1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Subscribed to burghound and got a personal email next day from Erica meadows who is the wife of Allen meadows the writer. Crazy service

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  2. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

This is probably a long shot but maybe one of you enthusiasts can help me out. When we were in Umbria we had a red from Montefalco that my wife really loved. I've had no luck looking for it, but do recall that the label had a drawing of the church in the town square of Montefalco (pictured below). Thanks in advance if anyone has any idea.

[​IMG]

3. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

4. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

any chance it's the Fidenzio Montefalco Sagrantino?

1 person likes this.
  5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

would you rather spend money on a bunch of good quality village level wines or one nice bottle of wine

i really want to try a les amoreuses from one of the more affordable producers like amiot servelle or groffier, but at that price i could be trying a few premier cru level volnays and pommards

6. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

you're doing it wrong. Good quality village level wines are really nice bottles of wine. From a great producer, they are excellent bottles.

"better designation, more affordable producer" is a total no, and this is where you'll get burned. It's also the hardest thing to overcome. We need Manton in here to talk about the Jadot Corton he got for $45-50 and the Bachelet "Bourgogne Rouge" he got for $40.

7. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

so you think if i buy a bottle of say les amoureuses i should be prepared to pay roumier, mugnier prices?

since i can't try a bottle before buying it i've been going to by ratings and tasting notes

i've been trying to buy value. like remmington norman and richard parker think lafarge's village volnay is basically a premier cru and i found a 2006 at a good price so i bought that.

i dont know how else to go about this on a budget

the other thing is i dont know if i should be buying grand crus or super premier crus. the available ones are never more than 10, 12 years old and i dont think i should be drinking grand crus that young. although i hear some vintages are better drunk younger

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  8. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

THIS IS IT :happy:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

:D happy endings make me happy

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Don't you live in a major city? You can find a different wine tasting every night of the week somewhere...

11. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i'm in upstate ny for now. i try and visit a decent wine bar when i get down to the city

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Ind-D, I foresee heartbreak in your future.

13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

No.

No.

then listen to us.

No. And i mean no to the ideas you state, not the generalizations.

yes, but this should be the least of your concern.

I'll get to this in a day or so. One must learn.

14. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

yes

15. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

My tiger woods fist pump gif won't upload. piece of shit forum.

16. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

so then what do i do? set a price limit and buy random bottles from select producers?

17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

basically yes. Dennis Bachelet. Fourrier. Mugneret-Gibourg. Hudelot-Noellat. Ligero-Belair. Dujac. J-F Mugnier. Roumier. Rousseau. Chevillon. Drouhin. d'Angerville. Lafarge.

a basic level wine from one of these will be superior to a Grand Cru from a no-name. It's up to you to live and learn, and you will, but it will cost you. The "but why wouldn't I buy a Premier Cru "Les Whatever" from Domaine Boner than this Bourgogne Rouge from extremely well established producer?? Better Cru is supposed to be better!!" is genuinely hard to get past. But you will, many $$ later.

2 people like this.
  18. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Ok.

i dont see better cru as better. echezeaux is supposed to be variable in quality and apparently les suchots can be better than an echezeaux from a poor plot. it just seemed to me that certain producers were known for quality yet didnt have the name and price of others.

anyways, i think i'll just buy village and burgundy level wines and save better crus for better times. i recently bought a 08 vosne romanee from mugneret gibourg that i can't wait to try

19. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

To be obvious, the cru just indicates where the grapes come from. Says absolutely nothing about the skill of the winemaker. There are plenty of schmucks who have inherited little slices of grapes in a 1er or Grand cru vineyard who don't know or care about wine but just want to cash in. They might not even be good at growing the grapes, much less turning them into wine.

Buy from a better producer, and even if the grapes are a wee, little bit less impressive in their provenance, the fact that that winemaker really knows and cares about what he is doing will give you a better experience every time.

Besides, if you are going to drop the money on a really proper 1er or Grand cru, make sure you really know what you are getting.

BTW, the Mugneret Gibourg Vosne Romanee is exactly what I am talking about. That is a *fantastic* bottle of wine. Granted, it is just as expensive as plenty of 1er or Grand Crus, but it is a village level wine that is better than 95% of the stuff out there.

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

As I keep saying, price is a fairly good proxy for quality in New World wine but it's a very poor predictor in Froggie wine.

1 person likes this.