• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Teacher Thread

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryoneo
What grade are you teaching?

Everything and anything.
The whole history department loves me, so I am the first they call when they need a sub. Looking at the summer school class list 1/2 look to be history, economics, health, or an arts class.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Summer school in NYC blows. The $$ is good though, ~$48 an hour, but I work afterschool during the year so I don't have to deal with summers. Afterschool sessions are voluntary and are enrichment-based rather than mandated. Dealing with kids who want to be there during the year is much better than dealing with kids who have to be there in July and August. What sucks is that I wind up blowing my afterschool checks during the year at Franks...
smile.gif

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Summer school in NYC blows. The $$ is good though, ~$48 an hour, but I work afterschool during the year so I don't have to deal with summers. Afterschool sessions are voluntary and are enrichment-based rather than mandated. Dealing with kids who want to be there during the year is much better than dealing with kids who have to be there in July and August. What sucks is that I wind up blowing my afterschool checks during the year at Franks...
smile.gif

Woah woah woah. After school cheques? Luckyyyyyy

Jangofett

Reaction score
Say, after so many posts by so many teachers, when are y'all gonna get into the stuff we want to hear, like sex with their students?

Since this happens so often statewide, I don't believe some of the stylish teacher members here cannot score some nubile young tail. And I am not talking about co-eds.

And, what about all those metal detectors in schools and the students who bring pieces and the fights and the stand offs?

O'Higgins

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jangofett
Say, after so many posts by so many teachers, when are y'all gonna get into the stuff we want to hear, like sex with their students?

Since this happens so often statewide, I don't believe some of the stylish teacher members here cannot score some nubile young tail. And I am not talking about co-eds.

And, what about all those metal detectors in schools and the students who bring pieces and the fights and the stand offs?

It happens less in my experience than you can imagine. 30 years ago there was some interest in me by the senior girls, but I had a professor who literally "preached" against "dating" your students. He told a horror story about a man he taught with in Colorado that did some serious time before the girl came forward and "told the truth."
Look, I moved the rostrum in my room a few years ago to the side of the classroom because I had a cheerleader sit on the front row in short skirts and no underwear.
In 30 years of teaching I NEVER enforced female dress code. I didn't want some Mom or Dad saying " Why are you LOOKING at my daughter?"

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
8th Graders graduated last wednesday. Wonderful ceremony. Last day was this past Tuesday, unfortunately over the weekend, one of the father's of a graduate committed suicide over an unpaid mortgage and other financial issues, such a sweet girl, I was gutted. He'll be buried tomorrow. Sad way to start the summer, but I have some professional development at the end of August, and a nice few weeks to relax before starting up again. Have a great summer guys.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's the *****. A student of mine's mom passed away a few weeks ago. Lot of us took it pretty hard. Summer school is starting up on Monday though, so that should be interesting. Haven't taught the course before so it'll be a challenge to fit it all in 6 weeks. Need to find work for the other half of my day though. Can't afford to only work half days.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngScholar
IMO some very good, thought-provoking stuff here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFc...feature=relmfu

Good video.
A few things I disagree with:
1. Ritalin and Adderrall are not dangerous. There are side effects, but some students can just not sit still without it.
2. College degrees still have some value. You can graduate from USC with a 3.7 and get a job making $60 a day as a substitute teacher.
laugh.gif

3. Great learning does not happen in groups. If you put four high school students in a group two will be on their phone, one will be working and the other one will be sleeping. Group work just doesn't work for high school students.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Good video.
A few things I disagree with:
3. Great learning does not happen in groups. If you put four high school students in a group two will be on their phone, one will be working and the other one will be sleeping. Group work just doesn't work for high school students.

It could work well in an AP class. Group work gets exceptional results with honors college freshmen.

Enjoy your summers, guys. As a college professor, I appreciate good teachers who prep my students well.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. People need to learn how to collaborate. Providing a scaffolding for what good group work looks like over time (from 8th until 12th grade) produces great results. To say that 'group work doesn't work for hs students' isn't true. This is part of the hidden curriculum- to teach students how to be good citizens, critical thinkers and be able to apply all relevant information on relevant projects, tests, etc. There's obviously a place for a lot of independent work but I really hope people aren't avoiding groupwork because it's loud or messy or doesn't produce 'exactly' what the teacher is looking for.

2. College degrees do have value. We're told they don't because it's the pushback against them, but at the end of the day it's a form of guided experience. I don't really care if you come out with a piece of paper, it's what you did during the degree that matters. Relates to point 1.

3. I think medicating must happen more in the US or at the elementary level. I don't see too much of it at the secondary up in Canada. Some kids really need it and some don't. The ones who do *realllllly* need it though.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CBrown85
1. People need to learn how to collaborate.
+1

Originally Posted by CBrown85
I really hope people aren't avoiding groupwork because it's loud or messy or doesn't produce 'exactly' what the teacher is looking for.

Trust me, group work is always a disaster. IME they have always been a complete waste of time.

In a 50 minute class it takes 10 minutes to explain the project(Usually a poster
baldy[1].gif
), 10 minutes to form a group, 10 minutes to pass out supplies, 10 minutes to actually work, and 10 minutes to finish up(Clean up the mess, turn in the project,...).

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
It could work well in an AP class.

I have never done group work in an AP class so I am not sure how well it works. The AP teachers in my district rarely need a sub. They really enjoy what they are doing.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
+1

Trust me, group work is always a disaster. IME they have always been a complete waste of time.

In a 50 minute class it takes 10 minutes to explain the project(Usually a poster
baldy[1].gif
), 10 minutes to form a group, 10 minutes to pass out supplies, 10 minutes to actually work, and 10 minutes to finish up(Clean up the mess, turn in the project,...).

Occasionally have those experiences, but fix them quick depending on the class. Grade 8s or 9s?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads