The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele
    I concur. Based on those pics, the Hermes look real. Nice haul.

2. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Pretty good day:

[​IMG]

L-R, top-bottom: Zanella, Hugo Boss, Zanella, Dunhill (my first). Disappointed to find that the Zanellas don't go for much on the 'bay. Oh well, they're really nice and my size so if they don't sell, I'm more than glad to keep them.

[​IMG]

3 NWT Neiman Marcus branded v-neck pullovers. Top to bottom: 55/45 silk/cashmere, 70/30 silk/cashmere, 70/20/10 merino wool, silk, cashmere. Really nice sweaters and my size, so I might keep one/all of them. I never find nice NWT stuff, so definitely happy with it.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Real. Nice haul.

4. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

Did you not want the two Zegna shirts that were right by the Zanellas? :D

5. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

D'OH! I was rushing over to the SA and didn't see them. Hahaha.

6. catside

catside Senior member

Those Hermes ties are really nice (and as said real). I'm jealous.

7. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

Not a diffusion label I've come across but anything by Brioni will sell well - look for the signs of quality such as hand-sewn buttonholes and shanked buttons on a shirt.

Both are still reasonable sizes in the real world and will make you money - certainly the cords at that price if they're in good condition. I only get nervous buying stuff 48-50 and above.

You'll have to read the rest of the thread (and or forum) for this - good luck.

8. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

So, did I just buy a woman's jacket? I found this and thought it was nice:

[​IMG]

Can't find any tags, but googling "Loden-Frey" comes up with a German high end store that sells both men's & women's clothes. On ebay I found this in the women's section, which looks just like mine: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160659736699&hlp=false#ht_1966wt_1064. The thing is, mine's huge...I'm a 42L and the sleeves and body are even a bit big for me. Is this a women's jacket?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Fray makes some of the nicest shirts I've seen. Loads of handwork and beautiful MOP buttons. Nice find!

Score!! :slayer:

I had a good day today. It was polo shirt day.

- 2 Brioni for Neiman Marcus mercerized cotton polo shirts.
    - 2 Loro Piana pique cotton polo shirts
    - Super recent Isaia Napoli mercerized cotton polo shirt

Also snagged a gorgeous Duchamp pink floral pattern dress shirt. Kinda loud. I'm on the fence on keeping it. 16.5 size for anyone interested.

I stopped into the local TJ Maxx out of curiosity to see if any goodies made it up here. This location has a "Vault" section, but it's all womens stuff. Nothing besides the occasional Saks label shirt. Lots of Polo RL. They had about 5 knit purple RLPL ties for $79 each. Had a handful of Dior homme ties as well. I think they were $79 as well. Needless to say this stop was a bust.

10. SnarlPatrick

SnarlPatrick Senior member

Today

Belstaff Cargo Pant
    Mauro Grifoni pants in my size
    mint black leather Panerai Watchband. Too bad the watch wasn't with it.

11. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Thanks for the detailed response, Simon. I hit up about five stores today and picked up some gems that are up for trade/sale as well as some solid pieces for myself.

3 x Charles Tyrwhitt striped 15/33 FC . One of them is a Super 180s, which I imagine is the finest of the three
    Burberry's Prorsum pinstriped suit, size unknown, but I would venture to guess 41/42R SC, 32/34 trousers. Super 120s wool
    Yves Saint Laurent (Made in France) SC and vest 41R, both of which I imagine to be from a 3pc suit. Couldn't find the pants, but I think the color is enough of a staple color (midweight grey) that I can find some appropriate pants.
    Canali SC 41R in a nice brown windowpane pattern. Silky Super 100s wool.
    Canali 16 1/2/42 FC in a blue/white microstripe
    AE 10B suede tassle loafers...fantastic condition on the uppers, needs to be reheeled
    Vasque hiking boots (!) 10D I've been looking for these for quite some time and finally they smacked me in the face at my last stop.

Firstly, does anyone give a hoot about YSL? It's such an overhyped luxe brand, but this older stuff, especially vented and visibly tailored, is still quite fresh in my eyes. Everything except for the Vasque boots is up for trade, I can provide photos if you are at all interested.

12. grendel

grendel Senior member

I only had time to hit one place and couldn't get over there for the open though because of my cold-induced migraine and needing to get back to watch UGA blow a lead in their bowl game, so I only got a few things.

Anyone bought Jhane Barnes stuff before? I bought a couple of shirts today because it looks like they sell well on the bay... Kinda busy and ugly, but whatever. Size L if anyone wants to see them.

Also got a nice brown hand-knitted in Ireland Aran sweater, size L, and a brown check Thomas Pink shirt in my size. Oh, and a pretty boring navy with red striped Brooks Brothers tie.

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

Color / pics on the Burberry and pics on the Canali SC plz...

14. zachl

zachl Member

Found an item that's giving me trouble and was wondering if anyone has some insight. It's an unlined, hand rolled and hand sewn with red yarn (?) wool tie from Gorgone. It's made in Italy, but I can't find anything about Gorgone. Any ideas? Perfect fall tie with a cream, caramel, green, and black houndstooth pattern.

15. grendel

grendel Senior member

Pics?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.