• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Robstrongo

Reaction score

The jacket is just too small, period.

Yeah, I was thinking it was too short, but at the same time was trying to somehow rationalize it in my head instead of facing the obvious, hence the post. Probably going to just chalk this one up as a loss and throw it up on the B/S forum.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've posted pics of this jacket before. I believe it's a pretty good fit on the chest and shoulders, but there's something that doesn't look right with the balance of the jacket as a whole. I firmly believe the waist is too high; not just the button stance, but also the (slight, I know) suppression. The result is that the jacket is giving me a pear shape, when I'm really more of an hourglass shape. I've lost a few more pounds and there's just a little bit of room for taking in - so what should I ask my tailor to do? Is it possible to reshape the jacket and move the waist to a lower position without making it look bad with the current button stance?

The jacket is fused and has a soft construction - do you believe the bottom button is high enough to be able to turn this into a 3-roll-2?

Note that the pants are being worn as high as they will go - that's navel level. I believe the picture angle is making them look like they're sitting at my hips, but they are actually at my waist.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I have photoshopped the picture above and added wider lapels, the amount of waist suppression I think I can afford, and lowered the button stance. Does this look better? Anything you would add, so I know what to look for when I start getting MTM/bespoke?

Modified pic in the spoiler below...

Thank you!

Last edited:

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross posted from WAYWRN
Here is the new Isaia base S navy suit I just got. Nothing has been altered, and I still need to have it cleaned and pressed. The inseam is a 35, so I know I the pants are too long. Thoughts?

I am wearing a white BB ESF shirt and a chocolate brown grenadine, along with peal suede shoes.

Please note that i have a large chest (44ish) and a 36 inch waist, and that I have a very large ass.

Also, does anyone know why the bottom of the suit coat billows out like I have a large stomach? Is that just because I have a large chest?

Thank you guys for the thoughts/criticism.

DSCF4716.jpg

DSCF4714.jpg

DSCF4712.jpg

DSCF4710.jpg

ZombieFlynn

Reaction score
Just a quick question for the tailors. I have a slightly low right shoulder (roughly 1" discrepancy), which throws off the fit of jackets made for symmetrical torsos. Most people wouldn't notice, but I do.
Is it possible to alter or tailor OTR jackets to compensate for this? Possibly by adding padding on the right shoulder, or reducing the padding on the left?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Just a quick question for the tailors. I have a slightly low right shoulder (roughly 1" discrepancy), which throws off the fit of jackets made for symmetrical torsos. Most people wouldn't notice, but I do.
Is it possible to alter or tailor OTR jackets to compensate for this? Possibly by adding padding on the right shoulder, or reducing the padding on the left?

1" low is more than a slightly low shoulder. Basic fix is to add a pad to the low side. Adjust the sleeve length after the pad is added, not before. Another alternative is to find a tailor that would remove the sleeve and recut the shoulder for your low side. Remove padding from the left side only if it is necessary. If you r right shoulder is low by 1" it is likely your right hip is higher than your left.

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's a reasonable amount to pay for these alterations?

shorten jacket sleeve, non working buttons, lined
shorten jacket length .5"
bring in the waist

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

New poster, in need of some serious help.  I ordered an Indochino suit for Christmas (my wife's present to me) and it came in the other day.  The pants seem to fit well but the jacket and vest are just a little off.  My town doesn't have a real "tailor" and I'm not sure exactly what I need to be asking for in a remake.  The shoulders seem off and bunch up near the back.  The hips of the jacket seem a bit wide. The upper back of the jacket seems tight while the upper chest area is loose. The jacket fits well across the widest part of my chest.  I am 6'3 and the jacket and vest both seem to be about 1" to 1.5" short on me.  

Am I close at all in these things?  What some advice on what to ask for in a remake of the vest and jacket? Any other thoughts and suggestions?  Thank you in advance.

(Edit) - Anyone have any ideas?  Little help, please?

according to their website, they will re cut new garments free. if you send the suit back include your photos.
draw arrows on the photos to point out the areas of your concerns as to where it is too tight and too loose.
the jacket is about an inch short.
tell them you have a right low shoulder and by how much.
there is a stylefourm tutorial as to how you can do this.
the vest is about 2' too short.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I just got this suit final sale online and am unsure whether I should keep it, or just cut my losses and sell it before sinking any more money into it. Obviously the seat and thigh of the pants would both need to be let out, and the arms would need to be shortened, but I feel the jacket is just a little too short. The chest and shoulders however are about as good as I’ve gotten a suit to fit OTR (usually between a 38S -40S), and the suit is fully canvased with a lot of nice hand finished details. What do you guys think, Is this suit salvageable? I appreciate your feedback.

yes the jacket is too short, and no remedy for that.
and very little if any to let out in the seat and the thigh.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hello,

I've posted pics of this jacket before. I believe it's a pretty good fit on the chest and shoulders, but there's something that doesn't look right with the balance of the jacket as a whole. I firmly believe the waist is too high; not just the button stance, but also the (slight, I know) suppression. The result is that the jacket is giving me a pear shape, when I'm really more of an hourglass shape. I've lost a few more pounds and there's just a little bit of room for taking in - so what should I ask my tailor to do? Is it possible to reshape the jacket and move the waist to a lower position without making it look bad with the current button stance?

The jacket is fused and has a soft construction - do you believe the bottom button is high enough to be able to turn this into a 3-roll-2?

Note that the pants are being worn as high as they will go - that's navel level. I believe the picture angle is making them look like they're sitting at my hips, but they are actually at my waist.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I have photoshopped the picture above and added wider lapels, the amount of waist suppression I think I can afford, and lowered the button stance. Does this look better? Anything you would add, so I know what to look for when I start getting MTM/bespoke?

Modified pic in the spoiler below...

Thank you! 

i have a problem it looks like there is about 8 inches difference between the coats waist and the trouser waist.
we are told that the trousers are set at your waist, that you cant change.
the waist is just above your hip bones, regardless where your navel is at.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a problem it looks like there is about 8 inches difference between the coats waist and the trouser waist.
we are told that the trousers are set at your waist,

Maybe they are a bit below the waist, but not by much, perhaps an inch or less; they can't go any higher because of the rise. But even if I wear higher rise pants, the jacket looks off. I believe the jacket is indeed very high waisted. Is that fixable or would it look bad with the current button stance? (since that can't be changed obviously...)

Thank you!

wannabe

Reaction score

What's a reasonable amount to pay for these alterations?
shorten jacket sleeve, non working buttons, lined
shorten jacket length .5"
bring in the waist

I have used two tailors, so from experience:

-shorten jacket sleeve: $20 for both sleeves/$30 for both sleeves.
-shorten jacket length: $30/$50
-bring in the waist: $15/$25.

It honestly varies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads