• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any thoughts on a barathea wool-mohair blend (71-w/29-m) vs. a standard 100% wool barathea for a tuxedo?

what impact does the mohair have on the fabric from both a look and structure perspective?
Worn both. Prefer wool mohair blend over pure wool. Pure wool barathea definitely looks more old school. For a classic look there’s no substitute. Wool mohair is more comfortable IMO, more versatile and is equally classic with a modern feel to it. If you go for a proper old school heavy barathea it has a slight fluffy flannel like feeling to it. You don’t get that with mohair barathea which varies from silk smooth to oily slick feel. Depends on design too. I think of you were to go classic three piece peak lapel pure wool looks better whereas a shawl would look better with a wool mohair blend. I might go for a three piece silk for my next one...

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any thoughts on a barathea wool-mohair blend (71-w/29-m) vs. a standard 100% wool barathea for a tuxedo?

what impact does the mohair have on the fabric from both a look and structure perspective?
Mohair blends are reputed to be cooler than pure wool. Mohair might (but not always) impart a slight sheen to the cloth, which you might like and some people prefer for evening wear. I think that effect is better in midnight blue rather than black, myself. A mohair blend will feel smoother to the touch than pure wool, too. I have a black dinner jacket in pure wool and a midnight blue jacket in a mohair blend. They feel quite different, but I can't say that I prefer one over the other. I think the mohair blend sheds wrinkles better than pure wool does.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ps. If you’re gonna be moving or dancing a lot go wool mohair. You don’t want to be in a pure wool Barathea if you’re gonna be doing that...

JJ Katz

Reaction score
While we're on the subject of black-tie suitings, what do you considerably more experienced gents think would be the ideal fabric for an Ivory-white DJ in terms of the trade off between drape and breathability/lightness?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While we're on the subject of black-tie suitings, what do you considerably more experienced gents think would be the ideal fabric for an Ivory-white DJ in terms of the trade off between drape and breathability/lightness?
There’s a 335 g Ivory wool faille From Bateman Ogden and...wool linen...that runs cool and drapes well. I have a 230 gram vbc summer plain weave that’s quite nice but needs pressing after a few wears. I haven’t taken my pure silk out for a dancing test run yet. Well let you know how it goes

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...my pure silk ivory db from an unknown source definitely runs cool though

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the major consideration I take now when selecting fabrics for a night out/dinner wear is the stick factor when I inevitably sweat. Mohair beats pure wool over that. Have yet to test out silk.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dormeuil and Holland & Sherry's both have formal bunches that contain classic ivory barathea worsted cloths. A lightweight wool will actually wear cooler than a dupioni silk and will drape better. Go with something like dupioni if you want the texture, but if you want that classic, smooth-finished ivory dinner jacket, go with wool.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, fellas. I once saw a great ivory DJ (RTW) that was in a fabric that seemed halfway between a basket weave of some sort and crepe de chine and draped well and I stupidly didn’t find out more about it.,,

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, fellas. I once saw a great ivory DJ (RTW) that was in a fabric that seemed halfway between a basket weave of some sort and crepe de chine and draped well and I stupidly didn’t find out more about it.,,
Get silk...join the dark side ;-)

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ps. If you’re gonna be moving or dancing a lot go wool mohair. You don’t want to be in a pure wool Barathea if you’re gonna be doing that...
Are we ever going to see you in action with one of your DJs? I'd love to see a short clip of you dancing a salsa or tango in a DJ.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are we ever going to see you in action with one of your DJs? I'd love to see a short clip of you dancing a salsa or tango in a DJ.
If I ever get a video of myself dancing in one sure. Closest I have so far is of me in jeans and a singlet

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There’s a certain irony in the man who wears so much black tie also wearing a wife beater...
I go to the gym in a Barbour and a wife beater...on special occasions I’ll sometimes even wear a Bruce lee t shirt

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics