The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

LOL did you really need 3 separate posts for that? Just and FYI, you can use the "Multi" button at the bottom of each post to group posts together (like above) and then replay to each one all in one post.

+1 I have bought, traded, and sold more things though this post over the last 2 months then through the entire B&S forum since the switchover a few months ago.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012

2. grendel

grendel Senior member

You assume that I plan things out ahead of time [​IMG]

3. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

I am just glad people are piping up about this. This is an interactive forum where the discussion helps all of us learn, acquire some great goods, discuss a hobby and sometimes just make the time pass and avoid what we should really be doing. :embar: If you just want to see pictures of Brioni suits I recommend this.

That said, I hit a lot of stores on the East coast while travelling and will get some pictures up of some of the more interesting items soon. No homeruns, but some nice items and even a few things for myself. :nodding:

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

[​IMG] +1

5. amnesiacv2

amnesiacv2 Well-Known Member

Okay, I measured the high end stuff I picked up yesterday. Had a few PM's expressing interest. The 2 suits are cut very slim. I think this person was a rail; they seem to have measurements closer to a 44L rather than the EU 56R they're tagged with:

Canali Proposta - Tagged 56R

Chest - 22.5"
    Waist - 21"
    Shoulder - 20"
    Length - 32.5"
    Sleeve - 24.5" + 1" to let out

Pants - single pleated
    Waist - 35" + 2-3" to let out
    Inseam - 31" + 1"
    Cuff - 2"

Canali SC - Tagged 56R

Chest - 23"
    Waist - 21"
    Shoulder - 21"
    Length - 32"
    Sleeve - 24.5" + maybe 1" to let out

Valentino Uomo Blazer

Chest - 24.5"
    Waist - 23"
    Shoulders - 21"
    Length - 33"
    Sleeve - 25.5" + .5" to let out

Barneys / Loro Piana

Chest - 23"
    Waist - 21"
    Shoulders - 20"
    Length - 32.5"
    Sleeve - 24.5" + 1" to let out

Pants
    Waist - 35" + 2-3" to let out
    Inseam - 32" (none to let out)
    Cuff - 2"

Bad cell phone pics

Barneys: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48271/fs/clothes/barneys.jpg
    Canali SC: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48271/fs/clothes/canali2.jpg
    Canali Proposta: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48271/fs/clothes/canaliproposta.jpg
    Valentino Blazer: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/48271/fs/clothes/valentino.jpg

As stated before, I'd rather trade than sell. I need the following:

- Shoes (10.5D)
    - Belts (36)
    - Trousers (36/30)
    - Staple navy/grey suits (41-42R)
    - Dress shirts (16.5/33-34)

6. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

These sound like they are closer to 9.5 US. That's my size :slayer:. These will be too small for Spoo.

7. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

This was all utterly unnecessary.

8. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Buying stuff to flip is generally a waste of time unless its a massive score. I've done it a few times and end up wishing I didnt when it comes time to pack and ship.

This thread is informative but most of you are new to thrifting. You should have been doing it 15 years ago when you were competing with homeless guys and finds were much better than today.

Too many people trying to find scores with ever more limited opportunities. I've also learned alot from this thread but mostly it makes me frustrated to see you bitches finding sick shit while my scores are getting rarer and rarer.

9. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Yeah, that's my point though. I'm not trying to, nor do I aspire to make a million bucks. I'm trying to get a few bucks so I can afford to buy the cashmere/silk Oxxford SC and the Paul Stuart SC I got earlier this week. It's rare that I ever sell anything at a loss, so even $5 here and there eventually adds up to enough in my Paypal account to pick up something I like from another poster here.

10. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Even if you're only "trying to make a quick buck," why does that matter? Most of the stuff I post here is stuff that I'm trying to sell or trade. Everything that I've ever sold on here has gone for significantly less than it would on eBay or B&S. I guess I just don't understand the bitching and moaning that occasionally pops up here. The thread moves fast, there's tons of stuff to see, learn about, buy, trade, what have you. How is that a bad thing?

11. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

So, this, boys and girls, is why you always check the racks that are coming out. I stopped by a place that's historically been pretty good and didn't find a single stitch of decent clothing, which was quite surprising. I was walking out to leave and saw that a new rack was coming out. Almost didn't check it, but glad I did. Nothing earthshattering, but some pretty nice items overall.

Ok, so I'm not one to throw around the "NWOT" language, but I'm 95% sure these two really are NWOT. Harris Tweed, both in a beautiful herringbone pattern, both size 48. There's not a single mark on any of the leather buttons (which seem to invariably be scuffed up on used HTs I find), and the white Harris Tweed patch that normally fades/discolors a bit after time is pure white. Also, all of the front pockets are still basted shut. They're super recent, with recent looking tags/badges, and are both double side vented. Super nice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next, 100% Cashmere Loro Piana tan sportcoat. This thing baffles me - no content label, no brand patch (other than the LP fabric patch...but there's no LP brand patch, which leads me to believe LP isn't the maker). The only clue I have is the neck "made in italy" label, which looks like Canali's style, but isn't in the Canali cursive script. No clue on who makes this one, but it's very nice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next, Nice Hickey Freeman patch pocket brass button navy blue blazer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one I'm kicking myself for. Quite gorgeous Ben Silver 3 roll 2 gold button navy blazer...but I found 2 pinhead-sized moth holes in the sleeves when I got home. Apparently I didn't check well enough in the store.[​IMG].

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also got 3 staple BB FC shirts.

12. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

13. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

this thread does suck.

14. t2russo

t2russo Active Member

Official Dibs on that HF if it fits a 42R ^^^

15. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Been looking for a fully lined Harris Tweed, those are sharp, but too big. But are they made by "Harris Tweed" or different maker?

What would be a top notch "maker" of a Harris Tweed?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.