• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

amadar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyrone MacStiophain
Judgment call. They were very worn out. I actually took a pic of the deep scratch on the upper, but it came out blurry, so you can't really tell.
scratchedlongwings.jpg

I suppose I could get them recrafted, but I'm also trying not to blow all my money on clothes!

to be honest, those don't look like shell either.

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amadar
to be honest, those don't look like shell either.

they are not for sure, but they don't look like they have been beat to hell either, of course like he said it was not the best pic.

FWIW, burgundy is better than black anyway
smile.gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
2053e15e.jpg

A "Nan Duskin" Philadelphia stripe tie, all silk. A sawbuck. I love the colours. Probably more of a spring tie, but I couldn't help wearing it today since the temps broke 40 for the first time in a month.

I'd wear that tie with a white shirt and a gray sweater and a jacket/suit, with just enough peeking out to look feisty without going over the top.

JGLB

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a long time thrifter, and not quite as long lurker. I decided to start dressing like a real adult last year when I decided to work on dropping some tonnage and this thread has given me tons of inspiration, although the thrift stores in my slice of southern nowhere haven't given me tons of find. However, while canvassing an estate sale today I ran across a pair of Allen-Edmonds (that I've had trouble identifying using the website) that sadly were too narrow, but since they were only $1.50 I picked up anyway.

Attachment 59862

I also saw some ties there, when I asked the guy for the price he told me that for $15 I could take the lot of 'em. Well, I bought the entire lot, most of them site unseen. I just sorted through them, about 6 went into the trash as too damaged/stained to bother with, I'm going to attempt to clean 18 madras ties with some staining/yellowing issues (tips would be extremely appreciated!), and 54 looked to be in so-so to good condition.

Attachment 59865

Just looking at the 54 I realized I have no clue what to do with this many ties, I don't think I can tell the trash from the treasure! I of course recognize BB Makers, Christian Dior, Lanvin (of which one I need to try reshaping - ugh) , and Liberty of London. But then there's stuff like Garrison, Bert Pulitzer Daks, John Wietz of which I've never heard. Are these donation ties?
confused.gif
I'm lost here, and would greatly appreciate any input on what I've got.

Two interesting ties that stood out for me were this Rooster flat bottom silk tie

Attachment 59864

This one says Ralph Lauren Chaps on the back, but I've never seen that logo before. Anyone have any clue how old it is?

Attachment 59863

Really, thanks for even looking. I feel like a babe lost in the woods!

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

found a cool vintage swedish made chair from the sixties for $10.leather and steel.
i could get $150-$200 on craigslist easy for it but its a keeper,i have been looking for one just like it for awhile.im farting in it as i write this.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

before

After

also in the spring i found a vintage 10 speed from the 1970's bought for $15.
Finally I restored it and got it almost finished,converted to a single speed.
aaaaaaah the satisfaction.total investment $15 plus $100 in paint/parts plus about 15 hours labour
(grips are made from an old braided leather belt)

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JGLB
I also saw some ties there, when I asked the guy for the price he told me that for $15 I could take the lot of 'em. Well, I bought the entire lot, most of them site unseen. I just sorted through them, about 6 went into the trash as too damaged/stained to bother with, I'm going to attempt to clean 18 madras ties with some staining/yellowing issues (tips would be extremely appreciated!), and 54 looked to be in so-so to good condition.

Attachment 59865

That looks like a decent group of ties and an excellent buy. Madras and repp ties are popular and easily flippable. If that Argyle & Sutherland is a Brooks Brothers tie you can flip that one and recoup the entire amount you paid. Keep the ones that you will wear, flip the flippables, and donate the rest back into the stream.

3tsan

Reaction score
good find on the allen-edmond's. way nice looking!
JGLB;4125095 said:
Hi, I'm a long time thrifter, and not quite as long lurker. I decided to start dressing like a real adult last year when I decided to work on dropping some tonnage and this thread has given me tons of inspiration, although the thrift stores in my slice of southern nowhere haven't given me tons of find. However, while canvassing an estate sale today I ran across a pair of Allen-Edmonds (that I've had trouble identifying using the website) that sadly were too narrow, but since they were only $1.50 I picked up anyway.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JGLB

This one says Ralph Lauren Chaps on the back, but I've never seen that logo before. Anyone have any clue how old it is?

Attachment 59863

Mid 80's, '87 if I had to guess a year.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jobro
Thrift store or Five finger discount?
laugh.gif

thats not funny i've had my bikes stolen twice.and a vintage leather brooks saddle once (that hurt most)
actually the guy that sold it to me off craiglslsit had 8 bikes (those are his in the pic) i bought 4 so he gave it me for $60 for all 4.he wanted $30 per bike if bought individually but Frenchy ground him down,the nicest one of all (a french made Miele) he didnt wanna sell beacuse it belonged to his grandfather who had passed away,that bike was sweet.

ArthurVandalay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyrone MacStiophain
I figured it was too good to be true. I was just thrown off by a different texture to the leather - different from my other shoes. And it seemed fairly similar to the AE longwings at the store, which had "CORD" printed alongside the serial numbers.

Shell doesn't crease like that, it folds. Those look like corrected grain. Also, newer JMs are not going to be shell.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frenchy,

Bike looks great. But please please don't tell me you're some hipster! I live in the land of hipsters (LA) and I see them riding their bikes in a pack of 50-100 riding and clogging the streets of LA WITH their skinny jeans. Oh, how I hate them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads