• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty good day:

L-R, top-bottom: Zanella, Hugo Boss, Zanella, Dunhill (my first). Disappointed to find that the Zanellas don't go for much on the 'bay. Oh well, they're really nice and my size so if they don't sell, I'm more than glad to keep them.

3 NWT Neiman Marcus branded v-neck pullovers. Top to bottom: 55/45 silk/cashmere, 70/30 silk/cashmere, 70/20/10 merino wool, silk, cashmere. Really nice sweaters and my size, so I might keep one/all of them. I never find nice NWT stuff, so definitely happy with it.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Stumbled across these today. I can't recall who the resident Hermes expert is, but can anyone tell me what to look out for to verify authenticity? They each have the 11 to 5 weave pattern.

Real. Nice haul.

toscano_adottato

Reaction score

Pretty good day:

L-R, top-bottom: Zanella, Hugo Boss, Zanella, Dunhill (my first).  Disappointed to find that the Zanellas don't go for much on the 'bay.  Oh well, they're really nice and my size so if they don't sell, I'm more than glad to keep them.

3 NWT Neiman Marcus branded v-neck pullovers.  Top to bottom: 55/45 silk/cashmere, 70/30 silk/cashmere, 70/20/10 merino wool, silk, cashmere.  Really nice sweaters and my size, so I might keep one/all of them.  I never find nice NWT stuff, so definitely happy with it.

Did you not want the two Zegna shirts that were right by the Zanellas? :D

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
D'OH! I was rushing over to the SA and didn't see them. Hahaha.

Did you not want the two Zegna shirts that were right by the Zanellas?
biggrin.gif

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Hermes ties are really nice (and as said real). I'm jealous.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey y'all, first post.  Long time thrifter, short time StyFo lurker.  I've been a member on Super Future (what I equate with the acronym "SF") for awhile, but I digress.  I'll start off my first post with a question.  Just hit a shop across the street from me and saw a Brioni Sport dress shirt, not a mainline and not a ...for Neiman Marcus or something similar.  Kind of a drab tan color and not heavily starched like other freshly dry cleaned Brioni shirts I've seen.  Is this a diffusion brand?  Does Brioni even need to diffuse their lines, as it seems most people have no idea about these old school tailoring houses?

Not a diffusion label I've come across but anything by Brioni will sell well - look for the signs of quality such as hand-sewn buttonholes and shanked buttons on a shirt.

Secondly, I left behind two pairs of Zegna mainline cords in a size FORTY TWO waist.  They were only $2.50 apiece after the half off discount, but I seriously doubt any fashion-minded person is going to snag these at any price, eBay or on StyFo.  I also left behind a mainline Zegna suit in 46L.  At $30.00 after half price discount, I couldn't be bothered to hold onto it should no one be interested.  It's been there for a few weeks and the sale will go on for the remainder of the week if anyone is interested in any of these.

Both are still reasonable sizes in the real world and will make you money - certainly the cords at that price if they're in good condition. I only get nervous buying stuff 48-50 and above.

Mainly, before I get too deep I'd like to know more about the diffusion tactic a lot of brands use and if there are any glaring examples in the ultra-high end brands so that I don't get stoked on buying a PRL-equivalent diffusion brand for a stiff mark-up.

You'll have to read the rest of the thread (and or forum) for this - good luck.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, did I just buy a woman's jacket? I found this and thought it was nice:

Can't find any tags, but googling "Loden-Frey" comes up with a German high end store that sells both men's & women's clothes. On ebay I found this in the women's section, which looks just like mine: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160659736699&hlp=false#ht_1966wt_1064. The thing is, mine's huge...I'm a 42L and the sleeves and body are even a bit big for me. Is this a women's jacket?

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also found one of the nicest shirts I have come across - it's about a 15-16 x 35-36; I will have to measure:

Fray makes some of the nicest shirts I've seen. Loads of handwork and beautiful MOP buttons. Nice find!

Stumbled across these today. I can't recall who the resident Hermes expert is, but can anyone tell me what to look out for to verify authenticity? They each have the 11 to 5 weave pattern.

Couple of them have the Neiman Marcus tag.

Score!! :slayer:

I had a good day today. It was polo shirt day.

- 2 Brioni for Neiman Marcus mercerized cotton polo shirts.
- 2 Loro Piana pique cotton polo shirts
- Super recent Isaia Napoli mercerized cotton polo shirt

Also snagged a gorgeous Duchamp pink floral pattern dress shirt. Kinda loud. I'm on the fence on keeping it. 16.5 size for anyone interested.

I stopped into the local TJ Maxx out of curiosity to see if any goodies made it up here. This location has a "Vault" section, but it's all womens stuff. Nothing besides the occasional Saks label shirt. Lots of Polo RL. They had about 5 knit purple RLPL ties for $79 each. Had a handful of Dior homme ties as well. I think they were $79 as well. Needless to say this stop was a bust.

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed response, Simon. I hit up about five stores today and picked up some gems that are up for trade/sale as well as some solid pieces for myself.

3 x Charles Tyrwhitt striped 15/33 FC . One of them is a Super 180s, which I imagine is the finest of the three
Burberry's Prorsum pinstriped suit, size unknown, but I would venture to guess 41/42R SC, 32/34 trousers. Super 120s wool
Yves Saint Laurent (Made in France) SC and vest 41R, both of which I imagine to be from a 3pc suit. Couldn't find the pants, but I think the color is enough of a staple color (midweight grey) that I can find some appropriate pants.
Canali SC 41R in a nice brown windowpane pattern. Silky Super 100s wool.
Canali 16 1/2/42 FC in a blue/white microstripe
AE 10B suede tassle loafers...fantastic condition on the uppers, needs to be reheeled
Vasque hiking boots (!) 10D I've been looking for these for quite some time and finally they smacked me in the face at my last stop.

Firstly, does anyone give a hoot about YSL? It's such an overhyped luxe brand, but this older stuff, especially vented and visibly tailored, is still quite fresh in my eyes. Everything except for the Vasque boots is up for trade, I can provide photos if you are at all interested.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only had time to hit one place and couldn't get over there for the open though because of my cold-induced migraine and needing to get back to watch UGA blow a lead in their bowl game, so I only got a few things.

Anyone bought Jhane Barnes stuff before? I bought a couple of shirts today because it looks like they sell well on the bay... Kinda busy and ugly, but whatever. Size L if anyone wants to see them.

Also got a nice brown hand-knitted in Ireland Aran sweater, size L, and a brown check Thomas Pink shirt in my size. Oh, and a pretty boring navy with red striped Brooks Brothers tie.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed response, Simon. I hit up about five stores today and picked up some gems that are up for trade/sale as well as some solid pieces for myself.

3 x Charles Tyrwhitt striped 15/33 FC . One of them is a Super 180s, which I imagine is the finest of the three
Burberry's Prorsum pinstriped suit, size unknown, but I would venture to guess 41/42R SC, 32/34 trousers. Super 120s wool
Yves Saint Laurent (Made in France) SC and vest 41R, both of which I imagine to be from a 3pc suit. Couldn't find the pants, but I think the color is enough of a staple color (midweight grey) that I can find some appropriate pants.
Canali SC 41R in a nice brown windowpane pattern. Silky Super 100s wool.
Canali 16 1/2/42 FC in a blue/white microstripe
AE 10B suede tassle loafers...fantastic condition on the uppers, needs to be reheeled
Vasque hiking boots (!) 10D I've been looking for these for quite some time and finally they smacked me in the face at my last stop.

Firstly, does anyone give a hoot about YSL? It's such an overhyped luxe brand, but this older stuff, especially vented and visibly tailored, is still quite fresh in my eyes. Everything except for the Vasque boots is up for trade, I can provide photos if you are at all interested.

Color / pics on the Burberry and pics on the Canali SC plz...

zachl

Reaction score
Found an item that's giving me trouble and was wondering if anyone has some insight. It's an unlined, hand rolled and hand sewn with red yarn (?) wool tie from Gorgone. It's made in Italy, but I can't find anything about Gorgone. Any ideas? Perfect fall tie with a cream, caramel, green, and black houndstooth pattern.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found an item that's giving me trouble and was wondering if anyone has some insight. It's an unlined, hand rolled and hand sewn with red yarn (?) wool tie from Gorgone. It's made in Italy, but I can't find anything about Gorgone. Any ideas? Perfect fall tie with a cream, caramel, green, and black houndstooth pattern.

Pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads