• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

takashi78

Reaction score
Well if even Brycelands is doing it.....must be good right?

1573787300993.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
$1,500 doesn't seem unusual to me for a leather jacket.

Those colors are a bit too vivid for me, but as Gerry noted, patchwork "fun" designs date back to at least early Brooks Brothers. The mishmash of primary colors has also popped up elsewhere. Bryceland's and Rowing Blazers, as mentioned earlier, recently came out with their version of Brooks fun shirts. Nigel Cabourn came out with a fun version of their Everest parka. And Blue the Great, a streetwear artist, just did a "fun" colorway for his Nike collab as part of their Fearless series.

I also like Greg's Air Max 90s, which aren't really derived from fun shirts, but exhibit the same ethos. It's not really a new design idea, but I think it comes out of guys willing to be a bit more free with what they're wearing nowadays.

The first photo below is of a vintage Brooks shirt. As old as prep itself.

I tried to get Ascot Chang to make me "fun" pajamas a few years ago using the leftover shirting scraps from previous dress shirt commission. Unfortunately, they're not able to do it because it's more work to piece together all the different scraps. I didn't ask whether they'd be willing to do it for an upcharge, but I've always thought it would be a fun thing to wear at home.

I think Chipp was also the first to do patchwork tweeds, but the idea at some point made it all the way to Huntsman.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, so who is stepping up to buy the chore coat now that we know that it is an old, mainstream idea?

If you know someone who is about to graduate from clown college, it could make a nice gift.

you're out here talking about clown college but you legit wanted to buy these $1000 sneakers

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a size 42 and they usually sell out by the end of the season. I'll be curious to see, come sale time, what is still available in the various items we've argued about these past few months.

It is interesting to watch Drake's and The Armoury pull farther apart stylistically. I guess it makes sense to not have them mirror each other too closely. I'm seriously looking forward to checking out The Armoury's new tailoring line.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From a marketing perspective, we would hardly mention this suede chore coat, no matter how much we might like it, if it was solid navy. Successful brands always have editorial pieces that are visually interesting and fun. And, there is a market for such expressive pieces. It may not be high volume but it is there.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This little casual look will cost you $2,500 (including shoes and shirt)...Anyone on here that actually buys this stuff at full price? Or are we all circling like buzzards waiting for the sale to go belly up?
View attachment 1280218
Personally not waiting for the sale to buy anything this season. I can't imagine ever wearing a sweater/sweatshirt with a stupid "D" on it. $900 for that jacket?

The only thing I sort-of liked is that flannel chore coat but it's not worth the price even at 50% off.

Sigh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics