The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

What would you expect from a British manufacturer...with the high cost of labour in the UK and diminishing
    number of semi & skilled people entering the trade, corners are bound to be cut - and to keep up with the
    the high demand in their RTW range, it's all down to economics.

Look at Anthony Cleverleys Semi-bespoke range - for £795 to £995 you expect them to be made onsite.
    But no, when I found out who makes them I placed more value on the manufacturers own brand at a fracton
    of the cost.

2. chogall

chogall Senior member

Same with F&S RTW. All about cost cutting on the unseen components to increase margins, decrease production time, and decrease the reliance on skilled labors.

I just hope G&G bespoke can stay at similar quality or even improve aesthetically away from those gaudy designs in their RTW range.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013

3. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

Rikod,

No offence taken on my side - it's an open forum to express one opinion with insight and fantastic pictures of the Vass shoes.
    Simply different strokes for different folks....I'll continue adding value to this great forum and Vass thread by adding more of my Vass collection
    for ALL to see and comment on. Many potential newbies are apprehensive posting their pictures if we were to be critical or direct with our views...I for sure will embrace them for posting.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ I have thoroughly enjoyed each and every makeup you've posted. Their both unique and well thought out. Not to mention, a pleasant contribution to an otherwise tired thread of very traditional viewpoints

5. Cal135

Cal135 Active Member

Work in process.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. bamboo

bamboo Senior member

7. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

What's the difference between storm welt and just the regular way the welt is made? I don't know if i make sense. I want to get a pair of Austerity Boots made, but unsure about this feature. And Vass does have Dainite, correct?

8. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

What can I say - Keep up the good work!

9. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

I originally asked for Dainite back in 2012 - but they only had the chunkier Italian Vibram sole which was more suited for rock climbing.

If you wanted other sole you had to provide them the material...But I do know Dainite is not available as of Jan this year.
    Some of my my new orders will be in Dainite...so nice to know the Vass boots will have a British Foundation. As Dainite a British
    trademark.

10. Cal135

Cal135 Active Member

It takes time to get a good tan, especially with the Nordic sun in March :)

[​IMG]

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ what color will they resemble when completed?

12. Cal135

Cal135 Active Member

A touch darker from the pictures. Not sure what to call it? Very light brown maybe?

13. rikod

rikod Senior member

-

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013

14. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

Actually it's still Vibram soles, just their copy of the Dainite-sole. Looks almost identical, but it often has rugged sides where the sole meets the welt. That's the only difference though, they are just as good.

15. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

This month John Lobb just taken delivery of a £50K laser machine to do their pattern cutting. Imagine the sheer number of redundancies of independent cutters around the Northampton area once the the machine in full force. You will soon notice the leather cut to your Chapels/Phillips are alot sharper and straighter than handheld knives. It makes sense as cost everywhere rising.