• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lastdonb

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon

why do people donate these top tier designers....

Either filthy rich and not interested in pocket change from eBay or consignment. Or, they dont know any better. Or, tax deductable donations.

As Haley Joel Osment would say as he looked at those "donations", "I see dead people".

Last edited:

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today was sort of a bummer.

Found a very recent Corneliani suit jacket, but couldn't find the pants, it was unvented, and missing two sleeve buttons. Found a Pink shirt that was wrecked, a Paul Stuart made in Italy shirt with some paint (?) on the collar, and a bunch of orvis stuff that I didn't feel like messing with.

Did pick up a pair of non-pleated Zanella's and BB makers shirt that used to belong to the recently-deposed President of the University of Oregon.

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also found 3 bucks and a bag of pipe tobacco in a pair of pants. I put the items in the ugliest sportjacket I could find; just because someone has **** for taste doesn't mean that he/she shouldn't get lucky once in a while.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I think there was something on AAAC about this. If I remember correctly, they were not very nice about the Made in Mexico line.

I am pretty sure I came across three of these today. They were Pendleton, and awful. They were as wide as a Lacoste Polo after three washes.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I found this Tom James SC as well as 5 New White BB Button Collar Shirts still sealed in packaging.

$(KGrHqV,!oME8Vn)2MyIBPINcgiV9w~~60_3.JPG

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think there was something on AAAC about this. If I remember correctly, they were not very nice about the Made in Mexico line.

I'm a huge Pendleton fan, been wearing them for years. Wouldn't wear one made in China, though, and I generally leave the Mexican ones as well. The old-school Made In USA are the bomb, though, and I see quite a few around here, relatively speaking. There's a newer, lighter weight line of tartans that is also very nice. A made in USA Pendleton shirt is easy to flip, at least, in my experience--I've never sold one for less than $20, and they're still south of $5 in the stores around here.

I would love to have a Pendleton blanket, but I've never seen one for a "reasonable" (less than $100) price, and I need other things more than a $100-plus blanket. A Hudson Bay blanket is a reasonable, more affordable, alternative, albeit the design is much plainer than most of the Pendleton designs.

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, so I took a chance and went back for those Church's shoes. Turns out my recollection was imperfect. The cordovan loafers were labeled "Handmade" and the brown wingtips were labeled "Custom Grade." I also picked up a pair of black Brooks Brothers "Made in England" that hardly look worn. In fact, wear on all the shoes is light to moderate.

And -- with Brianpore specifically in mind -- I picked up a pink and blue check BB shirt in a 15 x 33 with 17.75 (or thereabouts) shoulders (hope that's small enough, because if not, I just bought a really expensive pocket square). There's a faint lime green check running through the pink that doesn't show in the pic. And the pink is much more vibrant.

The loafers are in a 10.5 and I think I'll keep them (subject to a tempting enough offer; I don't have a pair and these seem nice -- could use a polish, but...).

I stuffed my feet into the wingtips and convinced myself for all of 10 minutes that I wasn't in abject misery. Then I realized I was wrong. They're definitely in the 9.5 range. Again, I know nothing about shoes, so if there's a size folks are seeing here, let me know. Or if there's a way to measure other than what I've done, just let me know and I'll correct the error of my ways.

Here's to hoping this risk pays off....

BB Made in England black: 4" wide (measured at widest) x 11.75 (measured from toe to heel, under shoe) And yes, these pics were taken in my bathroom. Best lighting at night.

Church Wingtip: 4.5 w x 12 L

Church loafer: 4.25w x 12 L

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
GkFDH.jpg

Mr. Laroche, working to reduce this thread's recent overflow of flipper-type questions.... :rotflmao:

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tentative dibs on the brown wingtips if they're available.

OK, so I took a chance and went back for those Church's shoes. Turns out my recollection was imperfect. The cordovan loafers were labeled "Handmade" and the brown wingtips were labeled "Custom Grade." I also picked up a pair of black Brooks Brothers "Made in England" that hardly look worn. In fact, wear on all the shoes is light to moderate.
And -- with Brianpore specifically in mind -- I picked up a pink and blue check BB shirt in a 15 x 33 with 17.75 (or thereabouts) shoulders (hope that's small enough, because if not, I just bought a really expensive pocket square). There's a faint lime green check running through the pink that doesn't show in the pic. And the pink is much more vibrant.

The loafers are in a 10.5 and I think I'll keep them (subject to a tempting enough offer; I don't have a pair and these seem nice -- could use a polish, but...).
I stuffed my feet into the wingtips and convinced myself for all of 10 minutes that I wasn't in abject misery. Then I realized I was wrong. They're definitely in the 9.5 range. Again, I know nothing about shoes, so if there's a size folks are seeing here, let me know. Or if there's a way to measure other than what I've done, just let me know and I'll correct the error of my ways.
Here's to hoping this risk pays off....
BB Made in England black: 4" wide (measured at widest) x 11.75 (measured from toe to heel, under shoe) And yes, these pics were taken in my bathroom. Best lighting at night.

Church Wingtip: 4.5 w x 12 L

Church loafer: 4.25w x 12 L

amnesiacv2

Reaction score

TOO SOON.

BAHAHAAHAHAHA
:crackup:

Anyway, so I posted earlier I landed the following:

- Zegna suit (staple charcoal)
- Zegna SC

I also picked up a like-new Ted Baker tie for $2 which I'm keeping.

Then while running errands after work, I decide to pop into the GW in the same shopping center. Some lady is poking around the suits holding a beat-up Stafford SC in her hand. I look down at the suit she half-removed from the rack to examine after she leaves. It's a Canali. My eyeballs just about pop out of my head. I put it aside and root through the rack. Apparently some large big-baller donated some clothing:

- Canali Proposta for Bernini Beverly Hills suit (black with navy/brown pattern, very nice)
- Canali sport coat (tan - silk & wool)
- Valentino blazer
- Barneys NY pinstripe suit (I was about to pass this by then I saw the Loro Piana tag)

All 46L. This is only time I wished I was much bigger.

There were at least 4-5 other suits and coats that could have belonged to the same person, but I didn't recognize any of the labels so I left them be.

If anyone's interested in the 46L items, let me know. I'm open to trades.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score

Thanks! Going to be too big for me as I wear 14.5-31 Slim Fit or Extra Slim Fit (fit a 14.5-32 sometimes), but sent you a PM.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads