1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. haTTer

haTTer Senior member

Today I'm wearing Rolex GMT 16700

[​IMG]

2. sd2002

sd2002 Senior member

If there is drop in price will it be seen only at grey Dealers or at AD as well?

3. mimo

mimo Senior member

Ahem.

[​IMG]

11 people like this.
  4. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I'm honestly quite amazed that Archie seems to be known around the globe.

Coincidentally, Archie (not his real name, obviously) and I went to the same school, although he was a couple of years ahead of me. He was somewhat eccentric back then, too.

I had no idea that he had created an internet persona until I was reading a local news article about a lady who bought a LV bag from a duty free store and who considered that it was fake and so she took it to Archie for his opinion as he is - according to himself, at least - a Louis Vuitton expert. He pronounced it fake, apparently. I then did a Google search on him to see what he's been up to and discovered the internet world of "Archie Luxury". Truly bizarre.

1 person likes this.
  5. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Big Congrats, Mimo. Looks great!

1 person likes this.
  6. tricky

tricky Senior member

Nice one @mimo. Congrats!

1 person likes this.
  7. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

I'm extremely happy for you, man. Wear it in good health.

1 person likes this.
  8. apropos

apropos Senior member

Well, when you think about it, how many new luxury Swiss watches are made, per year?

The sjx site recently had a piece on high end Swiss watches - just think, how many tourbillons are made a year? What is the market for them?

It's kind of sobering, but I admit there is a degree of schadenfreude on my part having in the 10 short years I've been interested in watches, watched prices climb, and climb, and climb ...

9. Winot

Winot Senior member

Arrived today:

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  10. mimo

mimo Senior member

Hey, cut that out, this is my arrivedtoday day!

11. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

You built the suspense much better :)

Many congrats on your new addition. Air King?

12. Winot

Winot Senior member

Sorry man.

1 person likes this.
  13. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

Congrats on your new arrival too. I have never actually seen that watch before...

14. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Congratulations gentlemen. Enjoy them as I'm sure you will.

@Winot I actually discovered the vintage Milgauss about six months ago and consider it to be a great looking vintage Rolex. Then I unfortunately saw the prices they go for.

1 person likes this.
  15. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Certainly interesting to hear from a former Panerai owner who is less than enthralled with them. My AD for other watches was also a Panerai AD and he was always trying to get me into one. I really like the design of some, but back in the day the bulk of them were powered by ETA/Unitas movements that were a bit underwhelming, and having a modest sized wrist I never was that comfortable wearing one.

Sadly, there are numerous offending companies that screw collectors with numerous offerings that are similar to 1 limited edition, because once it sells out fast, they want another fast seller so they offer the same basic piece with different colored trim on the strap and dial thereby diluting the idea of how limited a piece is. AP does this with lots of Offshore pieces and Omega has done this with anniversary moon watches that come out every 5 years or if they find out an astronaut blew his nose while wearing a Speedy. There are lots of other examples...but it astonishes me how people line up for limited editions that look nearly like the last limited edition every year. Or some companies offer boutique editions and if its a hot seller, the only way you can get on a list to get one is if you have paid MSRP at boutiques in the past for average pieces.

Personally, not being an Panerai owner I wish the collectors no ill will, and hopefully, if they bought pieces because they truly loved them (rather than as "Investments" then it won't matter much what the value is today or in 5 years. Its simply my hope that if the company is truly experiencing an down turn in sales, that they (and ADs) will learn from this and appreciate their clients more rather than bleeding them dry at every opportunity.

Yes, the faux press conference was just ridiculous. And I did't really see why it took him 7 minutes or so to say "Get out of the market Faaaackers!" It was the same message over and over again.

As for market corrections etc. Normal collectors (not speculators) if they bought pieces they really liked, rather than for perceived value/potential for appreciation, then in the end the value today or in 6 months or 5 years won't matter so much. Yes, we all feel better if something maintains value or appreciates, but anyone who has really done their homework knows that most pieces depreciate and its the rare exceptions that appreciate and maintain that appreciation. I've always said, buy a piece you truly love and if it drops in value you wont be disappointed, but if it goes up in value it's an added bonus.

With grays it depends on the market and their inventory. With dealers, it will depend on if companies reduce prices (Patek and some Richemont companies did about a year ago), or if companies are least are a bit more lax about discounting.

Well, I guess he is proof that youtube can make almost anyone sort of well known around the globe. Watch one of his videos and you've seen them all. Its entertaining the first or second time...then it gets old really fast. Also, the multiple vidoes about Panerai values and then that faux press conference just made him look silly.

I don't feel a sense of schadenfreude so much as I hope its a learning lesson to companies, ADs, and grays, to value and be kinder to customers rather than sticking it to them just because they can. I've seen some dealers who still treated their long time customers well even when things were going well for them, and I've seen some who basically felt they were on a never ending ride who would screw long terms clients because they knew they could easily sell hot items to someone else quite quickly.

When I was buying a lot of stuff at one AD and I asked about getting on a list for a hard to get item and the watch manager said, we already have a long list and maybe you should consider hunting for it at another place...I said no problem...I'll take the rest of my purchases elsewhere too...between my father and I that cost them 7 watch sales in the course of 4 years (plus jewelry sales) and several watch sale referrals. I'm in it for the long haul and if building and maintaining a good working relationship means nothing to them when things are good, I'm ok with that, as there is always someone else willing to step in an accept my business.
    Looks great congrats and enjoy it! [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Congrats! That's a classic that you will be able to wear with everything. Enjoy it in good health my friend. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Mate, @mimo nice one, enjoy :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  18. mimo

mimo Senior member

Thanks a lot chaps...Mr PMW finally joined the Crown Club. Special thanks to Belligero for hooking me up with an amazing deal, then sitting on it for a year while I sued my previous employer to pay for it. Been a tough year, but things are looking up.

Some people would put a down paymnent on a house, or improve their miserable pension provision or the kids' college fund. But this is not the TWAT/SF way. Twelve suits, seven swords (yeah, I like swords, don't judge!), a used car and a Rolex. For the first and last at least, you are collectively to blame.

Still, at least I learned understatement and subtlety in my tastes.

[​IMG]

Mostly...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    8 people like this.
  19. mimo

mimo Senior member

P.S. Winot, you know I'm kidding right? That is such a cool piece, congrats!

BDavro: Oyster Perpetual, standard 36mm ladies version :D

1 person likes this.
  20. atia2

atia2 Senior member

Cool, crystalline, classy. Perfect size on the wrist - simultaneously elegant and modern.

What a shame, after building such suspense, to botch the entry with an awful out-of-focus shot. This one is much better.