A Curated Best of (with extra curation!)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Alright so I asked a number of folks, and I'll be asking a few more, to select their five favorite fits from the Composite Thread by whatever criteria they want. I generally asked folks who I knew had a pretty solid sense of where they were stylistically (as opposed to folks still developing). I thought it would be interesting to see if there was anything about how they dressed that manifested in what they liked.

Since I asked a number of people, I'll be posting new sets every few days as the responses trickle in. Probably five at a time as any more might be information overload.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [/quote]
    Since I'm already fanboi-ing (Click to show)
    I wish I could do stuff like this...

2) In some ways the exact opposite of (1), Henry just does everything right.

You look at how formulaic yet consistently good his outfits are and you think that it should be easy to be well dressed. But for some reason, very few people get there.

Everything fits well. Colors schemes are simple but there's always a bit of texture to add some interest.

It really is everything we all know (or should know) how to do but don't usually do.
    3) Butler's steez lies right in the middle of the Tirailleur - Henry Carter axis.

It's all beautifully executed by his tailors but always just a little further than classic (or at least what's generally considered classic / canonical nowadays, given his fondness for stiff detachable collars and the like).

I picked this photo because the grey on grey on grey looks good. You probably shouldn't be able to pull that off but he manages to do it.
    4) Sometimes it really is just as simple as going to a good bespoke tailor and letting him do his thing.

You don't see very many good looking DBs. But when you find one, it really can stand on its own.
    5) I picked this photo of TTO because it's a great example of picking a tailoring style that suits your body. Hopefully Theo won't mind my mentioning that he isn't exactly David Gandy but the cleaner chest, stronger shoulder and nipped waist of the British military style really flatter his frame.

He also has an amazing sense for patterns. The example in the spoiler is great example of that and also solves the surprisingly difficult (at times) problem of how to dress for the three weeks of summer in England.
    Patterns (Click to show)
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/234255/...ing-right-now-part-iii/71300_100#post_6961579

Honorable Mention)

Pingson rocks the 3-piece hard.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014

2. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Damn, I don't know how I missed that EFV summer fit...

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Of this five, Pingson's list is my favorite, followed by FM

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

plus one.

honestly, i dont know how i am going to keep this to just 5. i may see what i end up with, and if there are multiple fits from 5 or more different posters, ill pick my fave fit from each one.

when you look at all the 20+ thumbed fits from each poster who has a number of fits in that thread, you can start to see how each person really has a specific aesthetic, and i think it would be cool to show what was for me the highlight of each of those aesthetics.

5. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

I should probably add that when I selected the fits, I decided to only get only one fit per person that I selected. And I agree with what others have stated, there were probably 20 other fits I easily could have chosen instead.

But it was an interesting exercise to go through all the post and get a more comprehensive view of the fits from different people.....

6. in stitches

but you chose none for me, so clearly you did a bad job ! :angry:

7. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

I had the exact same problem. I had narrowed it down to 15 fits from which I honestly couldn't pick out a top 5, so I opened them in a bunch of windows and randomly x:ed out 10 fits. Sort of a sartorial roulette. Unfortunately Stitchy, Butler, Braddock and a bunch of equally great posts were x:ed. To my embarrassment one of my own fits stayed in the top 5 :embar:

On the other hand, if you don't love your own outfits you're doing it wrong :lol:

8. in stitches

that hurts, man. hurts so hard. :(

plox to PM me the fit(s) of mine that made your sartorial roulette wheel.

could not agree more.

9. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Rest assured you're one of my favourite posters on this forum.

These 2 made my top 15: 1, 2

Honourable mention to this SC which I think does your complexion justice, but would probably never work on me.

10. in stitches

first off, :inlove: and right back atcha!

secondly, those fits are in my top 20 list as well. still trying to decide my faves, both my own, and others. but your white fit is IN!!!

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

This was a very interesting exercise. I hadn't followed 20 thumb thread closely, so firstly it was entertaining to look through some really nice outfits.

Then came the hard part of selecting fits I liked. Long-listing was easy; I picked outfits that I thought had a certain extra je ne sais quoi beyond just being good, and ended up with about 15-20 outfits. I'm pleased to say that nearly all of my long list choices are represented in the final choices of that other curators made. I think that says something about what is an excellent fit; we might disagree in what is superlative vs merely excellent, but there's a clear jump between excellent and merely good. From what I can see from everyone's choices, that added element is personality. And I find that to be deeply reassuring, on a human level.

I then narrowed down the long list to the short two ways: firstly, I picked the best outfit for any given member with more than one fit in the long list. Secondly, if there were two similar outfits from different members, I chose which I figured was the best one, rather than have two of the same style in my final selection. These two processes got me down to about 7 picks, and then I simply let pure emotion get me down to 5.

What I like about my 5 choices:

Clags: I find some of his outfits very well put together technically but missing some of the joy inherent in nice clothes in the aspects of the colour and detail. This outfit combines good technical choices with real freshness & vivacity in the tie and square, making the whole come together beautifully. Especially when you see the close-up of the jacket colour in the original post, revealing it to be much nicer than in the distant photo. All the colours just work.
    Tira: I generally love his fits, and the in some respects they are the mirror image of Clags. This outfit ticks all those boxes. Beautiful bold colours, working in tension & synergy, and telling us something about the man through his clothes.
    Pingson: my favourite 3pc suit. Delightful palette; subdued, gentle, warm and comfortable.
    Crat: my favourite DB suit. Aggressive & confident
    EFV: summer suits are tricky beasts. There are two ways to pull them off IMO: effortless pristine coolness despite the heat or graceful rumpled acceptance of the day. Trying to do both is guaranteed failure. EFV manages the graceful rumpling archetype perfectly in this cotton suit.

12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

A few thoughts:

• FlyingMonkey's commentary was excellent (including the connection of CP and o/o)
    • The allegations of SF groupthink are overblown. Here we see a cross-section of the new SF Illuminati (as opposed to the Old Heads of the Once Great StyleForum [May It Rest In Peace]) recognizing a variety of styles and aesthetics as the best of the current era. Even AAS gets a shout-out
    • Theo and Tira are stone-cold killers
    • I wish some of the OHotOGSFMIRIP would peruse the 20-thumb thread and weigh in

13. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

I can assure you that you had several among the top 20, I am particularly fond of this and this

I also automatically disqualified myself when selecting fits. I know I like the way I dress so it seemed like a moot point to select my own fits..... :nodding:

14. in stitches

do not want. as least not from everyone in that crew. disaster waiting to happen that will just make everyone, or at least a lot of people, mad, and ruin the present goodness of the threads convo.

:slayer:

i am quite fond of those as well, tho there is a better version of the first one that is not in the compendium thread, it was done a while back. it will probably be in my top 5.

:crazy:

15. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

Same here.