• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is a reliable US-based source for second-hand Rolex? Really looking for those with robust stock as my wife wants to see “what‘s available” in the Rolex world from trusted sources. Three came readily to mind: EWC, Bob’s Watches, and Govberg/TWB. Any other good sources with an internet presence? She‘s only interested in Rolex. At least for now. Thanks.

DavidSW

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having seen your collection over the years on watchuseek, I'm surprised you sold the 1815...what was the motivation there?
I've gotten that reaction quite a bit actually! Short answer is after I got the Breguet I never wore the Lange, love the Breguet so much more, that it didn't make sense to have such a nice watch sitting unworn. I've got almost too many dress watches to wear so I've been slowly parting with them over time. I let the GS go, let the Omega DeVille go, let the Lange go... the Brietling and FOIS are next on the chopping block then I should be at a better place where I actually wear all of them semi-regularly.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i wonder if ladies' Rolices suffer the same provenance issues as some men's models in vintage/secondary markets?

Well there are still fakes out there. However, they don't have to worry as much about "Franken-watches." You don't end up with people trying to modify or switch dials to try to trick people into believing that it is a more valuable model than it truly is ...as can be an issue with vintage Red Submariners and "Paul Newman/Exotic" dial manual wind Daytonas. However, one can still have a "Franken-watch" where a "Good fake(if there is such a thing)" uses a few old Rolex parts to try to convince people it is an authentic Rolex. That is one of the reasons Rolex service centers keep old parts and don't give them back if you buy a new dial, bracelet, bezel, etc. They don't want the old pieces going to Ebay and then ending up used on fakes.

Opethian

Reaction score
The Tudor Black Bay GMT looking amazing, this watch keeps surprising me with every wear! IMHO it is much valuable than it retails for.
Does this stay here or go to the poor man's watch thread?
20190926_025822.jpg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've gotten that reaction quite a bit actually! Short answer is after I got the Breguet I never wore the Lange, love the Breguet so much more, that it didn't make sense to have such a nice watch sitting unworn. I've got almost too many dress watches to wear so I've been slowly parting with them over time. I let the GS go, let the Omega DeVille go, let the Lange go... the Brietling and FOIS are next on the chopping block then I should be at a better place where I actually wear all of them semi-regularly.

Lange makes great watches, but I like your Breguet chronograph so much more that the 1815! Breguet doesn't always get the appreciation and love it should from people, but some of their watches are really beautiful. Glad that as some watches have headed out, you kept that one. Excellent choice! :fistbump:

The Tudor Black Bay GMT looking amazing, this watch keeps surprising me with every wear! IMHO it is much valuable than it retails for.
Does this stay here or go to the poor man's watch thread?
View attachment 1341506

Looks great enjoy it! And that can definitely stay in this thread. :cheers:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of Bregeut. I just don’t like the wire lugs. I prefer the Calatrava style or Lange style lugs over the wire lugs Bregeut has for their dress watches.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of Bregeut. I just don’t like the wire lugs. I prefer the Calatrava style or Lange style lugs over the wire lugs Bregeut has for their dress watches.

Lange makes great watches and I like their lugs...but I find most of their watches too stoic and cold. Only their Lange 1s speak to me. Some Calatravas are nice, but I find many to be a bit stodgy and dull. Not all Breguets speak to me, and I can see the lugs aren't for everyone. Still, I like their classic chronograph, classic power reserve moonphase date watch, and their extra flat tourbillon! They do some amazing guilloche dials!

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha, yeah, that is fun to contemplate for sure! I do take Dino's point that there is something anachronistically formal about many Lange designs, including this one. Personally I like the contrast of the warm gold case and cold silver dial. Pictures also don't really capture how delicate and lustrous the lettering is.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:rotflmao: Lange is a brand I have a lot of respect for, but when I see the Richard Lange, the Saxonia, 1815 Time only, Up Down, or Langematik Perpetual Calendar...I just can't warm up to their designs. I like the 1815 Chronographs far more than the Datograph (a friend owned a rose gold one for about a year). A pet peeve about his was the use of Arabic numerals, sticks, and Roman numerals, which drove me crazy. It was as though the only thing they forgot to try to use to mark something on the dial was a gem. Overall, I like yours and the movement is beautiful, but I've never felt like I wanted to own a Lange chronograph. Consider it a flaw with me :wink:. The Lange 1's are the piece that just does it for me in their collection. When it was released it was a design concept that had not been done before, and it set them apart stylistically from the Swiss, as much as their movements did. Cheers!

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as Lange is concerned, there are 4 models that I like:

Though I don’t respect the over complexity of their movements (really is century old architecture), they have established themselves as quite a player in haute horology. Whether I believe in them or not.

Finishing should not be used as a blindsight.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though I don’t respect the over complexity of their movements (really is century old architecture).

Finishing should not be used as a blindsight.

Yes, old architecture, but that doesn't bother me. For me it's a brand that if I eventually owned one, I don't see myself purchasing anything else from them. Sort of a one and done deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads