• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Texasmade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure Rolex can limit supply without devastating their ADs. Most ADs are in high-rent neighborhoods and have to pay their landlord and (presumably) their employees as well while closed. They're going to have to hit the ground running when they reopen with best-selling models.
You're presuming that Rolex actually gives a shit about their AD's. Rolex doesn't give a shit about anyone but Rolex.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure Rolex can limit supply without devastating their ADs. Most ADs are in high-rent neighborhoods and have to pay their landlord and (presumably) their employees as well while closed. They're going to have to hit the ground running when they reopen with best-selling models.
Agreed on ADs hurting, just don't know how Rolex values keeping all of them around relative to maintaining faux scarcity of their popular models. Obviously lots of ways to go about this for them, guess only time will tell how they approach it. I guess I would just ask, what would hurt the Rolex brand and value more, losing let's say 40% of the ADs, or making SS models "easy" to get?

You're presuming that Rolex actually gives a shit about their AD's. Rolex doesn't give a shit about anyone but Rolex.
Pretty much my thoughts.

Edit: How did Rolex react post 2008?

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edit: How did Rolex react post 2008?
Well between 2010 and roughly 2012 Rolex cancelled contracts with I believe well over 100 ADs in the US. Even ones that had relationships with the brand for several decades.

So who knows, maybe they will kill off more ADs and move toward opening more Rolex boutiques (and maybe do it without partnering with ADs).

Phileas Fogg

Reaction score
Patek announced it 2 weeks ago and Rolex much around the same time. Now that HODINKEE has said, people now feel informed...
And it makes sense. The lack of any public/private events coupled with the utter inability to get anyone to focus on anything other than current events does not make for a good time to bring new products online.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolex... postponing new model announcements for 2020.
What new models does Rolex ever have, in any case? Pretty much all it ever does is make (usually very minor) updates to existing models, such as introducing a hairspring made from a new substance!

:tongue:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What new models does Rolex ever have, in any case? Pretty much all it ever does is make (usually very minor) updates to existing models, such as introducing a hairspring made from a new substance!

Oh come on, that's not fair. This year they were probably going to announce some crazy new packaging and a different box for the watches ! :wink:

WSW

Reaction score

The big one would have been an updated Sub. They've been filtering the new movement into their lineup, starting with the Day-Date a few years back and continuing on with the GMT.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People were also speculating a gold Hulk sub.
People love to guess. But most have been way off the mark for decades. For more than a decade people were talking about the possibility of a 42-44 mm Daytona...that never happened.

A gold Hulk...yuck. They used to offer the GMT in all gold with a green dial, it was ugly.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People love to guess. But most have been way off the mark for decades. For more than a decade people were talking about the possibility of a 42-44 mm Daytona...that never happened.

A gold Hulk...yuck. They used to offer the GMT in all gold with a green dial, it was ugly.
Heh, I'm preferential to yellow/gold tone metals. I have grown to prefer the color, and find the steel colors to generally not look as good on my wrist. I'm a big green fan as well, especially olive. That green face GMT does look off in gold...I wonder if it's the black bezel. I really like the gold/blue Subs, and their bezel matches the face. I've got a gold/green watch (Spaceview), and I really like the colors together.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heh, I'm preferential to yellow/gold tone metals. I have grown to prefer the color, and find the steel colors to generally not look as good on my wrist. I'm a big green fan as well, especially olive. That green face GMT does look off in gold...I wonder if it's the black bezel. I really like the gold/blue Subs, and their bezel matches the face. I've got a gold/green watch (Spaceview), and I really like the colors together.
I like yellow gold watches, and have one with a black dial. I also like the all gold Sub with blue dial and bezel. I am also a fan of the color green. I just don't think it worked on the previous YG GMT green dial. Perhaps it was the shade of green they chose. While I do think the color green used on the current YG Daytona with green dial is a big improvement over the color used for the yellow gold GMT years ago, I can't say that I really love the YG Daytona with a green dial. The Space View looks different, and it is not as big or bold as a GMT...so maybe in smaller doses that combination works better to my eyes.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.