• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The umbrella, cane, riding crop and miscellaneous accessories Appreciation thread

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Number 2,3 and 4 made by me. The others were made by professional stickmakers. Number 1 is particularly fine.

SNLMODLER

Reaction score
What nrands of umbrellas should I look at. I would like something better than the 3 dollar one I have from cvs, but I am not keen on spending over 50. I work in banking so being conservative is a must too.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood
Number 2,3 and 4 made by me. The others were made by professional stickmakers. Number 1 is particularly fine.

I'm even more impressed, culverwood. Very well done indeed.

I like your avatar, too. Always been a big fan of Stewart Granger.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SNLMODLER
What nrands of umbrellas should I look at. I would like something better than the 3 dollar one I have from cvs, but I am not keen on spending over 50. I work in banking so being conservative is a must too.
Look for a RL or BB sale and you can get a workable umbrella for $50. I actually have a BB that I travel with.

Lucy J

Reaction score
Another harsh test for my cherrywood Brigg on Wednesday lunchtime, when it survived a pretty violent wind and rain storm in the City of London. Some places between the tall buildings are real wind tunnels and the rain was coming down in sheets. I had to hang on tight to the Brigg for dear life with both hands but it came through, unlike lots of other umbrellas of all sizes which ended up in bins or at the side of the pavement!

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
James Smith Cherrybark

It is made in Italy and could very well have been made by Talarico as suggested by some. The mechanism looks similar to me. But the Smith's is more refined than any of the ready made Talarico umbrellas I saw earlier this year. They could have been made to different standards by the same company. The shafts of the Talarico bark umbrellas that I saw were unfinished and knobby, sans sterling silver collar, not metal tipped and not cut to height. OTOH, the extra refinement doubles the price, if not more.

I was told at James Smith at Cherrybark uncommon but they didn't tell me why. They did say that the bark umbrellas are generally more difficult to manufacture because they have to be grown. The other single piece umbrellas are made from plank wood.

Brigg had similar umbrellas for not much more. But they couldn't box it for me for travel at the store. They did offer to ship it for me from the factory.

Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Strangely, this kept selling out at their NYC store.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

James Smith Cherrybark

I was told at James Smith at Cherrybark uncommon but they didn't tell me why. They did say that the bark umbrellas are generally more difficult to manufacture because they have to be grown. The other single piece umbrellas are made from plank wood.

True in part as but it is not more difficult to manufacture it is more difficult to manufacture in large numbers to a fixed level of quality, diameter etc. Making a stick or umbrella from a single barked sapling for yourself is not difficult what is difficult is to do it down to a price and to ensure there is some uniformity among the items you produce.

It is easy to put a piece of wood through a machine to plane it to a fixed diameter and then bend, stain and finish those pieces in bulk and although there are still many ash walking sticks made the old fashioned way other wood are less common

Stever174

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy myself a James Smith umbrella - any opinions please. I currently have a Brigg golfer but wondered about something a little more chic, but still sturdy? The pictures above of the J Smith look great.......

hangthree

Reaction score

I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy myself a James Smith umbrella - any opinions please. I currently have a Brigg golfer but wondered about something a little more chic, but still sturdy? The pictures above of the J Smith look great.......

I have a James Smith umbrella that I picked up in their London shop about 2 years ago. It is fantastic - navy canopy and solid stick construction. The wood type escapes me. Very sturdy.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a hard time finding Brigg umbrellas in the Philadelphia/NY area. Everywhere I looked in NY that was listed as carrying them no longer had them.

I finally settled on ordering one from Classic Luggage in DC. I wanted a POW in oak with a navy canopy, but that would have taken 8-10 weeks. I needed one now so I purchased a oak with silver in classic black. Pretty happy with it. Maybe when I need a new one in 20 years I will custom order one.

emptym

Reaction score

Some canes / walking sticks.
HazelwithCowHornbyBobGoddard-1.jpg
Cow Horn on Hazel
BuffaloonHazel.jpg
Buffalo Horn on Hazel
BurrAshonAsh.jpg
Burr Ash on Ash
BurrrElmonRose-1.jpg
Burr Elm on Rose
RamsHornonRosebyBobGoddard-1.jpg
Rams Horn on Rose
RamsHornonHazel-Bought.jpg
Rams Horn on Hazel
7c3a.jpg
Eagle headed cane.
Awesome.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The shafts of the Talarico bark umbrellas that I saw were unfinished and knobby, sans sterling silver collar, not metal tipped
Actually Talarico uses a real horn tip instead of metal, not meant to last, but very nice

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics