• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question about chrono 24 …

Saw a somewhat rare LE watch there that I’ve been trying to track down for a while. The seller is in the Middle East.

Sent an offer about $300 lower than the asking price (4500 vs 4800) and yet to receive a reply.

Anyone who is familiar with that site (it’s my first time) - what’s the etiquette? Is it likely this seller is just occupied and/or contemplating the offer or does he think
I’m being a cheeky bastard and is not even bothering to reply?

I've only bought a deployant clasp for a watch that originally came with a tang buckle, so I don't think I'm a great person to talk about how Chrono24 works, but I think as long as you're not lowballing well below the market, anything is acceptable.

Stole the old man’s watch for a photo.
View attachment 1668216

In the old El Primero Daytonas did Rolex slow the movement down to 28800 or were they still at 36000 like Zenith's El Primero?

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the old El Primero Daytonas did Rolex slow the movement down to 28800 or were they still at 36000 like Zenith's El Primero?

It was slowed down to 28,800. It's my understanding they thought it would have better reliability at a slower rate. They also made something close to 200 modifications to the movement. So its based on the El Primero, but there are several differences. It also resulted in it being one of their watches with the most hand workmanship.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My newest, and something I've wanted since last summer when this model came out.

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe, 18k Sedna gold, with the sunburst blue dial and Ceragold ceramic bezel. Liquidmetal 18k markers and hands. 5 day power reserve and silcone balance spring, Sedna gold rotor. Makes for a nice package and nice heft on the wrist

View attachment 1668583
If that watch didn’t have a date window it would be seriously killer. Having said that, congrats on an overall solid acquisition. Enjoy it.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New strap, new pics.
36053C61-3EBA-452B-86E2-1261EF541E20.jpeg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My newest, and something I've wanted since last summer when this model came out.

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe, 18k Sedna gold, with the sunburst blue dial and Ceragold ceramic bezel. Liquidmetal 18k markers and hands. 5 day power reserve and silcone balance spring, Sedna gold rotor. Makes for a nice package and nice heft on the wrist

View attachment 1668583

there’s an elegance that the fifty-fathoms has that just pulls me in. I like the blue dial.
Not a fan of the date window but it’s not a deal breaker.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BP looks great but that date window just kills it for me. What were they thinking?

Unfortunately, it's increasingly common nowadays to put a date window around the "4:30" position on the dial. I think that watch companies think it's good, as it doesn't interfere with the "3-6-9" markers.

Call me a traditionalist, though, but I dislike the 4:30 position with a passion.

They make high quality watches and I love the color blue used for the dial, but I struggle with their designs.

I really like the old Fifty Fathoms design, and the smaller size. The old bezels (bakelite, perhaps) have a great depth to them and I really like the appearance. Unfortunately, they're expensive nowadays.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it's increasingly common nowadays to put a date window around the "4:30" position on the dial. I think that watch companies think it's good, as it doesn't interfere with the "3-6-9" markers.

Call me a traditionalist, though, but I dislike the 4:30 position with a passion.
I prefer either 3, 6, or no date. For some watches, a big date at 12 like Lange has it is also good.

4:30 looks off.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am not 100% sure but I believe it has something to do with the movement and how the date window fits in. Pretty sure that's the reason the AP RO Chrono has the date window at 4:30 position.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am not 100% sure but I believe it has something to do with the movement and how the date window fits in. Pretty sure that's the reason the AP RO Chrono has the date window at 4:30 position.
The prior VC Overseas chrono had a 12 o'clock big date. I think it also uses the same F. Piguet movement that the ROC uses.

pmeis

Reaction score
Hot take, 430 dates on chrongraph are the best option if you must include a date. A 3 or 6 o'clock date is either cutting into one of the subdials or on the outside of the subdial, indicating to me that the watch is possibly cramping the dials to close to the center.

Exceptions being, three o'clock dates on 12/9/6 chronos and 6 o'clock dates on two dial chronos.

montecristo#2

Reaction score
Hot take, 430 dates on chrongraph are the best option if you must include a date. A 3 or 6 o'clock date is either cutting into one of the subdials or on the outside of the subdial, indicating to me that the watch is possibly cramping the dials to close to the center.

Exceptions being, three o'clock dates on 12/9/6 chronos and 6 o'clock dates on two dial chronos.

Big date or no date for me, thanks.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyh78