• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Appreciation Thread (Bespoke only)

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW guys need some collective thoughts here.

As I will be going to London from 2nd to 10th Apr, this time I want to get a pair of gator bespoke done.

As I live in Hong Kong, I do need this brand to take up regular HK visit for my fittings.

Any suggestions from you guys of where I should go?

Price wise I want to keep it around 4500 pounds or less.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BTW guys need some collective thoughts here.

As I will be going to London from 2nd to 10th Apr, this time I want to get a pair of gator bespoke done.

As I live in Hong Kong, I do need this brand to take up regular HK visit for my fittings.

Any suggestions from you guys of where I should go?

Price wise I want to keep it around 4500 pounds or less.

Of the London makers that travel to Hong Kong, Cleverley will be your only bet at that pricepoint.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, I take that back. I don't know Gaziano and Girling pricing for croc, and they travel to Hong Kong. Anyone weigh in?

I have sent each of them an email for inquiry.

Which will you prefer? I am looking something with a quicker turn out rate and will travel to HK more...

I don't want to have fitting each in every 9 months.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have sent each of them an email for inquiry.

Which will you prefer? I am looking something with a quicker turn out rate and will travel to HK more...

I don't want to have fitting each in every 9 months.

I've not used Gaziano and Girling, but have used John Lobb Saint James, Foster and Son and Cleverley. JLSJ will be way over budget (their croc prices are obscene) and Foster and Son less over budget, but this may be moot because I actually don't think they travel to HK, but I could be wrong. They've been expanding to other Asian cities recently.

I use Cleverley the most. They make a lighter shoe, are easy to work with, and have the most reasonable pricing. I don't know how often they travel to HK though, and they require two fittings the first time (in addition to being measured). JLSJ does not do fittings, so they will be the fastest. They make a heavier shoe, and some say a "blobby" shoe. I like JLSJ for certain styles. Their shoes are built to last.

To be honest I strongly suggest that you not use Croc for your first shoe with a bespoke maker. If they do not get your last shaped to the way you like, you'll have a very expensive disappointment.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've not used Gaziano and Girling, but have used John Lobb Saint James, Foster and Son and Cleverley. JLSJ will be way over budget (their croc prices are obscene) and Foster and Son less over budget, but this may be moot because I actually don't think they travel to HK, but I could be wrong. They've been expanding to other Asian cities recently.

I use Cleverley the most. They make a lighter shoe, are easy to work with, and have the most reasonable pricing. I don't know how often they travel to HK though, and they require two fittings the first time (in addition to being measured). JLSJ does not do fittings, so they will be the fastest. They make a heavier shoe, and some say a "blobby" shoe. I like JLSJ for certain styles. Their shoes are built to last.

To be honest I strongly suggest that you not use Croc for your first shoe with a bespoke maker. If they do not get your last shaped to the way you like, you'll have a very expensive disappointment.

Thx for your wise words.

Btw how you rate Foster and Son? I knew they do come to HK previously.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I want to get a pair of gator bespoke done........Price wise I want to keep it around 4500 pounds or less.

You might not be in luck with the price you want to pay.

John Lobb (London) charges for bespoke croc/gator £10,400 (without VAT)

The other West-End bespoke makers are likely to charge less, but probably not a great deal less. They also might be hesitant to make a pair of exotics as a first order. They like to start with a pair in calf, until they have nailed the last down.

John Lobb (Paris) charges for RTW (presumably made to order) between £6,300 and £7,300 (VAT included)

http://www.johnlobb.com/uk/models/precious-leather

P.S. I see that Jerry B. who is a regular customer of Cleverley's thinks the might be within your budget. Jerry ought to know Cleverley's prices better than I do.

Contact them and ask!

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well at least I can fall back on Okuyama or Spigola since I have worked with them before.

Cleverley just returned to me and price is within my means.

Besides west end firms.. what other maker one can think of?

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thx for your wise words.

Btw how you rate Foster and Son? I knew they do come to HK previously.

So far so good. I have the least experience with them, but was very pleased with the shape and finish of the first pair. They also have alot of expertise in more casual shoes, which I like, but might not be your style. Will be using them more in the future.

Their pricing is in-between Cleverlely and JLSJ. Was disappointed that they charge extra for trees, but the pricing for these is reasonable.

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, there is this new guy, Nicholas Templeman:

http://www.nicholastempleman.com

...but I've no info on his background.

Then there's Carré-Ducker:

http://carreducker.com

...but they don't have that prestige history and heritage some of us like.

Nicholas Cooper is cheaper:

http://stampshoes.com

...but if I recall, he has less handwork.

I'm sure there's a handful of others as well with websites.

Templeman used to work as lastmaker and fitter at John Lobb (London). Heard good things about him as such. I presume he's using freelancers for the making, but not sure, he might do that part as well nowadays.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads