• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll wait for better product shots but nothing really catches my eye (but i'm not surprised). It's all a bit too 'clean' for my taste. Might be interested in the bomber.

Thats how I feel as well... who is this even targeted towards? Seems like perfect for salarymen in Japan, but outside of that it doesnt fit any niche, I cant see any of this being used for business casual wear in Western markets. The clean tech minimalism angle this is pushing doesnt really fit into any niche, and certainly isn't creating one.

pmbonar

Reaction score
Same feelings, too. There may be some interesting stitch details and cuts best seen in person. I'm actually only interested in the double pocket blouson and stand collar shirt.

Couple of articles with some product close ups:

cafedandy

Reaction score
Couple of articles with some product close ups:

Thanks for this! I was able to also see some of the +J items in person with the Uniqlo Lifewear SS21 exhibit in Ho Chi Minh City that opened today. My impressions in general is still the same nice and generally higher quality as with the previous season. Didn't take much photos due to their not so good lighting, so just some thoughts here.
Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 6.59.49 PM.png

The tailored suit jacket and pants which are half-lined and using dry touch tropical wool - but not sure if I like it because it feels like Kando (the good kind of Kando), silhouette is like a loose Kando jacket (not that they are bad, but maybe I just miss the old +J silhouette that was a bit more tailored). The striped navy suit is a different material - Australian Merino wool with an iridescent finish in person.
Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 6.59.53 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 6.59.59 PM.png

The silk-cotton knits (cardigan, polo, sweater) feel quite luxurious as I've tried them on and has smooth and light handfeel - like a very fine and glossy extra fine merino wool they usually have.
Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 7.00.06 PM.png

Shirting generally uses the same supima cotton fabric and shell buttons.The Military Blouson is similar to the FW version, sans the padding and is quite cool actually. The cargo shorts and the pleated trousers use a twill fabric which is substantial yet light. The selvedge denim is also nicely done but it's a but thin - in which I feel the U version has a more 'raw denim' feel.

NYLON

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the shirting? (Especially the ones with chord at the hems..)

I feel they are 30% higher than expected pricing..

fatsu

Reaction score
I'm really starting to like the oversized oxford from the FW20 U collection. Any recommendations on brands that sell similar? Our Legacy borrowed shirt looks nice but it's even wider I think...

cafedandy

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the shirting? (Especially the ones with chord at the hems..)

I feel they are 30% higher than expected pricing..
I got that one, the Oversized Shirt Blouson. It is indeed a bit pricy, but so far the quality for me is good. It's the same poplin used for the rest of the shirting, maybe the details of pockets and chords added to the cost. It's pretty substantial fabric but can get wrinkled as any shirt fabric. I still recommend it, TTS is ok.

NYLON

Reaction score
I'm really starting to like the oversized oxford from the FW20 U collection. Any recommendations on brands that sell similar? Our Legacy borrowed shirt looks nice but it's even wider I think...

OL burrowed shirt is certainly 1.5 size O/S (at least on me)
But i still went with my usual OL size for the intended fit. (like a tent..)

cafedandy

Reaction score
Here’s some thoughts and fit pics on +J SS21 as it released today where I am, actually not much hype in Vietnam so I had some time to look through:

Outerwear
I didn’t try much except for the oversized military blouson, oversized wool-linen jacket, wool tailored jackets and the short parka.

The oversized military blouson is good TTS to allow for some layering but I think it can be safe to size down if you’re on the slim side.

The oversized wool-linen jacket is alright, but I personally like the U poly-linen version more if you're looking for a linen blend jacket this season.

Now that I’ve tried on the full wool suit, it can still be a good choice for warm weather but I personally didn’t prefer the dry handfeel of the wool on the gray and black variants - it feels like Kando jackets (which are good in itself) and can feel a bit stiff for me. The striped navy has a bit of an iridescent sheen but the wool drapes better as it is softer.

The short parka was just OK, it felt a bit ordinary to me. Maybe I just find it a bit thin than the inline Uniqlo parkas.

I also tried the Women's Safari Jacket in a size up and it fits nicely although a bit loose and having an A-line silhouette. I wish this one had a men's version. Ugh.

Knits
Really like the silk cotton knits, but I only got the silk cotton cardigan in a size up for additional drape, this one may look very plain but I really like the soft texture, like their extra fine merino but just smoother. Since the size for this is slightly larger than last season’s cardigan, you can take TTS and it will still be relaxed.

Also got the silk cotton polo (with color block sleeve) is something I didn’t plan to get, but when I tried it, it just looked really good than your usual Dad polos.

Shirts
Always the one I look forward to as this is Jil Sander’s specialty. Most of the regular collar shirting were carried over from FW20, so I only got the new models such as the oversized blouson shirt jacket, hidden placket one, the oversized stand collar (which has an interesting placket detail). I also tried on the open collar S/S shirts and the stitching details and half raglan sleeve have a certain shape. The fabric is same as FW, using the same supima cotton and shell buttons, with fine stitchwork. It’s not perfect, it still wrinkles as any other shirt fabric, designer or not, but for this quality at this price, I believe it’s a good value.

Cut and sew
I’m not much into hoodies and sweats so I only touched them and they seem nicely made with a slightly dry hand feel. The Supima polos are also good for their minimal placket and relaxed fit.

For the Supima S/S tees, yes they look very ordinary tees, but for some reason they have a certain shape to them, must be due to the slightly slanted shoulder seam and slightly higher crew neck. I have the L/S version from FW which I’ve used regularly and still feel as good as new, so I expect these to be the same. If you’re looking for good basic solid Supima tees, I think this is the next best choice to the inline Uniqlo Supima tees.

Bottoms
Selvedge jeans I really wanted, but alas, they are for slim-legged people. Thinner with a slight stretch but still fairly substantial. I also tried on the Wide fit cargo half pants, pretty interesting and has a but of a military vibe, waist fits TTS but goes wide towards the hem, like gurkha shorts. What I did get are the pleated tapered pants in natural, which fit a bit relaxed but tapers nicely towards the hem.

Overall, +J SS21 for me is still generally good, especially if you are looking for new additions to your essentials or you’re into Jil Sander’s minimal design and aesthetic. As always, the womenswear always looks better. Comparisons to the initial +J seasons from years back is inevitable, we all hope to see a bit more experimentation and surprise, but I feel that the simplicity of these pieces are apt for this period, and even for a long time. The shirting has the most +J feeling for me, and always the best choice. I feel that it’s good to get pieces you genuinely want or need, no need to get carried away with hype. :)

Attachments

• File_000.jpeg
    File_000.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 180
  • File_001.jpeg
    File_001.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 198
  • File_002.jpeg
    File_002.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 187
  • File_003.jpeg
    File_003.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 191
  • File_004.jpeg
    File_004.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 174
  • File_005.jpeg
    File_005.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 184
  • File_006.jpeg
    File_006.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 209
  • File_007.jpeg
    File_007.jpeg
    230.5 KB · Views: 219
  • File_008.jpeg
    File_008.jpeg
    233.4 KB · Views: 218
  • File_009.jpeg
    File_009.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 227
  • File_010.jpeg
    File_010.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 228
  • File_011.jpeg
    File_011.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 221
  • File_012.jpeg
    File_012.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 208
  • File_013.jpeg
    File_013.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 256
  • File_014.jpeg
    File_014.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 246

NonChalant321

Reaction score
Here’s some thoughts and fit pics on +J SS21 as it released today where I am, actually not much hype in Vietnam so I had some time to look through:

Outerwear
I didn’t try much except for the oversized military blouson, oversized wool-linen jacket, wool tailored jackets and the short parka.

The oversized military blouson is good TTS to allow for some layering but I think it can be safe to size down if you’re on the slim side.

The oversized wool-linen jacket is alright, but I personally like the U poly-linen version more if you're looking for a linen blend jacket this season.

Now that I’ve tried on the full wool suit, it can still be a good choice for warm weather but I personally didn’t prefer the dry handfeel of the wool on the gray and black variants - it feels like Kando jackets (which are good in itself) and can feel a bit stiff for me. The striped navy has a bit of an iridescent sheen but the wool drapes better as it is softer.

The short parka was just OK, it felt a bit ordinary to me. Maybe I just find it a bit thin than the inline Uniqlo parkas.

I also tried the Women's Safari Jacket in a size up and it fits nicely although a bit loose and having an A-line silhouette. I wish this one had a men's version. Ugh.

Knits
Really like the silk cotton knits, but I only got the silk cotton cardigan in a size up for additional drape, this one may look very plain but I really like the soft texture, like their extra fine merino but just smoother. Since the size for this is slightly larger than last season’s cardigan, you can take TTS and it will still be relaxed.

Also got the silk cotton polo (with color block sleeve) is something I didn’t plan to get, but when I tried it, it just looked really good than your usual Dad polos.

Shirts
Always the one I look forward to as this is Jil Sander’s specialty. Most of the regular collar shirting were carried over from FW20, so I only got the new models such as the oversized blouson shirt jacket, hidden placket one, the oversized stand collar (which has an interesting placket detail). I also tried on the open collar S/S shirts and the stitching details and half raglan sleeve have a certain shape. The fabric is same as FW, using the same supima cotton and shell buttons, with fine stitchwork. It’s not perfect, it still wrinkles as any other shirt fabric, designer or not, but for this quality at this price, I believe it’s a good value.

Cut and sew
I’m not much into hoodies and sweats so I only touched them and they seem nicely made with a slightly dry hand feel. The Supima polos are also good for their minimal placket and relaxed fit.

For the Supima S/S tees, yes they look very ordinary tees, but for some reason they have a certain shape to them, must be due to the slightly slanted shoulder seam and slightly higher crew neck. I have the L/S version from FW which I’ve used regularly and still feel as good as new, so I expect these to be the same. If you’re looking for good basic solid Supima tees, I think this is the next best choice to the inline Uniqlo Supima tees.

Bottoms
Selvedge jeans I really wanted, but alas, they are for slim-legged people. Thinner with a slight stretch but still fairly substantial. I also tried on the Wide fit cargo half pants, pretty interesting and has a but of a military vibe, waist fits TTS but goes wide towards the hem, like gurkha shorts. What I did get are the pleated tapered pants in natural, which fit a bit relaxed but tapers nicely towards the hem.

Overall, +J SS21 for me is still generally good, especially if you are looking for new additions to your essentials or you’re into Jil Sander’s minimal design and aesthetic. As always, the womenswear always looks better. Comparisons to the initial +J seasons from years back is inevitable, we all hope to see a bit more experimentation and surprise, but I feel that the simplicity of these pieces are apt for this period, and even for a long time. The shirting has the most +J feeling for me, and always the best choice. I feel that it’s good to get pieces you genuinely want or need, no need to get carried away with hype. :)

Great review, as always. I'm interested in the silk cotton polo. Is it pretty loose in fit? I used to wear US size S in the dry ex pique polos, but have switched to M for a bit of a looser fit. Size S just felt a bit short in the torso, but M is a bit bagger than I would prefer.

Also, is the silk cotton material machine washable?

cafedandy

Reaction score
Great review, as always. I'm interested in the silk cotton polo. Is it pretty loose in fit? I used to wear US size S in the dry ex pique polos, but have switched to M for a bit of a looser fit. Size S just felt a bit short in the torso, but M is a bit bagger than I would prefer.

Also, is the silk cotton material machine washable?
Thank you! Hope it helps in your selection. I'm wearing the polo atm and enjoy it's relaxed fit TTS. I tried it also one size up and it can still work if you're into oversized.

They didn't mention if it was machine washable but just recommended to use wool/silk detergent.
I usually just wash them in a laundry net with the most delicate setting using shampoo or wool/silk soap)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads