• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Appreciation Thread (Bespoke only)

JermynStreet

Reaction score
Here's a pair I just finished...I'm fairly happy with these--lady's black Milano Adelaides with burgundy kangaroo bead. 1-1/4" Cuban heel, 8 iron outsole, welted and stitched at 11spi.

The burgundy bead could have been a little less "in your face" prominent. On a classic English shoe the bead around the topline, for instance, would barely be visible. Very subtle. But again, on this shoe, it is an accent and these are lady's' shoes so it needed to be implemented as a design element.

Tight stitches, indeed, DW. Excellent work, and thank you for sharing.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's a pair I just finished...I'm fairly happy with these--lady's black Milano Adelaides with burgundy kangaroo bead. 1-1/4" Cuban heel, 8 iron outsole, welted and stitched at 11spi.

The burgundy bead could have been a little less "in your face" prominent. On a classic English shoe the bead around the topline, for instance, would barely be visible. Very subtle. But again, on this shoe, it is an accent and these are lady's' shoes so it needed to be implemented as a design element.

Looking good!

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are the waist pegged or blind welted?

I know Vass pegs their lady's heels and western boots pegs the heels. My guess is this pair pegged but just wanted to make sure.

My conjecture is that pegged waist gives better waist support in the case of high heels, which could put too much stress on blind welts or even square waists. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Are the waist pegged or blind welted?

I know Vass pegs their lady's heels and western boots pegs the heels. My guess is this pair pegged but just wanted to make sure.

My conjecture is that pegged waist gives better waist support in the case of high heels, which could put too much stress on blind welts or even square waists. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The heels are pegged, the waist is blind welted.

I don't think that in the case of a woman's shoe...which will never be in the stirrup...pegs bring much to the table. I think the best reason for using them in a shoe such as this is that the thinner outsole is hard to channel, easier to peg.

As long as there is a decent shank support in the shoe and the surrounding construction is solid, there is no more stress on the waist of a high heel shoe than there is on the waist of a low heeled shoe.

--

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Tight stitches, indeed, DW. Excellent work, and thank you for sharing.

Thanks. Not a lot of people take the spi into consideration but it has always been a benchmark of excellence in shoemaking...esp. on the welt.

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The heels are pegged, the waist is blind welted.

I don't think that in the case of a woman's shoe...which will never be in the stirrup...pegs bring much to the table. I think the best reason for using them in a shoe such as this is that the thinner outsole is hard to channel, easier to peg.

As long as there is a decent shank support in the shoe and the surrounding construction is solid, there is no more stress on the waist of a high heel shoe than there is on the waist of a low heeled shoe.

--

Interesting.

Is it possible to re-welt a blind welted pair of shoes to regular welted?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Interesting.

I suspect the answer might depend on what you mean when you say "blind welt". As I understand it, a blind welt simply refers to a welt, often thinned, that is well inset under the edge of the insole. This would also move the inseam back under the waist as well. There was a link once upon a time that showed Anthony Delos channeling an insole and the holdfast in the waist had to have been close to a half inch in from the edge of the insole.

The welt is usually trimmed a little narrower and closer to the stitching as well simply because it is not meant to be seen.

You might be able to rewelt and not trim so closely.

Or...more likely...you would have to replace the insole and re-channel it before rewelting.

Last edited:

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Here is Madame Posh's explanation (the English translation back then, at Madame's behest, was done by yours truly :D)

http://newsaboutshoes.de/showthread.php?t=746

Notice how the holdfast is cut further away from the feather-edge than for conventional welting. If you want to change the blind welting to ordinary welting, you might get away with re-welting using a wider strip than standard. Otherwise, as DWF has suggested, you will have to remake the entire bottom work and prepare a new insole. Hardly an exercise to be done on a whim or on the cheap.

Just get a new upper made and start from scratch.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clifford Roberts used my newer Springline bespoke last. Fit is excellent as I found my previous last did not fit as well on this slip on design.

null-25.jpg

null-26.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads