The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

They aren't cleanly draping.

2. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

jacket looks to short. you need either a regular/long/etc.

3. Bastion of

Bastion of Member

I've been following this forum avidly for many weeks now. I just picked up a new suit for my wedding and wanted an honest critique. I apologise for the low res / grainy pics - iPhone, indoors, etc. I can try to post some better pics soon, but in the meantime would love some feedback.

Definitely, I plan to remove 1/4" off the left cuff and about 1/8" off the right. I like a slim cropped fit, and am also wondering about a bit more waste suppression and potentially narrowing the trousers slightly. Let me know if there's anything else you see. Many thanks in advance for your time.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. RingTail

RingTail Senior member

The blazer is something I invested more time and money getting it tailored, it's fully canvassed, I guess it shows.
    As for the pants, they are run off the mill RTW Perry Ellis 'Regular Fit' which fit me just right on the waist, but the slims were better on my legs and too tight on my butt and crotch, pockets were expanding! Will need to consider other pants, any ideas?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

5. cliche

cliche Senior member

It shows :) hmm but those pants can u go to a tailor with? Would be cheape then to buy new tight/big pants for you?

Otherwise I can recommend Cerutti pants for you!

6. jpcdmd

jpcdmd Member

Can I get some feedback on this suit from ModernTailor? Its my first suit order from them. Paid $300. My main concern is the balance. When buttoned, the lapels bow out and wont lay flat on my chest. Also, the button pulls upward a little. I checked the box marked "Average" for posture, should I have checked "Erect"??? My guess is that the front is too short. If I try to change my posture to fit to the jacket, I have to roll my shoulders forward a little. If I stand normally, there is tension on the button and at the front of the armholes where it pulls on the chest. My other thoughts:
    -pants need another .5" in length
    -theres a ripple on my right shoulder, not sure what is causing it
    -another ripple in the fabric at the top of the left arm, feels like something wrong with the lining in the sleeve
    -pants might need letting out in the waist, as I have to suck in a little to get them buttoned, there is a horizontal wrinkle across the crotch area, and the pockets are bowed open a little
    -the pockets don't line up with the plaid pattern, looks like they are angled down toward the crotch. Is this normal?

Included a pic of the jacket hanging unbuttoned to see how it drapes without button tension

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. sugarbutch

Did you take the measurements, or did you have a tailor do it for you?

8. jpcdmd

jpcdmd Member

My identical twin brother took the measurements, we mostly took them from one of his Astor & Black jackets, with minor tweaks, since we are roughly the same size.

9. sugarbutch

Honestly, it just looks too tight in general. It looks better than $300, though.

Will they fix (or pay to have fixed) what's wrong with it?

10. jpcdmd

jpcdmd Member

I'm not returning it to ModernTailor. I'll take it to my local tailor tomorrow and have him take a look. I want to add pick stitching and have him address some of the shoulder/arm wrinkling if possible, as well as work on the pants. I feel that although it may look too tight to some, if I were to loosen it a bit I'm worried it would have that sack suit feeling like every RTW suit I try on. I'm 6'2", muscular up top with a 33 waist (and I have an ass) so if I want the slimmer look its gonna be curvy and have to have some serious waist suppression.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

11. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

you may have square shoulders.

12. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I'd like to ask a general question about jacket fit. Most of my jackets tend to flare like this down from the button:

Quote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they should look like this from the side (I'm just talking about the quarters here, I know the chest is a bit tight in this pic):

Quote: Does this mean there is too much material in the bottom of the jacket or is there any other cause?

Thank you!

13. Bastion of

Bastion of Member

Here are a few more pics of my new suit, this time in better lighting. The suit has not been pressed yet. I am intending to use it for my wedding in a couple months.

Again, my plan is to shorten the sleeves about 1/4" (it currently falls a bit past the wrist joint). I'd also like advice on whether the trousers could be narrowed a little, and the best way to achieve some more waist suppression. I am looking for a trim, sleek look, but not too fashion forward. Of course, please let me know if there are any other necessary improvements.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Chester Barrie from B&S forum. Sleeves need to be let out. Do the shoulders look too wide? They're 17.75 seam to seam (my usual measurement), but there's still some overhang.

Could a tailor get the lapels to lay flat?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012

15. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Not gonna lie, I'm kind of impressed by the outcome of this suit from ModernTailor. I like the wide peak lapels as well. I would have expected a complete disaster from online made to measure and with a price range of $300. Still looks better than 90% of the stuff you see in the streets.