• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

And in reality, it's 15 points, since publishing scores under 85 are pretty rare. And at that, it's only a 12 point scale, because if it scores under an 88 you might as well not buy it or try to sell it.
Yes. Wine consumption is on a steady rise in America. I think once wine knowledge gets to a certain point, people will trust their own palates or the advice of a trusted wine shop over critics. But that's probably just wishful thinking.

Here's the problem though. Most wine will not be sold through trustworthy wine shops. Their market share is going to get smaller and smaller in the future. Like it or not, it's true. I have a local wine shop that has a tasting bar where they usually have 30 or so wines you can sample. The staff there is unusually knowledgable about wine yet my hit rate on their recommendations is no better than 50/50 and their prices are murderously expensive.

I get the criticism against "score chasing" and agree with it for the most part. However, the complete dismissing of professional critics by "wine geeks" seems overdone to me. Since I can't taste every wine out there and don't have an unlimited budget, I need more info, not less. I think of it as one data point.

I get why the industry hates it. But for consumers it is more helpful than hurtful IMO.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

So two people have at least tasted the wines but neither have anything to say about it. You guys are very helpful.

I've only had village cheapies. They've been fine. Nothing all that distinctive about them.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
09 Justin Chard. Zero mallo, a bit of new French oak and the rest neutral. Chalky, green apples, a little honey, a very light bit of baking spice. NOT your typical CA Chard.

Last edited:

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This was a surprise. Maybe it's just due to my inexperience, but I had no idea chardonnay (and California chardonnay at that) could be anything like this. Cloudy deep yellow appearance, and some of the tastes that I associate with really good ciders and/or sour Belgian beers. Very interesting.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

This was a surprise. Maybe it's just due to my inexperience, but I had no idea chardonnay (and California chardonnay at that) could be anything like this. Cloudy deep yellow appearance, and some of the tastes that I associate with really good ciders and/or sour Belgian beers. Very interesting.

Unfiltered + those specific aromas from the strain of yeast they use (to me it's always banana). Did you like it?

Last edited:

Quatsch

Reaction score
I had something similar but it was from northern Italy and it was sparkling. Tasted way more like a cider or a funky lambic than a wine. I think intentional oxidation is also on the bill, and that kind of sourness comes from lactic bacteria/lactic acid.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Is that what vin juane tastes like? Been meaning to try some of that.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unfiltered + those specific aromas from the strain of yeast they use (to me it's always banana). Did you like it?

Yeah, I liked it a lot. But I'm not in the position to drop a c-note to drink some funky white wine. Why don't more California wineries make this kind of chard rather than the same butterscotch garbage? Does it take more work? Cost a lot more? Or just a smaller market interested in this kind of thing?

I had something similar but it was from northern Italy and it was sparkling. Tasted way more like a cider or a funky lambic than a wine. I think intentional oxidation is also on the bill, and that kind of sourness comes from lactic bacteria/lactic acid.

Wow, interesting. The sparkling thing would *really* remind me of a cider or fancy gueuze. Is this kind of thing widely available in the U.S.?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Yeah, I liked it a lot. But I'm not in the position to drop a c-note to drink some funky white wine. Why don't more California wineries make this kind of chard rather than the same butterscotch garbage? Does it take more work? Cost a lot more? Or just a smaller market interested in this kind of thing?

Some guy posted about a $19 bottle of Chard just before you. Here's what this guy said:

09 Justin Chard. Zero mallo, a bit of new French oak and the rest neutral. Chalky, green apples, a little honey, a very light bit of baking spice. NOT your typical CA Chard.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

No idea. Personally, I'm glad that PM is rather unique, because for my palate it sucks. But it has a pretty large following of very faithful lovers.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads