• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got a Drake's chore coat in the rust color yesterday and after sleeping on it, and not sure whether or not to keep it. I love the material, but the fit is a bit looser than I remember it being when I tried it on in stores a while back.

While I don't want it to be skin tight, the drape near the front feels a tad blousy. For $1,800, I kind of want the fit to be perfect. :)

Is this how it's supposed to fit? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

image uploader
I'll caveat what I'm about to say and state that if you don't love the fit, no amount of strangers on the internet will be able to convince you otherwise.

However, I think it looks good. A chore coat is supposed to be a little more slouchy and not as fitted as tailoring. The arms length and coat length seems good. The shoulders fall off a little, but again that is consistent with a chore coat fit. If you don't think it'll be too short on the arms,, you could try a size down and compare the two fits

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got a Drake's chore coat in the rust color yesterday and after sleeping on it, and not sure whether or not to keep it. I love the material, but the fit is a bit looser than I remember it being when I tried it on in stores a while back.

While I don't want it to be skin tight, the drape near the front feels a tad blousy. For $1,800, I kind of want the fit to be perfect. :)

image uploader
I'll only speak for myself, as I know that some do want a trimmer fit on their chore jackets, but this is exactly how I like mine to fit. I'm a TTS 42 and have recently been sizing up to a 44 on these to get what I think is the optimal look. As @jischwar so nicely outlines, this is how I think a chore jacket should look.

That said, it might be helpful if someone with longer-term experience with the suede chore jacket could comment on whether the suede here tends to stretch. If you already find the fit to be borderline, then the jacket stretching a half size, as suede sometimes will do, might put it over that line. In that case, a size down might make sense. But I think I remember someone saying that the suede is quite robust and doesn't tend to stretch much, in which case I'd stick with this size.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

image uploader
I'll caveat what I'm about to say and state that if you don't love the fit, no amount of strangers on the internet will be able to convince you otherwise.

However, I think it looks good. A chore coat is supposed to be a little more slouchy and not as fitted as tailoring. The arms length and coat length seems good. The shoulders fall off a little, but again that is consistent with a chore coat fit. If you don't think it'll be too short on the arms,, you could try a size down and compare the two fits
I'll only speak for myself, as I know that some do want a trimmer fit on their chore jackets, but this is exactly how I like mine to fit. I'm a TTS 42 and have recently been sizing up to a 44 on these to get what I think is the optimal look. As @jischwar so nicely outlines, this is how I think a chore jacket should look.

That said, it might be helpful if someone with longer-term experience with the suede chore jacket could comment on whether the suede here tends to stretch. If you already find the fit to be borderline, then the jacket stretching a half size, as suede sometimes will do, might put it over that line. In that case, a size down might make sense. But I think I remember someone saying that the suede is quite robust and doesn't tend to stretch much, in which case I'd stick with this size.

1) Nice car...
2) what @jischwar said. It looks good, and fits (to my eye) how it is intended to fit. However, if you are unhappy with it. it doesn't matter what we say.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

image uploader

When I was in high school I had a new leather bomber jacket. An older guy I worked with said "Nice jacket, now you just need some shoulders to go with it". That's kind of how I feel about this fit for you. I'd probably try a size down and see how it works...but if you're OK with the shoulder/arm fit, I don't personally see a problem with the volume in the chest/torso.

SirDope

Reaction score

image uploader
to be completely honest, chore coats are meant to be a little loose, hence the name, chore. All you need, is to have the arms tapered a bit from shoulder seam, and have the core taken in a bit, i'd say around inch or inch and a half.

Wanderlust3

Reaction score
Hey guys, thank you for the feedback! I really appreciate it!

I'm not sure why it never occurred to me to try on a 36 in the store... it might make sense to see if I can try one out. I think part of what threw me off was that the fit on the model seems a lot trimmer.

This is interesting. I never considered that the material itself might stretch. In that case, I think trying on a 36 before committing would be a really good idea.

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve never had suede or leather stretch that much that it would be half a size or a size up. If it was tight on you and there were more higher stress areas then yea it may stretch but for a more relaxed fit like yours I don’t see it stretching.

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve never had suede or leather stretch that much that it would be half a size or a size up. If it was tight on you and there were more higher stress areas then yea it may stretch but for a more relaxed fit like yours I don’t see it stretching.
I've definitely had some more fitted leathers that have stretched a couple cm in the chest, and perhaps added a cm in the sleeve as the leather relaxed through wear. But you're absolutely right that this almost certainly wouldn't happen with a relaxed fit like the one in the photo. Lining also makes a difference with this, I find, and I believe the current version of the suede chore is lined, correct? In that instance, you're also less likely to experience stretching.

wahnamhong

Reaction score

image uploader
Imho it looks good on you. This is indeed how a chore jacket should fit in my view. Also taking into account that you are still able to add layers like a polo and sweater or a chunky roll neck knit. I believe you wore a t shirt here?

I would not recommend altering the jacket, too much risk of someone messing it up. If anything maybe do some more shoulder work outs :)

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, thank you for the feedback! I really appreciate it!

I'm not sure why it never occurred to me to try on a 36 in the store... it might make sense to see if I can try one out. I think part of what threw me off was that the fit on the model seems a lot trimmer.

This is interesting. I never considered that the material itself might stretch. In that case, I think trying on a 36 before committing would be a really good idea.
Just checked that size chart and man a 38 looks about perfect for me

polyfusion

Reaction score
Question - can someone explain to me why the tweed jackets at drakes fit me so poorly but the cotton and linen fit me so well ?
Is it the fabric? Or do they use a different maker?

Trevallon

Reaction score

image uploader
I think it looks very good. Even with the slightly slimmer pants there doesn't seem to be a noticeable "break" in the silhouette.

undertheskin

Reaction score
looks a size big to me.
i don't think the jacket is intended to look like this when sized properly.
ofc you can easily get away with it as it's a chore coat but if aren't into "big fits" and this stuff or don't see yourself being into it in the future i would just get a size down - layering still shouldn't be a problem.

Ancestral Star

Reaction score
Question - can someone explain to me why the tweed jackets at drakes fit me so poorly but the cotton and linen fit me so well ?
Is it the fabric? Or do they use a different maker?

I think all Drake’s jackets are made by the same maker. I think Belvest in years prior, no I’m not sure who makes them now.

But I've had the opposite problem in the past. I wear a size 36 and the linen jackets always felt slouchy on me. Chase, who worked at the Crosby St. shop at the time, said he sized down on all the linen jackets for that reason. (This was before they offered a size 34 in jackets, so sizing down was no option for me.)

That said, I own several Drake’s jackets, including the current gray herringbone tweed and the fabric is a bit spongier than say a basketweave wool. So it does feel a bit different on the body, I think. But YMMV.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads