• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amadar
Not to be pushy, but I feel as if my croc loafer post a few pages back was immediately swamped by tons of subsequent posts...does anyone have any experience thrifting/flipping exotic leathers? I think I have a good find, just not sure how good.

dude its croc,you did great.you should be able to make a good profit.

amadar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by frenchy
dude its croc,you did great.you should be able to make a good profit.

In that case, should i pick up the other croc loafers I saw in the same thrift but from a no-name shoemaker from (palm springs, ca)? They were a little more beat up and weren't brand name so I didn"t bother.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdwy89
So this post isn't completely sartorially irrelevant, I did find a vintage Chaps Ralph Lauren hunting shirt jacket at Goodwill the other day.
20fcnxt.jpg
2nuown.jpg
Wood buttons, suede elbow and collar bone (for lack of better word) patches. Everyone that's seen it has either loved it or hated it. I'm in the former category. I was curious if anyone could identify around when this was made. .

This is really cool. Probably when Chaps first came out. Looks to be of late 70's vintage. Awesome find! Most likely made right here in the USA. Edit: according to the Chaps website, the line was started in 1978, so this is likely from the first year of Chaps' existence! http://www.warnaco.com/index.cfm/cat.../8/content/34/

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
laugh.gif

In the spring-fall, they're all over the streets of Minneapolis. Especially Uptown. Go to any Whole Foods or organic food co-op and they are usually an equal amount of vintage bikes in the bike racks as there are cars in the parking lot.

Trying to get through uptown is one of the most infuriating experiences
ffffuuuu.gif

Especially on a nice day in the summer, Lake Calhoun draws the crowds like crazy!

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i did the whole thing myself but if they are willing to do the conversion for you for that price its worth it,parts alone if you do it yourself will cost you $30.
as far as cosmetic,any bike can be restored (unless it rusted way through which i have never seen on a vintage bike that steel is motherfucker tough,some even made in japan).
dude i had mould growing on my tires when i got it and you couldnt see the chrome on the wheels.
buy yourself this tool for your drill and just start sanding,it takes paint rust decals off like butter.i can strip a whole bike in 1 hour no chemicals needed,then prime it and use Krylon paint (the best)
use steel wool to get rust of chrome wheels,works liek magic

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdwy89
So this post isn't completely sartorially irrelevant, I did find a vintage Chaps Ralph Lauren hunting shirt jacket at Goodwill the other day.

http://i53.tinypic.com/20fcnxt.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/2nuown.jpg

Wood buttons, suede elbow and collar bone (for lack of better word) patches. Everyone that's seen it has either loved it or hated it. I'm in the former category. I was curious if anyone could identify around when this was made.

I would guess early 80s, possibly. I'm coming to the conclusion that early Chaps wasn't diffusion line crap. I recently saw a Chaps for Saks sportcoat, for instance. I don't think it's rare gold or anything, but probably better than we assume.

Your collar bone patch is a shooting patch.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i dont mean to hijacjk the thread with bikes,but this is something very interesting i came across awhile back.
a guy in france completely restored a vintage and covered it in leather (yes thats ostrich on the saddle) the craftsmanship is incredible.i know it looks like paint but its actually two different types of leather.
sorry again but i think we all love leather right?
im actually going to attempt this soon with one of mine in hermes orange leather,i aolready builty a bamboo frame mountain bike successfuully so im feeling confident.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I would guess early 80s, possibly. I'm coming to the conclusion that early Chaps wasn't diffusion line crap. I recently saw a Chaps for Saks sportcoat, for instance. I don't think it's rare gold or anything, but probably better than we assume.

Your collar bone patch is a shooting patch.

I've come to that same conclusion.

Nobody really has any interest in it, so no matter how cool I'll never pick it up no matter what the size, but that also means there's more of it left on the racks.

Their old made in the US sportshirts are well made, and have cool, RL-esque details.
Some of the older US made suits/sportcoats are decent and are less dated and easier to wear than RL stuff from the same time frame.

As for bikes, I'd suggest finding a half decent model rather than investing a ton of time and money into a cheap frame.

If the components are junk, it'll never ride well, and you'll be nickeled and dimed to death.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
I've come to that same conclusion.

Nobody really has any interest in it, so no matter how cool I'll never pick it up no matter what the size, but that also means there's more of it left on the racks.

Their old made in the US sportshirts are well made, and have cool, RL-esque details.
Some of the older US made suits/sportcoats are decent and are less dated and easier to wear than RL stuff from the same time frame.

As for bikes, I'd suggest finding a half decent model rather than investing a ton of time and money into a cheap frame.

If the components are junk, it'll never ride well, and you'll be nickeled and dimed to death.

i disagree,most of the components on older bikes are made in england,italy,japan you cant go wrong with a bike for $10-20 and putting in another $100.
you cant even buy a china made POS from walmart for that much.
i have had guys who own GLOBE and FELT bikes stop me and ask about some of my older bikes,and the best part is no one will have one like you.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
speaking of the office, i saw this clip a while back and forgot to post it for all my thrifter buddies here!

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
Trying to get through uptown is one of the most infuriating experiences
ffffuuuu.gif

Especially on a nice day in the summer, Lake Calhoun draws the crowds like crazy!

Yeah, though on the plus side the summer-time scenery is wonderful. All those girls in bikinis walking around can cause quire a distraction!
bounce2.gif

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by csoukoulis
speaking of the office, i saw this clip a while back and forgot to post it for all my thrifter buddies here!

A few people in this thread have posted pics or descriptions of women's suits they have purchased unknowingly...always cracks me up and makes me think of that episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads