathyscaphe version a bland if not just plain unattractive design. To me it just looks generic and there isn't anything I like about it. If I were getting a 50 Fathoms I'd get a standard version. One of the other issues I have with BP, is even when they make something that is nice, for what they cost there is always something I'd much rather own than a BP. But if you're itching for one then go for it.

2. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

^
    Indeed, some watches make me realize that their manufacturers don't really know what they're doing when it comes to design.

The Bathyscaphe is one of those watches.

Last edited: May 12, 2016

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

One man's boring is another man's classic. I love Blancpain, particularly the dearly departed Leman series. The FF Bathyscaphe is an attractive watch, but seems to be a "try before you buy" given its size.

4. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

Regarding BP in general - I'm more worried by the service horror stories than I am by the design. I actually thought it looked nice in person, but it's not going to be a watch that anyone cares about in 10 years. The movement isn't nearly robust enough to live in a real sports watch. If you want a dress watch that looks sporty, and have tons of cash to burn... I'd just get a Patek.

5. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Oh I agree and appreciate the advice. The issue, like many face, is that I love several and am having a hard time deciding. There's probably 10-15 pieces in the under 10k range I would absolutely love to have, but reality is 1-2 can be acquired now and probably no more for 5+ years.

Just to share with everyone, since I always enjoy seeing how similar/dissimilar tastes run:

First tier short list (I will definitely buy one of these). This will be rotated with a Datejust but will get more wrist time than the DJ.

Rolex Sub 114060
    Rolex Sub with Date 116610
    Rolex GMT Master II Ceramic 116710LN (all black)
    Rolex GMT Master II Ceramic 116710BLNR (blue/black)

Second tier short list (if funds permit I'll one acquire now):

Omega Speedmaster Pro
    Rolex Explorer 36mm
    Tudor Black Bay (blue or black bezel)
    Longines Master Collection Chrono (2 subdial version)
    IWC Mark XVIII
    Glashutte Original Senator 60's

6. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

My 2C.

7. cchen

cchen Senior member

8. robw

robw Senior member

I like Blancpain and many of the models it had made. Some of its complicated watches are truly lust worthy, in my view.

The bathyscaphe does nothing for me, but if it works for you go for it.

They tend to be expensive if you pay list but there are substantial discounts on the secondary market to be had, at least last I checked.

9. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

I'd definitely go with whatever from the first tier is your first choice, and not worry about the second tier. Of the second Tier the only ones I really like are the Speedy Pro and the 36mm Explorer. However, I certainly wouldn't choose my second or third choice from tier one just to add one of the items from tier two. Wishing you luck and lots of fun with trying them on and making a decision.

10. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I used to really like the Bathyscaphe until Belligero crapped all over it.

Buffy: Get the Sub. It seems to be the one you really want. Top of your list, the simple, defining, timeless perfection of purpose and design. You could add a date, or a 24 hour bezel or a bit of blue, but I feel it's the Sub you really want. The fact that your second tier looks at the blue or black Black Bay as well, only reinforces the point. All roads are leading you to 114060. Yes, the BLNR is nice but it will go in and out of popularity just like the Coke and Pepsi before it. That's not a bad thing. But as everything you want is a bit like a Sub, I can't help but conclude that you want a Sub.

If you do pick up a second, get a used deal on the GO Senator 60s. You're wearing one, soon to be two steel Oysters on bracelets. The 60s can be had at way below list and has a really cool vintage style. The blue one is lovely, and so different from anything you have for a quirky but classy dress watch. Otherwise a Speedy is never wrong as a casual alternative. You just probably won't wear it as much as the Sub when you're casual, and the GO will look better with a suit.

11. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I tend to agree, particularly for that kind of money.

Speaking of diving watches, I saw that Oris has introduced a new, old version of their "65" diving watch, that harks back to the style that they made back in, well, 1965.

Old:

[​IMG]

New:

[​IMG]

You can also get it on a leather, rubber or NATO strap.

12. sd2002

sd2002 Senior member

Never had a stringray strap before, myself. (Much as I enjoy trying different looks and swapping out straps).

How's it feel, compared to calfskin, or croc?
    Little bit grainy but less than I thought it would be. Still soft though, the color quite interesting, varies light grey to dark. Making me consider stingray shoes for the future :)

13. sd2002

sd2002 Senior member

Sorry first time responding while quoting someone else last fount lines are my answer [​IMG]

14. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

@ cchen: that Journe is bonkers, especially for a modern aesthetic, time-only watch.

Nice combo with your threads. :slayer:

15. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Take a look at Montblanc as well. It's not just for pens anymore. The watch division is headed by the former head of JLC.