• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scuppers

Reaction score
You know, I’m constantly on this site - literally every day. I spend most of my time in the shoe/boot section since that’s what interests me the most. The ONLY place where people insult and are unpleasant towards each other? Here. The watch folk. Completely unsurprising.
Unsurprising?
Jezz, I could go to town on many a boot wearer!
Jokes aside, why unsurprising? It is odd that you would enter a chat with a preconceived level of animosity.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
@d4nimal: The new Longines Heritage Classic Sector Dial checks all your friend’s boxes.

Opethian

Reaction score
@d4nimal: The new Longines Heritage Classic Sector Dial checks all your friend’s boxes.
I like thay sector dial.. Looks very clean

d4nimal

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion - Didn't know about that watch at all. Looks kinda art deco to me, in a cool way.

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear on the whole am-I-an-asshole thing, Dino took it the right way -- my intent was entirely jocular. I like Lange, others prefer different brands or even (shudder) boots. It's all good.

Scuppers

Reaction score
Just to be clear on the whole am-I-an-asshole thing, Dino took it the right way -- my intent was entirely jocular. I like Lange, others prefer different brands or even (shudder) boots. It's all good.
Thinking 98% of us got you... yeah, what’s with boots... bloody galways are taking over the universe!

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm- I had an essay written, but I have the feeling that this isn't the space for conversations on what's acceptable commentary and what isn't in spaces like this (and I don't want to bother @LAGuy).

I definitely don't think you're an asshole. I'm very fascinated about watch-guy culture and the nature of materialism around it. I have so many questions now.

Last edited:

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys -

A friend asked me for watch advice I was hoping to crowd-source a bit because I don't think about this segment of watches often and am grossly underqualified - a white faced, simple dress watch he can wear w/ a suit only (he has a Cartier Roadster and some quartz watches he wears daily otherwise, so this would be for that purpose).

List of wants:
- Auto
- Minimal complications ie date and at most moonphase, no chrono
- relatively thin, size <40 mm
- any metal/case (probably steel though at this price point)
- ideally priced 5k or under, but a bit flexible on that - maybe +$2-3k if it's necessary. I didn't ask him, but he bought his Roadster new so I'm assuming the $5k price point is new also.

- Reverso came to my mind and would fit a lot of these requirements, but most are manual unless the Duetto, which is pushing the budget new. Also maybe something in the JLC Master Ultra Thin line or a Tank Solo. I like the Nomos Orion and it would come in well under budget but I know a lot of people here are not that crazy about Nomos. I'd also put the Datejust on the list and the Oyster Perpetual?

Help me please.
Nomos is great; if he likes the look, then I can't see any reason not to go for it. They're a great company that makes great watches, in my opinion.

The 36 mm Datejust and OP are also perfect.

mak1277

Reaction score
Hmm- I had an essay written, but I have the feeling that this isn't the space for conversations on what's acceptable commentary and what isn't in spaces like this (and I don't want to bother @LAGuy).

I definitely don't think you're an asshole. I'm very fascinated about watch-guy culture and the nature of materialism around it. I have so many questions now.
is the materialism around watches any different than that shown by audiophiles, or people into expensive denim, or bicycling Or you name the hobby?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score
Hey guys -

A friend asked me for watch advice I was hoping to crowd-source a bit because I don't think about this segment of watches often and am grossly underqualified - a white faced, simple dress watch he can wear w/ a suit only (he has a Cartier Roadster and some quartz watches he wears daily otherwise, so this would be for that purpose).

List of wants:
- Auto
- Minimal complications ie date and at most moonphase, no chrono
- relatively thin, size <40 mm
- any metal/case (probably steel though at this price point)
- ideally priced 5k or under, but a bit flexible on that - maybe +$2-3k if it's necessary. I didn't ask him, but he bought his Roadster new so I'm assuming the $5k price point is new also.

- Reverso came to my mind and would fit a lot of these requirements, but most are manual unless the Duetto, which is pushing the budget new. Also maybe something in the JLC Master Ultra Thin line or a Tank Solo. I like the Nomos Orion and it would come in well under budget but I know a lot of people here are not that crazy about Nomos. I'd also put the Datejust on the list and the Oyster Perpetual?

Help me please.
Cartier Santos?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score
is the materialism around watches any different than that shown by audiophiles, or people into expensive denim, or bicycling Or you name the hobby?
I’ve rarely heard headphone companies and bicycles namedropped in rap songs, so yes, there’s more obvious wealth signaling. That said, most people who will spend hours and hours and days and years researching and discussing watches (or clothes, or whatever) with other watch people are a generally a bit different: we are nerds, in a good way. One of the reasons that I find enthusiast forums so much more fun than social media.

Oh, and just as a teaser, we are in the midst of arranging a podcast with a watch person. Don’t want to say more yet, but stay tuned.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hoping to get some info from the board on this: are there any recommended shops in NYC to get a watch strap to replace the OEM one that came with a Cartier Tank?

Camille Fournet used to have a B&M store but has now closed, although they have an e-commerce website. I'd like to know if there are any stores where I could walk in buy the strap I like, and have it installed in-store.

Any info is appreciated!

d4nimal

Reaction score

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.