The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

They were last worn before the advent of digital photography, thank god.

2. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I found a Pink blouse for the spousal unit and she seems to like it so I know what you mean about finding stuff for her. I find Brooks Brothers for women from time to time. I look for Talbot's and she usually likes it as well. Gets me off the hook for all the stuff I find for myself. :lol:

Hard to say without seeing it but I can't imagine that a competent alterations person/tailor could not take it in to your liking.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012

3. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

I think I'm going to go back by and take another look. As for the alterations, everything can be done, its just a question of whether I'm willing to pay the price. Unfortunately, by the time I buy the jacket, I usually am willing to pay the price. :embar:

4. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

6. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

As the cat would seem to be officially out of the bag, here's an old post from September about the slow trickle of E. Marinella ties at my favorite local discount store. The Wilkes Bashford tag had a $195.00 retail price but if I recall correctly they were all priced at $29.99.

http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/2011/09/e-marinella.html

7. Manofstyle85

Nope, $39.99

8. SpooPoker

Did you kop?

9. Manofstyle85

Sorry, KOP?

10. SpooPoker

Buy!

11. Manofstyle85

off course, but i pass on a Canali wool blend for that same price

12. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

>.< seriously considering hitching a ride with a friend this week up to Cleveland just to check out their marshalls/tjmaxx... a whole lotta nothing has made it here, and what they DO have (that's worthless) is priced out of the stratosphere. You guys are posting clearance prices on your polo RL cashmere and so on - nope, full price all day long here, on the one or two available. Maybe it's a function of the complete lack of high-end retail here?

also, at $80+tax, I gotta say you can reliably get Marinellas (and almost any other brand mentioned) cheaper than that off ebay... pattern's the luck if the draw of course, but that's the same as at Marshalls.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012

13. Kitontini

Kitontini Senior member

Hey Gents! Been away for a while but now I'm back! I know you missed me, :D Anyhoo.... I had an extremely awesome couple days thats WORTH bragging about....My wife and I made a couple days of thrifting... Here's what we found...

-Borrelli Cotton (feels like velvet) Pants. Size 36
    -100% linen Zegna (recent) White Pants. Size 36
    -Gianluca Isaia Gray w/ Slight Windowpane Pants. Size 36
    -4 Pairs of Zanella Pants. Various Sizes
    -Thomas Pink, Recent Isaia, and Truzzi Shirts. All Size 17
    -Kiton Solid Pink Shirt. Size 16.5
    -NWT Oxxford Clothes Sportcoat. Size 42 Long. Wool & Cashmere
    -Domenico Spano for Bergdorf Goodman Suit. No Size Tag, Maybe a 40 Regular? Different from what I have up on the Bay
    -Oxxford Clothes 100% Camel Hair Sportcoat. No Size Tag
    -Vintage Bijan 3 Piece Suit. Size 44 Long
    -Vintage Gianni Versace 100% Cashmere Sportcoat. Size 40 Regular

Last but Certainly not Least.... Keeping for myself (for now) a Kiton Sportcoat!!!! 50% Cashmere and 50% Linen!!! Size 44 Long. In a Very Distinguishing Dark Plaid!
    My Wife also Found.... 5 Baccarat Crystal Figurines! She loooovvvessss her Baccarat!
    And a handful of other Suits and Sportcoats in various sizes!

PICS UPON REQUEST! I'm Selling all But my Wife's Baccarat and (maybe) My Kiton Sportcoat!!

14. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

The local Marshall's here eneded up with a ton of Cucinelli, Brioni, etc. except it's all WAY too much. A Cucinelli for $900 might be a huge discount on the retail but it's twice what you'd pay on eBay. They also have two new Kiton ties but they're $59 each. I haven't been in a week or so, maybe it's time to swing by and see if they've been marked down.

15. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Just wait a week or two. Dunno about how quick stuff flies off the shelves at your place but I have found about 2/3 of the stuff will see an additional reduction after it doesn't sell for a couple weeks. The exception seems to be really high-end suits or nice outerwear.

A lot of stuff gets marked down by and additional 20-30% instantly if it is returned so after Christmas you might see a spike. Also, be sure to comb the Clearance area as thoroughly as possible. A lot of one-off stuff that gets marked down (for God only knows what reason) will end up there rather than stay on the "Fashion Vault" rack. I found a Finamore marked down to $60 between two Puma track suits the last time I was out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.