• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Quatsch

Reaction score
In a similar vein, have any of you guys tried anything from Arnot-Roberts? Apparently a very small operation, but what they are doing intrigues me mightily. I dream of making Syrahs akin to the Northern Rhône in Cali someday.

Edit: by 'akin to the Northern Rhône' I just mean a lighter, more floral/herbal/mineral style. The dark flower aromas you get in cool-weather syrah just slay me.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Think I drove by their place in Healdsburg last time I was there. Can't remember for sure but absolutely sure we did not go in.

Need to get back to H-burg soon.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's fine. Acid, tannins and fruit are somehow in balance, I think.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In a similar vein, have any of you guys tried anything from Arnot-Roberts? Apparently a very small operation, but what they are doing intrigues me mightily. I dream of making Syrahs akin to the Northern Rhône in Cali someday.
Edit: by 'akin to the Northern Rhône' I just mean a lighter, more floral/herbal/mineral style. The dark flower aromas you get in cool-weather syrah just slay me.

Haven't bought anything from them but I do receive their newsletter (which was just received today). I do know they buy fruit from some of the older vineyards around, similar to Bedrock - Compagni Portis, Hudson T-Block, and Griffin's off the top of my head. I would think it is worth a try if you like some of the other Sonoma wines. The only critic I read is Josh Raynolds at IWC and he has given them some high marks. If you want i can send you the newsletter I received today.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There are lots of producers doing this in recent years, particularly in the Sonoma Coast appellation.

Quatsch

Reaction score

Haven't bought anything from them but I do receive their newsletter (which was just received today). I do know they buy fruit from some of the older vineyards around, similar to Bedrock - Compagni Portis, Hudson T-Block, and Griffin's off the top of my head. I would think it is worth a try if you like some of the other Sonoma wines. The only critic I read is Josh Raynolds at IWC and he has given them some high marks. If you want i can send you the newsletter I received today.

Thanks but don't worry about it - I very seriously doubt any of their stuff is available here anyway. Again, thanks for the offer!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

Okay, I understand what you meant now. I was going to be disappointed if they were a jammy, inky, high-alc Cali pinot noir producer, which is what I thought you were implying. I was scoping them out as a place I might like to ask about doing an internship with next year - I really like wines from the true Sonoma Coast. In any event, I'll see if I can find any of their stuff around here.

I got rejected this year, but am hoping that after my internship at Clos Pepe I can get on next year. Maybe we can be intern buddies! :bounce2:
it looks like i will be joining you all in wino-dom shortly. no more beer for me. I will try not to kill myself with this realization.

We accept all kinds.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2008 Sinskey Los Carneros Pinot last night.

Great nose. Lots of berries and a bit spicy.
Soft, maybe more cranberry-ish taste and pretty acidic. A nice Pinot except for TOO MUCH OAK :(

Last edited:

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any suggestions for top wineries in the Willamette Valley? Reds. Thx

Evesham Wood, Bethel Heights are my favorites. Also out there worth some some attention are Cristom and St Innocent.

Quatsch

Reaction score

I got rejected this year, but am hoping that after my internship at Clos Pepe I can get on next year. Maybe we can be intern buddies! :bounce2:

It would be a good time - interns have all the fun! They do all the work, but they also have all the fun!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Any suggestions for top wineries in the Willamette Valley? Reds. Thx

Evesham Wood, Bethel Heights are my favorites. Also out there worth some some attention are Cristom and St Innocent.

:inlove: with Bethel Heights.

Domaine Drouhn, Domaine Serene, Alexana, Argyle, Chehalem, Penner-Ash, Shea, Beaux Freres.

Most of those are in the Dundee Hills area and some are in the Ribbon Ridge (I think) area. I think you could probably make Dundee Hills a destination.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics