• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
U
It's that time of the week again. And time for another first-time-out for a Le Noeud Papillon bow tie. This one is relatively muted and is a deep, almost midnight, blue backed with burgundy. Quite nice, I think.

View attachment 1430292

View attachment 1430293

View attachment 1430294

View attachment 1430295

This dinner jacket is in a midnight blue mohair blend by The London Lounge, tailored by Hemrajani. The shirt is by Budd, shoes are Brooks Brothers, square is by Simonnot-Godard, of course. Studs and links by Longmire.
have you done the cream dj with the navy white polka dot bow tie yet?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't! Next time the cream DJ is in the rotation I will do that!
I have always thought that would be a pretty cool combo. Or a navy with like a subtle cream horizontal stripe bow tie

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Andy’s co-star is awesome, of course.

Does anyone know what has happened to Longmire? Their website seems to be down and I don’t know if that is temporary for pandemic or if there are other things going on.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As stated in my post in WAYWRN this morning, I went to my local Saks Fifth Avenue this afternoon to pick up my latest sartorial farrago, a navy velvet jacket, a sartorial "crime of opportunity" (i.e. the jacket was heavily marked down). On getting it home, I decided to try wearing in three different ways - casual, semi-dressed up, and somewhere approximating formal. The results are as shown below - the jury is still out as to how versatile this jacket will be . . .

IMG_4255.JPG
IMG_4256.JPG
IMG_4257.JPG

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bottom ensemble is the only one working for me and definitely never the first one.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
First two pics need a contrasting trouser to pull off the look.
Will have more impact than what neckwear you use or don’t use

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dove grey or winter white flannel.
Try a black turtle neck or some color you like with this jacket.
Velvet slipper shoe

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First two pics need a contrasting trouser to pull off the look.
Will have more impact than what neckwear you use or don’t use
Dove grey or winter white flannel.
Try a black turtle neck or some color you like with this jacket.
Velvet slipper shoe
Thank you for the suggestions. What was put together was done so very quickly, with whatever I could lay my hands upon, so I know that some of the choices made might have been sub-optimal. I will see if I have occasion to use your good advice at some time in the future.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As stated in my post in WAYWRN this morning, I went to my local Saks Fifth Avenue this afternoon to pick up my latest sartorial farrago, a navy velvet jacket, a sartorial "crime of opportunity" (i.e. the jacket was heavily marked down). On getting it home, I decided to try wearing in three different ways - casual, semi-dressed up, and somewhere approximating formal. The results are as shown below - the jury is still out as to how versatile this jacket will be . . .

View attachment 1433367View attachment 1433368View attachment 1433369
I think a velvet jacket works very well in place of a dinner jacket as a change of pace.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.