• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's fake Latin for, more or less, "don't let unlawful people prevail on you".
I think it's aimed at you in a positive way, like "carry on with your good battle and let not miscrèants discourage you"!

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don’t let the bastards grind you down.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's fake Latin for, more or less, "don't let unlawful people prevail on you".
I think it's aimed at you in a positive way, like "carry on with your good battle and let not miscrèants discourage you"!
Don’t let the bastards grind you down.
I'm well aware what it means. I still fail to understand the relevance.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm well aware what it means. I still fail to understand the relevance.
It was meant as a compliment as someone posted above, in response to "oh who the fuck cares anymore"

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ooh. Very Rat Pack.

Faux Brummell

Reaction score
Are any of the folks here in the habit of editing Wikipedia? If so, their "black tie" entry could use an update. I assume the author was thinking about how the term "dinner jacket" in the US is frequently thought to refer only to a white jacket. The source they site is a page from the Black Tie Guide discussing the late Victorian era that doesn't seem to make any mention of white jackets (makes sense given that they weren't around back then).

Wikipedia.PNG

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A thought for those who have lady friends wishing to dress up-- the typical cloth mask is folded like a cummerbund.
Get one in black, and wear a black bow in your hair, you will be all set to party.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's that time of the week again. And time for another first-time-out for a Le Noeud Papillon bow tie. This one is relatively muted and is a deep, almost midnight, blue backed with burgundy. Quite nice, I think.

IMG_5406.jpeg

IMG_5392.jpeg

IMG_5402.jpeg

IMG_5374.jpeg

This dinner jacket is in a midnight blue mohair blend by The London Lounge, tailored by Hemrajani. The shirt is by Budd, shoes are Brooks Brothers, square is by Simonnot-Godard, of course. Studs and links by Longmire.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
It's that time of the week again. And time for another first-time-out for a Le Noeud Papillon bow tie. This one is relatively muted and is a deep, almost midnight, blue backed with burgundy. Quite nice, I think.

View attachment 1430292

View attachment 1430293

View attachment 1430294

View attachment 1430295

This dinner jacket is in a midnight blue mohair blend by The London Lounge, tailored by Hemrajani. The shirt is by Budd, shoes are Brooks Brothers, square is by Simonnot-Godard, of course. Studs and links by Longmire.
I'm sorry about the way that travesty of a spin-off series turned out. Your character deserved better.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.