• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The stupidest things you get complimented on.

Max

Reaction score
Mostly things with lots of rhinestones on them.

ghostdeini

Reaction score
only on my sneakers a handful of times, an old bathing ape hoodie that i picked up in tokyo (which coincidentally had two beady rhinestones for eyes), and this t-shirt i had that listed every member of the wu-tang clan in a plain, left-alligned font. i know what you're all thinking, i'm a drifter that got lost on his way to hypebeast forums. i assure you, I am not, and I would never consider mixing any of the above items together in an outfit (with the exception of some of the plain nikes I own). I'm also sad for the broad, cliched acceptance the wu-tang gathers nowadays... I wish it was back in high school where I would get weird looks for mentioning them

going to the mall is a really depressing experience for me, because nobody exactly stands out for being well-dressed and I feel like everyone else is blissfully ignorant

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually get complimented on my nice stuff. My Fred Bare Cap gets tons of compliments, from guys and girls, in the fashion biz, and out of it, regularly (in the past 3 weeks, have gotten about half a dozen mentions from anyone from boutique owners to regular guys on the street who want to buy one for themselves.) My Baltazar belt also gets the same response (more often from girls though.) However, my old Kratt "flattened" wash jeans from 2000 or 2001 get remarkable attention, probably because they have been genuinely worn in, but are still in really good condition.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Canada Goose parka, which is ugly as sin. I've also removed all CG logos from it, which makes it even stranger since people are complementing the parka and not the brand.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my ande whalls get alot of compliments... my vintage wrangler jacket too.

actually... the same **** i get compliments on on these damn boards...

edit: forgot... hair and eyelashes... eyes.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
good, Im glad to see that Other Long Dark Eyelashed men get complimented and lean towards the stylish side (perhaps its something hardcoded in our Genes, hahaha)
Another +1 on the eyelashes, my sisters hate me for it. Mostly I get complimented on my jackets, and usually by my gay male friends. A couple of times on my Nudies.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My eyelashes are quite thick and long as well. My girlfriend is very envious, since hers are very sparse. However, she is not envious of my Andy Rooneyesque eyebrows.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
My Canada Goose parka, which is ugly as sin. I've also removed all CG logos from it, which makes it even stranger since people are complementing the parka and not the brand.

Sometimes things that are not outwardly "fashiony" and not a perfect fit are more interesting than something that fits and matches properly. Just more interesting.

TrojanGarb

Reaction score
Every once in a while eylashes/brows oddly enough.

But for clothing... the one that sticks out in my mind is my Office Space Milton shirt. "I believe you have my stapler"
laugh.gif

It's too big, it's stained, it's even from hot topic; but its so sweet ;p.

manifest v

Reaction score
+1 on the sneakers and the eye-lashes.

I hate nikes except for these:

20051208204812z583mk0.jpg

And for some reason, only the people that have outwardly expressed their manifest-inspired desire to own my shoes were girls. Which made me question if I somehow got chick-shoes...
patch[1].gif

Then again, the girls I like to hang with are tom-boys... I hope.
satisfied.gif

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
My accent. When I'm asked where I'm visiting from It reminds me that I'm still a foreigner of some sorts.

I usually reply "Silverlake", confusion ensues on the face of the questionaire and then I have to explain that my f****d up accent is a result of:

Being English (North West)
Living in NYC 6 + years
Being married to a native Californian who's from HK!.
Now living in LA.

ghostdeini

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque

which model? i hope it's not the chilliwack

watchman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
i've never been complimented by women when wearing non-branded clothing except when dressing up is involved. I've been complimented twice when wearing non-branded clothing by men, one was by a gay man and the other was by a denim head employee at Up Against the Wall who probably is on SuFu since he knows of Ande Whall.

haha that was definitely me. I've been complimented for both casual and dress clothing, even if the girl doesn't know the brand.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghostdeini
which model? i hope it's not the chilliwack

I hope you're not part of the Chilliwack fanclub.
plain.gif
I can't stand that jacket. Mine is the Expedition. See the WAYWN thread.

David1

Reaction score
I get the most compliments by far on a St. John's Bay brown blazer I bought at JCPenny for $50.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics