• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, let's change the rules to set a $30K limit, which is realistic for three watches. Assume that you're buying a new watch at MSRP from an AD (no discount because you're a regular customer or because you're buying from a gray) or less if the watch is readily available at a discount.
Are we requiring these to be new? If not, and 30k was my limit and it had to go to 3 watches, then I'd stick with 3 I already have that I bought pre-owned for under $30k in total.

1. Casual - AP Royal Oak Chrono 26300st Navy dial
2. Sport - Rolex 14060 Submariner
3. Dress - Cartier Tank Basculante in steel.

IMG_20191230_114321_985.jpg

IMG_20200313_140117_048.jpg

IMG_20200101_181445_991.jpg

If we're doing no budget and must be new new then I'd keep it pretty similar (I can get NIB Blancpains still)

1. Casual - AP Royal Oak 15202
2. Sport - Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe Limited Edition For HODINKEE
3. Dress - Cartier Crash

Last edited:

Scuppers

Reaction score
And it has begun: Watchbox have reduced the prices on a few Journe’s. Still have a few crazy prices, but it’s reasonable to believe they will drop, too, sooner or sooner.

Jerkstore

Reaction score
Just bought my first Rolex and decided to go down the internet Rolex rabbit hole. Checked out the Rolex forums and my god is that just Niketalk for watches. I'll just stick to checking pics on instagram.

NakedYoga

Reaction score
Now the unwashed masses will get their grubby paws on Submariners, and the True Collectors™ will resort to pearl clutching.

rodgers12

Reaction score
My understanding, Dufour is working exclusively on private commissions.

Ordered Akrivia through the Hour Glass, Melbourne.
Interesting - makes sense especially since that unique Simplicity w/ the Arabic dial popped up the other week

If only I could get a piece commissioned by Dufour

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Now the unwashed masses will get their grubby paws on Submariners, and the True Collectors™ will resort to pearl clutching.
The way some owners of the desirable SS Rolex models on Rolex Forums put it, everyone who wants to see the Rolex bubble pop and prices return to MSRP is either a heartless vulture who is rooting for economic collapse or a tire kicking cheapskate who won't even buy at MSRP.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The way some owners of the desirable SS Rolex models on Rolex Forums put it, everyone who wants to see the Rolex bubble pop and prices return to MSRP is either a heartless vulture who is rooting for economic collapse or a tire kicking cheapskate who won't even buy at MSRP.
I feel like TRF has a very different feel than any other watch forum online... probably why I've never taken to it. I like most of the other forums but TRF always seems off-putting to me

Last edited:

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I feel like TRF has a very different feel than any other watch forum online... probably why I've never taken to it. I like most of the other forums but TRF always seems off-putting to me
I'm a member of TRF but haven't posted. Hazing of newbies and trolling in threads occurs everywhere, but it seems to be worse there. A lot of posters take themselves and whatever they're posting so seriously. In the end, they're just watches.

Texasmade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a member of TRF but haven't posted. Hazing of newbies and trolling in threads occurs everywhere, but it seems to be worse there. A lot of posters take themselves and whatever they're posting so seriously. In the end, they're just watches.
The mods over there are really serious. You can't discuss politics, religion, guns/weapons, or say fuck without getting a warning. They're also quick to ban people.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have to imagine that Rolex will slow delivery of SS models to dealers in anticipation or slower traffic. Too bad as many of us on the list would or are still buyers.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rolex, Tudor, PP postponing new model announcements for 2020.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider when discussing grey dealers "dropping prices" is that in some cases they're just new inventory they bought at lower prices. I'm already seeing that. However that's not the same as dropping prices on existing inventory, which depending on who you follow is happening but not by a lot just yet.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider when discussing grey dealers "dropping prices" is that in some cases they're just new inventory they bought at lower prices. I'm already seeing that. However that's not the same as dropping prices on existing inventory, which depending on who you follow is happening but not by a lot just yet.
I pretty much just watch Chrono24 for Sub Date, DJ, and GMT and filtered by lowest price, new 2019 and in North America

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Have to imagine that Rolex will slow delivery of SS models to dealers in anticipation or slower traffic. Too bad as many of us on the list would or are still buyers.
I'm not sure Rolex can limit supply without devastating their ADs. Most ADs are in high-rent neighborhoods and have to pay their landlord and (presumably) their employees as well while closed. They're going to have to hit the ground running when they reopen with best-selling models.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.