1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

what ugly and stupid words you type.
    [​IMG] More on topic, I picked up three nice jackets today. - PS Paul Smith 1 btn peak lapel black blazer with hacking pockets - Recent Canali mini houndstooth sport coat in gold/brown/charcoal. 3 btn - Prada 3 btn black wool blazer. 100% wool. All will be for sale in the near distant future - I think I'll list up the Canali in the B/S forum tonight.

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

How about an example of human kindness:

I stopped by a couple of my weekly spots today. At the Goodwill I came across an elderly man trying on a pair of shoes. They were nice dress loafers - no tassles. I looked closer and realized they were crocodile! He saw me staring and he took them off and showed them to me. They were J&M but 100% real croc, made in Italy, and in good shape - and $5.99! He told me, "you'll get to enjoy them a lot longer than me. Why don't you see if they fit". They were about a size too small but I was touched that he'd be willing to give up such a great find to a total stranger.

We're all in this together brothers.

I find the elderly thrifters to be the kindest. I've befriended quite a few of them and we meet up quite often, just to chat.

3. 83glt

83glt Senior member

I find the elderly thrifters to be the kindest. I've befriended quite a few of them and we meet up quite often, just to chat.
    There's this one old guy who I regularly see in the same goodwill. He buys SO much shit there it's unbelievable. His apartment must be crammed to the roof. He's really old too. I bet he's a 'Collyer'. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collyer_brothers) a good read.

4. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

what ugly and stupid words you type.

Quit trolling one of the best threads on the forum. There's an entire section for you to go play in.

5. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

Shut up.

I love you too. [​IMG]

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

7. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Aldo Luongo print. [​IMG] Not sure what kind of print, but hoping it's a serigraph.

8. Swan Song

Swan Song Senior member

a nice vintage Made in USA Brooks Brothers 1818 100% Camel Hair Black/White Glen Plaid with burgandy(horizontal) and tan(vertical) window pane

And look at that beautiful 3-2 lapel roll.

needs tailoring a bit, but at $4, I can have my tailor do his thing, and still not have a whole lot invested.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. jptoor

jptoor Well-Known Member

Best day ever.

Nintendo Virtual Boy.
    With Mario Tennis.
    $6

I've been playing for 2 hours, and my eyes hurt really badly, and everything red makes my head hurt. But I'm getting really good...

10. ZON_JR

ZON_JR Senior member

That is the single most fucking depressing thing I've ever read.

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

12. 83glt

83glt Senior member

That is the single most fucking depressing thing I've ever read.
    You're whacked bra. Old people are the shiznit. They gots all kinds of phat tales to tell. It's healthy to learn from their wisdom. And they're often lonely and deserve some kindness seeing as they've lived a lot longer and put up with a lot more assholes then we have. I especially like talking to older folks who turn out to be vets. These old guys have killed dudes with their bare hands and you'd never know. What the fuck have you ever killed?

13. tsaltzma

tsaltzma Senior member

You're whacked bra. Old people are the shiznit. They gots all kinds of phat tales to tell. It's healthy to learn from their wisdom. And they're often lonely and deserve some kindness seeing as they've lived a lot longer and put up with a lot more assholes then we have. I especially like talking to older folks who turn out to be vets. These old guys have killed dudes with their bare hands and you'd never know. What the fuck have you ever killed?

Amen to that. My grandfather had more character than a room full of today's punk kids. Men of his era were of a different sort altogether. They deserve respect and veneration.

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

This is exactly why they're so cool to talk to. My grandparents died when I was pretty young so I never really got to hear stories of what things used to be like. They will talk as much as you want them to about how styles have come and gone, thrifting in the early days and everything else from their family to their lives. I enjoy their company and they enjoy mine. You're right, a lot are lonely and need someone to talk to. Some that I know have no family/friends left. You've got to have a very cold heart to think that being someone's only friend is depressing.

15. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

83glt, tsaltzma, Nataku

I agree with all of you. In my work I often have the pleasure of working with the elderly and I've always been the one who benefitted the most from the friendship. I can understand why ZON_JR thought Nataku's statement was depressing. I see first-hand how lonely some of the elderly can be and I wish it wasn't that way. It may take some patience on our part but they really do have a great deal to offer. I also never forget that I'm a simple twist of fate/run of bad luck away from being just as alone.

Now, back to the topic:

a nice vintage Made in USA Brooks Brothers 1818 100% Camel Hair Black/White Glen Plaid with burgandy(horizontal) and tan(vertical) window pane...

Excellent find. I'm starting to get so picky that I'm passing on some things that would be okay except for needed tailoring. If I get something for $7.99 but it needs $70 worth of work (sleeves, sides, and almost always a lowered collar) I just can't justify it anymore. Anybody have any secrets as to where we can get quality tailoring done cheaply?

Yesterday at lunch:
    I found four unworn ties at the local Goodwill - $6.88 for the lot. They only have a small tag identifying them as "Italian silk, handmade in Boulder, CO" (???). I've never seen that tag but they are all really beautiful and well made.

16. 83glt

83glt Senior member

Today: 1 Charvet shirt, 1 Battistoni shirt.

17. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

Today: 1 Charvet shirt, 1 Battistoni shirt.

Outstanding. Shirts are the one thing I've never had any luck thrifting. The "best" label I ever ran across was a couple of Armani's but they'd been startched to death and had bad ring around the collar.

The ring is epidemic in the thrift shirts down here. Do you see it where you're at? If not, I'm thinking it might be regional because of the heat?

18. 83glt

83glt Senior member

Outstanding. Shirts are the one thing I've never had any luck thrifting. The "best" label I ever ran across was a couple of Armani's but they'd been startched to death and had bad ring around the collar.

The ring is epidemic in the thrift shirts down here. Do you see it where you're at? If not, I'm thinking it might be regional because of the heat?

No, I see all kinds of disgusting stains on shirts. Frankly I'm quite surprised at what Goodwill/SA managers think consumers will tolerate. Some of it is just nasty. But, there are lots of perfect shirts as well, and even the odd NWT shirt. I basically look at the cuffs, points of the collar and the collar itself to make sure it's not worn or colored. Then I check the pits and look for any other stains, marks, tears, etc. If it passes the test and is a reputable/quality make in my size, it comes home. I find a lot of shirts that pass this test actually, but the vast majority don't. If you dont' find a single shirt, maybe it is the heat. It would make sense that shirts down there are more susceptible to sweat staining.

19. VMan

VMan Senior member

Yesterday at lunch:
    I found four unworn ties at the local Goodwill - $6.88 for the lot. They only have a small tag identifying them as "Italian silk, handmade in Boulder, CO" (???). I've never seen that tag but they are all really beautiful and well made.

Carrot & Gibbs

20. heisenberg

heisenberg Active Member

Usually I'm not too big into the thrifting game, but I found myself outside of my normal area and decided to take a look in the store. Ended up with a pare of lightly used black C&J Weymouths - 10E. Perfect size. Now comes the big decision - B&S forum, or keep them and rotate with my AE PAs.

Couple months back, I also picked up a pair of RRL jeans with a green tag. Having issues getting any details on them - will have to post pics later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.