• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Tweed Appreciation Thread

katabatic

Reaction score
Wow, how did I completely miss this thread? @FlyingMonkey - that half-norfolk is an amazing find.

Cross-posted from the November 14th friday challenge:

rodaman

Reaction score
Wow, how did I completely miss this thread? @FlyingMonkey - that half-norfolk is an amazing find.

Cross-posted from the November 14th friday challenge:

Love the blue lapel windowpane waistcoat on your tumblr page. where is it from?

katabatic

Reaction score
Love the blue lapel windowpane waistcoat on your tumblr page. where is it from?

Thanks! It's MTM from the same maker as the tweed suit - Beckett & Robb. I got a sportcoat in that fabric (it's the one on my most recent post), and added the waistcoat on a whim. I used my steamer to roll the lapel down further, past the top button, as I generally prefer waistcoats with a slightly lower "V".

Last edited:

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moleskin was traditionally a working man's humble, warm, strong and comfy cloth, so a moleskin suit is a peculiar mix, perhaps in line with corduroy suits. Not business formal, but not truly casual either. An off-time suit, then, but not really worn by a lot of guys. David, who commissions these from you?

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would, but perhaps in a more leisurely cut, more workwear inspired.

OlSarge

Reaction score
Moleskin was traditionally a working man's humble, warm, strong and comfy cloth, so a moleskin suit is a peculiar mix, perhaps in line with corduroy suits. Not business formal, but not truly casual either. An off-time suit, then, but not really worn by a lot of guys. David, who commissions these from you?

Certainly that is the tradition but as far as I'm concerned it should be treated purely as a guideline rather than a rule. It would all depend on one's location and business. In the suburbs of the northern tier, where one's office is in a business park rather than downtown, I would call it smart and practical. And, as you suggest, as a suit for the weekend or vacations at one's 'country place' such a suit would be really quite a good idea. Down here in the heat, sadly, it would end up being a closet queen as with most of my tweeds and corduroys. Once relocated in the Pacific Northwest, however, I can see getting lots of use out of such cloth. Great bit of tailoring that.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd be concerned about shiny elbows and seat, but otherwise I don't see any problem with the moleskin suit. Looks pretty **** to me.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is my first one and I think this client is a Doctor. We used to sell them off the rack at Richard James in Navy and Brown, I decided to do mine in dark green. Its really meant as an alternative to very casual weekend wear, you can just put it on and go with knitwear or a shirt, the jacket and trousers can also be worn separately as well because of the weight and durability of the cloth.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd be concerned about shiny elbows and seat, but otherwise I don't see any problem with the moleskin suit. Looks pretty **** to me.

Should be fine its a hardy cloth meant mainly for trousers which as garments take the most wear. The pile isn't quite like a velvet. Over time you may actually start to see interesting wear characteristics a bit like a raw denim.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that is a great jacket and the rest would be the same. Sigh for money and it's objects.

DavideMiguel85

Reaction score
That moleskin jacket looks beautiful, really nice finish to it. I see moleskin as an option at some places, but I'm just not sure how they'd fit in for me. They seem around 400g and 'not very breathable at all'. I like the balance I have between med-heavy tweeds and some lightweight ones, they breath well, keep me warm and comfortable (and look smart...), and in the UK I can wear them almost all year round, apart from the real summer heat (which sometimes doesn't come, and if it does, often doesn't hang around for too long).

P.s. Anyone seen any jackets made from something like this? I'm struggling to picture it. It's a lightweight Saxony tweed.

http://oi61.tinypic.com/168elqa.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trumbus