• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

matt1985

Reaction score
the two front views show a nice shaping at the waist , the right sleeve to be shortened to match the left.
the body length is good. the shoulder width, is it comfortable or does it feel too wide.
the side view shows the waist and seat need to come in a bit.
the back view is distorted, like a different garment entirely. every thing is reversed. is it the camera angle?

I think it may be the camera angel. My fiance took the photo's, and she just took them hurriedly... The shoulder width feels fine. It feels a little loose and baggy around the mid section, I don't know if waist suppression would fix this? Do the sleeves look ok? Someone suggested that the sleeves need to be reduced. Thank you.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thank you-- great advice from you guys. seems like the body is still big and boxy on suit 1, maybe that is the primary area (along with the wider trouser, which can't really be seen in that picture).

suit 2, yes,, trousers were altered when i purchased the suit, possibly there may be too much break as well, causing the crease to hang far from straight? they are flat fronts.

suit 1
the sleeves dont look too full ti me.
in narrowing sleeves be careful. do too much and the elbows get tight.
also since the narrowing stops at the armhole. too much makes the sleeves very slim
and the upper part remains large. its like a ladies old fashion leg of mutton sleeve.
suit 2
have the trousers been altered previously? it looks like the creases swing outward.

swolfod

Reaction score
Thanks for maintaining the great thread.

Lately C21 is on sale, which seems to have some decent deals so I grabbed a few garments. Planning to take them to the tailor but would like to hear some opinions here first what is best to be done. Or they are better off returned
mwink[1].gif
. Sorry for the poor pictures, and please let me know if more detailed pictures are needed.

1. Vestimenta black stripe suit. I am considering trimming the lapels a little because I prefer slim lapels. Is that doable? If it is, how big a job it will be?

Kind of dark, so below is a brighter version so more details can be seen

2. Calvin Klein Collection mid-light grey suit. I know the sleeves need to be hemmed. Anything else?

3. Calvin Klein Collection casual jacket + Giorgio Armani jeans. The jacket looks a little boxy although it is the same tagged size (40) of the suit above. I am considering taking in the waist and narrowing down the sleeves a little for the jacket. Also I prefer slimmer leg opening for the jeans so I may get them slightly tapered. Anyone has thoughts about these?

Any critiques/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I found myself a big fan of CK. I know they don't have the best rep here on SF for qualities/inflated prices, but I frequently get my eyeballs caught by CK garments. I like their color/pattern/cut/fabric, and at $300 a suit and $150 a jacket they are really not bad deals, are they? I was even considering getting one more CK suit.

Last edited:

manwithnoname

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been lurking for awhile and I really appreciate all the help being given in this thread.

That being said, I was hoping for some advice on my recently purchased suit before bringing it to the tailor on Tuesday.

Obviously I need the pants lengthened - but is there anything else I should have done? The jacket is a 44L - I debated between that and a 46, do you think it looks too tight?

Not the best suit but I am poor.

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Do you spray the WD-40 on the Quaker Oats?
:confused:

i find my morning q o quite tasty flavored that way. but i also add a sliced banana.
and the w-d makes it go down fast.

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks for maintaining the great thread.

Lately C21 is on sale, which seems to have some decent deals so I grabbed a few garments. Planning to take them to the tailor but would like to hear some opinions here first what is best to be done. Or they are better off returned 
mwink%5B1%5D.gif
. Sorry for the poor pictures, and please let me know if more detailed pictures are needed.

1. Vestimenta black stripe suit. I am considering trimming the lapels a little because I prefer slim lapels. Is that doable? If it is, how big a job it will be?

Kind of dark, so below is a brighter version so more details can be seen

2. Calvin Klein Collection mid-light grey suit. I know the sleeves need to be hemmed. Anything else?

3. Calvin Klein Collection casual jacket + Giorgio Armani jeans. The jacket looks a little boxy although it is the same tagged size (40) of the suit above. I am considering taking in the waist and narrowing down the sleeves a little for the jacket. Also I prefer slimmer leg opening for the jeans so I may get them slightly tapered. Anyone has thoughts about these?

Any critiques/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I found myself a big fan of CK. I know they don't have the best rep here on SF for qualities/inflated prices, but I frequently get my eyeballs caught by CK garments. I like their color/pattern/cut/fabric, and at $300 a suit and $150 a jacket they are really not bad deals, are they? I was even considering getting one more CK suit.

here we go.
all three need the sleeves shortened. the vesti is just a bit long in the body. both c k s are longer yet.
i would shorten the sleeves and wait to see if they still felt needing tapering.
the shoulders on the c k s look wider than the vesti. do they feel wide?
all three need taking in on the side seams.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi all, I have been lurking for awhile and I really appreciate all the help being given in this thread. 

That being said, I was hoping for some advice on my recently purchased suit before bringing it to the tailor on Tuesday. 

Obviously I need the pants lengthened - but is there anything else I should have done? The jacket is a 44L - I debated between that and a 46, do you think it looks too tight?

Not the best suit but I am poor.

if the shoulders feel comfortable your all right. if not, they will not get better later.
the jacket front looks ok.
the side seams need to be let out especially at the butt.
what concerns me is the trousers. the rise looks abnormally short. or are you wearing it very low on your hips.
that front view has your belt showing thats a no no.
but then if you pull the trouser up higher , will you have enough cloth at the bottom to make longer?
make sure the tailor checks that out.

Last edited:

manwithnoname

Reaction score
if the shoulders feel comfortable your all right. if not, they will not get better later.
the jacket front looks ok.
the side seams need to be let out especially at the butt.
what concerns me is the trousers. the rise looks abnormally short. or are you wearing it very low on your hips.
that front view has your belt showing thats a no no.
but then if you pull the trouser up higher , will you have enough cloth at the bottom to make longer?
make sure the tailor checks that out.

Thanks for the response. I am wearing them low on my hips - I think I may just be too used to wearing my pants too low on my waist.

I do think there is enough cloth to lengthen if I pull them up a bit - my main concern is that they will get very very snug in the crotch. Will have to try on again later and see.

Thanks again - do you have any advice regarding looking for longer rise suit pants? I am 6'6" and I think maybe longer rise pants are the answer...

swolfod

Reaction score
here we go.
all three need the sleeves shortened. the vesti is just a bit long in the body. both c k s are longer yet.
Sorry, I am not quite following here. Are you suggesting I need to shorten the bottom of the jackets or you are talking about the sleeves?
I put them on again and see that when the CK suit shoulder is a bit wider than the CK sportcoat, I don't think it's actually wider than the vesti. However, there is some padding on the shoulder ends of the vesti, which the CK suit doesn't have. I guess that might be the reason that CK suit seems to have wider shoulders. So would you suggest fixing that? If you do how? I don't think I can go size down and still fit right.
Wow, these are already slim fit suits and I need to take in the side seams further more? I didn't know I was that slim. Actually I was even a little worrying if these suits go a little tight on me.

Also, about my other question about the vesti lapels. Is it a big job to trim them?

Thank you very much for the response.

Last edited:

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
sorry but i think that i have been a bit abrupt in my answers that day.

the sleeves on all three garments need to be shortened.

the vesti is a smidge long in the body. so very little i should not have mentioned it. so forget it.

the c k s appear a little longer than the vesti. if you like the length as it is, you can shorten later if you change your mind.

if the shoulders feel comfortable leave them as is.
the photos of backs sometimes go out of wack. see the back view of matt 1985.
photos dont lie??? how about that one.

taking in ? it may be just the center seam but see the side views. see how the lower back hangs away from the body.
this may just be the way it fits over the butt. the 3rd suit really sticks out there. only a hand fitting by the tailor can tell.

the problem with narrowing lapels is that the button hole gets in the way.
if its a false buttonhole. that can be removed although it may leave an impression in the cloth.
also if the false buttonhole is replaced, it may not match the rest of the buttonholes.
all in all i would say forget the lapel.

Last edited:

swolfod

Reaction score
Good point with the lower back, I didn't notice that until you mentioned it. The third jacket seems to be really boxy so I guess it is not for me, although I really like its design. I will get it returned.

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:

Robstrongo

Reaction score
I just got this suit final sale online and am unsure whether I should keep it, or just cut my losses and sell it before sinking any more money into it. Obviously the seat and thigh of the pants would both need to be let out, and the arms would need to be shortened, but I feel the jacket is just a little too short. The chest and shoulders however are about as good as I’ve gotten a suit to fit OTR (usually between a 38S -40S), and the suit is fully canvased with a lot of nice hand finished details. What do you guys think, Is this suit salvageable? I appreciate your feedback.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The jacket is just too small, period.

jdoverbay

Reaction score
New poster, in need of some serious help. I ordered an Indochino suit for Christmas (my wife's present to me) and it came in the other day. The pants seem to fit well but the jacket and vest are just a little off. My town doesn't have a real "tailor" and I'm not sure exactly what I need to be asking for in a remake. The shoulders seem off and bunch up near the back. The hips of the jacket seem a bit wide. The upper back of the jacket seems tight while the upper chest area is loose. The jacket fits well across the widest part of my chest. I am 6'3 and the jacket and vest both seem to be about 1" to 1.5" short on me.

Am I close at all in these things? What some advice on what to ask for in a remake of the vest and jacket? Any other thoughts and suggestions? Thank you in advance.

(Edit) - Anyone have any ideas? Little help, please?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads