The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

Found my first Alden! and in my size! It's a nice closed laced, black, captoe shoe. And it was all by itself, just the left, sitting next to a similar looking kenneth cole reaction right.... REALLY???

So that was frustrating. But picked up a Pendleton red chambray, corneliani houndstooth shirt, zegna shirt and armani collezioni. The store was insane (jan 2 1/2 price day)

2. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Did you check the womens section, dresser draws, etc? Maybe someone hid it?

3. grendel

grendel Senior member

I bet it's in the back paired with the other Kenneth Cole and will come out tomorrow

4. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

Exactly....in this situation it's wise to flirt with one of the female employees and convince her to go on a shoe hunt in the back for you.

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

YSL is SMOKING hot lately - but the 80s, logo laden, very flashy stuff - more street wear, not tailored stuff unless its from the last 5 years.

6. mistermidwester

mistermidwester Senior member

Good day for me. Found 3 NEW cedar shoes in my size. Was needing a few, so it stocked me up (at $2.99 a pair). Also found some great LPs (a couple old New Order, a rad Soft Cell mega 12", and a super old Art of Noise) and some nice Dr. Seuss books for my daughter. Also found a couple keeper ties for myself and all of the following, which are for trade/sale if anyone is interested...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is 15.5 slim fit, I don't think you can read the tag. Great colors, spread collar, and french cuffs.

Spoo, another reply coming tonight with pics of the Crockett & Jones I found the other day.

7. otc

otc Senior member

Wanted to cross post my marshalls finds (I usually expect to see nothing but chaps and dockers) Wasn't the coolest stuff I found, but it was the stuff that fit me. Still not sure about them since I know little about either maker so I would like some input from anybody familiar:

All Saints cashmere cardigan in a forest green.
    [​IMG]
    Made in china but it feels like good stuff and I like it so I think I am keeping it (unless someone chimes in with a reason not to) since $79 doesn't seem like a bad price.

Gray shawl neck pullover.
    [​IMG]
    Less sure about this guy...wanted to bring it home to do research but it might get returned. I like the sweater itself and the $69 price isn't bad but I have never heard of Glen Lyon or Paolo Mondo. Anyone know anything about this. My google searches turn up a bunch of ebay results (though most are more than $69) so I think it is probably some fake itialian sounding brand maybe made specifically for outlets.
    I think it fits and looks good, but can anyone speak toward the garmet quality? I don't want to keep it if it is not going to last past this season and I am sort of skeptical of cheap cashmere from china.

8. mistermidwester

Spoo, you had mentioned wanting to see more photos of the Crockett and Jones shoes that I'd found, and I finally got around to taking them. Here are a couple, but I've created an album of 8 photos for those who want to see more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couple notes:

You were right about them being hand grade (of course). I took a photo of the sole of the shoes and you can actually see part of the stamp (photo #8). They're incredibly low wear, as is evidence by the photo above of the insoles, as well as the soles themselves.

After taking the trees out, I'm not sure if they were meant for these shoes. They're marked 7.5 (left) and 7.0 (right, you can see the slightly rounded-off toe), while the C&Js are both 8.5. In my haste, I bought the shoes with the trees (they certainly looked like they fit, with the brass pulls and super heavy construction).

At any rate, they're incredibly nice shoes, probably the nicest ones I've ever found. Way too small for me, though, I'm just hoping to sell them for enough to pick myself up a decent pair of used AEs or Aldens.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any opinions on what is nicer? Allen Edmonds or Aldens? Just throwing that out there.

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^ Thanks for the follow up pics. Something does not look right about that shape and logo though...

10. mistermidwester

Based on the usual stuff I find around here, my guess is that they're mega old, but then again I know very little about C&J and high-end shoe logos in general. I'd hope that they aren't fake (and would guess that they're not based on the super supple leather), but who knows... maybe someone is doing that shit.

11. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

Today was my first time seeing anything decent at my local Marshalls. Plenty of RL Polo, Brooks, Canali, some D&G, Valentino, and Dior. I even found two Kiton ties but passed on them as the pattern was heinous. I picked up a PRL wool/cashmere blend v-neck sweater in burnt orange.

12. silverwarebandit

Drawers... no, damnit. Everywhere else in the store, yes. I said to hell with it and dropped it off with staff and will be stopping off later in the week a few times with fingers crossed to find out if it gets paired up. 5% odds too optimistic?

13. silverwarebandit

Ha, don't think the gf would have approved, next time.

14. SpooPoker

How much were the Kiton ties?

15. mainy

mainy Senior member

Shoulda asked somebody tolook in the back for you. A lot of stores here just have big ass shopping carts full of shoes and will roll them out and grab shoes out whenever the shelves are running low. I'm sure whatever dude was doing it just wasn't paying attention and put out the wrong pairing. I've seen it happen many times

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.