1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Distinguished Member

The best detail of the boot IMO is the brogue coming down the eyelets and curves towards the heel.

Wear in good health.

2. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior Member

Maybe the angle of the photo makes it look more elongated.
    This is the K last - is slightly longer than the stunted U last...

Size 44 - US 11 -

3. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior Member

Thank you Dr.

4. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

Cool blog J Ing - bookmarked.

5. VRaivio

VRaivio Distinguished Member

Ilovelobbs, I trust you had this made as a special order, but this style isn't on the Vass catalogue. Was there an additional charge for a unique design?

6. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior Member

Hello VR,

That's correct, special order - recent business meetings taken me to Budapest & Vienna last year.....spotted the opportunity to pop-in & order some boots directly...my lunch breaks in Budapest are never the same nowadays.

I caught Mr Vass with Eva at the new store by chance and enquired about their minimal boot range. In reality their demand for boots are not as high in the local market, especially the pricng point.

Technically they can make all the shoes you see in their catalogue into a boot or high boot version - subject to leather type.
    I liked the Double Monks and River II sooooo much I asked for a special order in Boot (Monk) and High Boot (River II) version

There was no-surcharge, apart from my request for 3piece trees, steel toes; Shell; double sole and goyser...

Does this help?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

7. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

The USP of Vass: everything is MTO, at standard charges. Congratulations on choosing something so excellent and original.

8. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior Member

Thank you Mimo....

There was an ungentlemanlike guy on here who said my black boots were "Messy" and "would rather pay" 3 times for a pair of GG boots. I for sure would rather own 3 pairs of Vass to 1 pair of GG...If I am getting this sublime workmanship from Vass.

At least it doesn't "mess" up by bank balance...

9. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

The finish on G&G products seems excellent, I hear their quality control is tip-top (because they make all their own, including standard RTW lines), and the hand burnishing is really something. And also something that Vass don't do. They also have those slender, elongated lasts that are very elegant if that's your thing (although personally I think their "Deco" lasts are just too long and affected). So I can see what the ungentlemanly type might have been thinking.

But at the end of the day, I agree with you entirely: if you add trees and take away VAT, a standard pair of G&G shoes is more than twice the price of a Vass pair - and with Vass you get all the MTO option that would cost extra from G&G. And what's more, G&G, even in their higher priced Deco range, are giving you a gemmed, goodyear welted shoe whereas Vass are giving you a hand-welted shoe. Also, once you add in cordovan or exotics, the gap in price gets much wider too.

So yeah, I agree with you. Three pairs of Vass or even just two > one pair of G&G, even if it isn't in price!

10. rikod

rikod Distinguished Member

Yeah that was very stupid on my part, my apologies. I don't really feel that way anyway so I take those comments back.

I personally don't like sleek boots from any maker including Vass or GG and maybe the angle you are taking the pics make the boots look strange.

11. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

For what it's worth, Rikod, I have never found you ungentlemanly and certainly didn't realise you were the reference here! You're just...direct. :)

12. A Guy from Shanghai

A Guy from Shanghai Distinguished Member

Thanks mate. However, I am still not sure which one will fit me better? 39, 39.5, or 40? Guys, I need more of your suggestions, especially from small-footed gents.

I wear UK 6E in EG 202 last, US 6.5 B/D in Alden Hampton & Leydon lasts, US 6.5D in AE, UK 5.5-6E in C&J 325 last, US 6.5D in BB/C&J 240 last, US 7D in BB/C&J 317 last. My feet have relatively high arches.

What size should I get for VASS U, F, & P2 last?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

13. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Distinguished Member

Maybe's it's hard to get the shape of the shoe right when one's feet is long and huge. By all account, Shaq O' Neil's shoes look ugly, but I chalk that down to his US Size 22 feet.

14. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Distinguished Member

I'm also generally a US 11. What sizes do you wear in some other brands and lasts? I've got an idea of what I want to order from Vass and will ask Mr. Kuti for his advice, but since you're also an 11, I thought I'd see if you could provide some comparisons. Thanks!

15. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Distinguished Member

Thanks guys!