• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reason_being

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Marcus Brody
Had a fairly good day today.

I got an Botany 500 overcoat that is trench coat styled in gray wool felt (and with great red satin lining). It looks like an something a field marshall would wear and I appreciate that. I'll probably give it to my brother though as I have numerous overcoats and I told him I would.

A grey, double breasted, peak lapeled suit from some (store) called Arthur Rosenberg and co. Don't know a thing about the brand, but the suit looks very good and fits perfectly on me. I'm now regretting I had a semi-similar Dior jacket tailored as this one looks better off the rack.

And what made the day a success:
Church's custom grade monk straps. In brown. Oh yeah.
_.png

Photo15.jpg

I am srsly jealous. Awesome find.

Georgia

Reaction score
I've had some relatively good luck lately - just some odds and ends.

I did come across something really odd yesterday - I noticed the 'Titleist', and upon closer inspection, it has the UGA Golf logo on the side, with David Love III's autograph on the bill. The hat still has the Titleist price tag/sticker under the bill. I paid $1.49.

img00045hk8.jpg

Davis Love III has always been one of my favorite golfers, and I'm a HUGE UGA fan. DL3 went to UNC, so this is pretty unique.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ That's awesome. You're lucky, as this probably slipped through the cracks. All thrift stores I know mark outrageous prices on any autographed sports stuff whether it be golf, NFL, NHL....even college stuff!

The only thing that I picked up from a thrift that was autographed was a limited ed. copy of 'The Wickerman" (the newer one) in a wooden box . The box was numbered and autographed by about 7 actors. Pretty cool. Came with a letter from the producer (I think) as a gift to the manager of the Minnetonka Musicland store. I paid $2 (standard DVD price at this store).

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^I bought a used copy of The Night in Question on Amazon Marketplace. It is a book of short stories by This Boy's Life author Tobias Wolff. Inside...First Edition, autographed and dated by the author.

Today's thrifting, 4 Brooks Brothers ties, a Navy pinstripe Hart Shaffner Marx suit and a blast from the past, a white, french cuffed Huntington shirt.

pejsek

Reaction score
Last week: vintage Aquascutum trench in iridescent olive cotton twill, made in England, all the bells and d-rings ($18.25); Huntsman bespoke jacket in some sort of silk/linen herringbone with light blue and pink windowpane, not totally my sort of thing but it is Huntsman and fits perfectly ($10); Etro, Charvet, and Borrelli ties ($2-$3 each); Swaine Adeney Brigg tattersall waistcoat ($3.99); and best of all, a magnificent Hogg, Sons, & J.B. Johnstone bespoke suit, dated October 21, 1989, sb charcoal with light grey windowpane ($8). I may yet breathe new life into my old Anglomania thread.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I picked up a signed copy of Gore Vidal's Burr, first Modern Library printing some months back. It's odd what people will donate.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Georgia
I've had some relatively good luck lately - just some odds and ends.

I did come across something really odd yesterday - I noticed the 'Titleist', and upon closer inspection, it has the UGA Golf logo on the side, with David Love III's autograph on the bill. The hat still has the Titleist price tag/sticker under the bill. I paid $1.49.

img00045hk8.jpg

Davis Love III has always been one of my favorite golfers, and I'm a HUGE UGA fan. DL3 went to UNC, so this is pretty unique.

Originally Posted by Nataku
^^ That's awesome. You're lucky, as this probably slipped through the cracks. All thrift stores I know mark outrageous prices on any autographed sports stuff whether it be golf, NFL, NHL....even college stuff!

The only thing that I picked up from a thrift that was autographed was a limited ed. copy of 'The Wickerman" (the newer one) in a wooden box . The box was numbered and autographed by about 7 actors. Pretty cool. Came with a letter from the producer (I think) as a gift to the manager of the Minnetonka Musicland store. I paid $2 (standard DVD price at this store).

I picked up a Garo Ypremian tie (he had a line of ties for a while) which was autographed on the back.
I put it up on eBay with the proceeds going to the Garo Ypremian Foundation...no takers.

pejsek

Reaction score
Every once in a while I have some really good luck with shoes. A few months ago it was a pair of brand new Stefanobi for Domenico Vacca norwegian-welted derbies--$15 at Goodwill. Today at the same Goodwill I found a pair of Lobb Barros (split-toe derby with commando-type sole) ($18.99) as well as a pair of high vamp chocolate brown loafers with contrast stitching marked SL Zintala ($14.99)--both with only the barest hint of wear. Based on the styling, construction and previous discussion here I believe the Zintala shoes are made by Lattanzi. They have the same distinctive sole curvature I've seen on other Lattanzis. Pretty sure I'll be back tomorrow.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
Every once in a while I have some really good luck with shoes. A few months ago it was a pair of brand new Stefanobi for Domenico Vacca norwegian-welted derbies--$15 at Goodwill. Today at the same Goodwill I found a pair of Lobb Barros (split-toe derby with commando-type sole) ($18.99) as well as a pair of high vamp chocolate brown loafers with contrast stitching marked SL Zintala ($14.99)--both with only the barest hint of wear. Based on the styling, construction and previous discussion here I believe the Zintala shoes are made by Lattanzi. They have the same distinctive sole curvature I've seen on other Lattanzis. Pretty sure I'll be back tomorrow.
Nice scores these last couple weeks. Where do you live that allows for such fine thrifting opportunities?

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any suggestion for Columbus, OH? I will be there for a few days

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some things from yesterday:
RLPL blazer (blue)
Hickey Freeman Bespoke suit jacket (charcoal) made 4/15/1999
...both were too big, HF was too old
Denon single disc CD player. Was going to buy it but there was nowhere to plug it in to verify it worked.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek

MAN!
Do you have photos of what you have found?
Do you keep it all?
You must have one of the most spectacular wardrobes in the US, but paid the price of a normal blah blah blah wardrobe.

Manystyles

Reaction score
I went out today looking specifically for stuff I could wear casually with jeans since I've kina soured on wearing my suit coats with jeans b/c I don't want to wear them out unevenly and I've got a limited budget for suits. So... that means orphan suit coats that had patterns that I felt I could pull off.

I wore a pair of jeans/shoes and a button down and a t shirt I would wear this stuff with when I went to the store and when I tried them on I really liked the look, plus I don't have to worry about spillage or losing them when I go out like I would with my suit stuff.

*4 Hickey Freeman suit coats plaids and windowpanes, one really subtle multicolored pinstripe, gray and charcoal. 4 of them for $20.00. They had a couple more, but they were not to my liking.

A Hart Schaffner Marx suit coat, dark with light blue pinstripes, also for jeans wearing. $3.00

Hart Schaffner Marx blazer, cool looking nickel (I think) buttons $3.00

BB blue blazer. $4.00

Someone got fat or slim and dropped off 8 Brooks Bros. dress shirts, no stains or real wear. Three of the eight still had the tags on $3.50 each. (<---to me this was the best of the lot).

Hugo Boss dress shirt, WT. $8.00

2 Banana Republic shirts WT, $4.00 ea.

Tan London Fog raincoat, $7

Spent around $80ish or so. I was happy.

Question: Since most people aren't going to know these coats are suit coats (with the exception of the pinstriped ones) and they were cheap, I figure I can take the buttons off and replace them myself with some metal buttons or horn buttons. (how hard can removing and attaching a button really be?)

Where is a good place to go to get some buttons to replace the suit buttons on the HF's and the HSM coats? Can I just go into a fabric store or would I be better off buying them online somewhere? If so, where? Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads