Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orchestrion

orchestrion Active Member

The one Pendleton shirt I've found in a thrift store was my size and served me well for a few months until both the elbows blew out for no apparent reason. And it was an old US-made one. That was a sad day. [​IMG]

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Pendleton stuff has always been made well IMO. I have a shirt that was bought new in 1978 and is still going strong. The older ones were really made to last. I had one from the mid 50's but I honestly have no idea where it went. Probably was "borrowed" to a friend a long time ago and never found it's way back.

I got a new one for Christmas year year and I can say that I don't really think the quality has gone down any. Yeah, the cut and style definitely has changed a bit. The shirts from the 70's and early 80's were slimmer cut. For those of you who don't like the blousy cuts, keep an eye out for these. They are characterized by two rounded-flap pockets at the chest and slightly pointier collars.

3. thrift-fu

thrift-fu Active Member

Lots of stuff today, but I got home after dark and can't take decent photos. I do have some phone pics of the shoes I left behind that I couldn't identify. Maybe somebody here recognizes the design on the insole. They were with 6 pairs of really nice, really small Italian made shoes. 3 pairs of which I did take with me, all Tanino Crisci.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

I think this thread has taken another turn, it's no longer about look what I found hehe. Now, it's a flippers haven/guide, who's to blame? On that note, I hate seeing people thrifting not because they have an appreciation for the quality of what they are buying.

5. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

How small is really small? I have small US 7/7.5D feet

6. grendel

grendel Senior member

No way are those big enough for you... They're the same size as the 10.5 loafers... I happen to be a 10.5 [​IMG]

Dibs on the Church's

7. amnesiacv2

amnesiacv2 Well-Known Member

I'm not here to flip everything I find. My primary motivation is to find better stuff for my wardrobe, but I keep coming across things not in my size. I'd rather trade than sell, but either way like hell I'm leaving high quality stuff on the rack like that.

8. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Unfortunately, I'm positive the brown wings are not 10.5. I am 10.5 and fit the loafers -- which do show a 10.5 size -- but not the wings. I measured the sole of the shoe, but of course that's bigger than the shoe itself. Just to be sure, I stuffed myself into the Church's and was damn near hobbled for an hour after. They're smaller than 10.5.

Also, more bad news: There's a queue of a few people on the wings, with Spoo first. I'm happy to add you (grendel) at the end, if you want. Fair? :satisfied:

9. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

+1. Plus -- and I know I'm new here -- but I don't see why it can't be both? I have so much clothing, it's negatively impacting my marriage. If I can help folks out, up my wardrobe and make beer money, what's wrong with that? That's like saying I don't have an appreciation for my house just because I intend to sell it some day.

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

LOL +1

11. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

This comes up every few dozen pages. I don't understand why people don't get that everyone is not posting every find they get. Do you really want to know when I pick up a new BB shirt or Masons shirt because it's NWOT, or about the hoodies I get? Of course not. Furthermore, almost all the things up for trade here ARE quality. Great scarves, jackets, suits, etc. ;these guys have been immeasurably helpful for some of us (wouldn't have been so dapper my first time abroad or for interviews had it not been for some of the guys up here :slayer:) . I'm not sure about others, but in the past two days I've contacted at least three different people with things that I want or need from this thread. And there's a discussion about quality here almost consistently (for instance,the pendleton discussion). I'd venture to say I've learned more from this thread and thrifting than most guys have just reading. I can deduce fabric quality, construction type and nowadays even where an item was made sometimes by just looking. Fnally, the thrifter's trading post is dead, so this is the de facto area to discuss those matters it seems. If anything, I'm glad to see people posting more stuff, both what they have and what they've picked up for fellow addicts.

12. grendel

grendel Senior member

If they're like a 10, then yes... If they're smaller than that, then no. Damn that Spoo... Doesn't he have enough? [​IMG]

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

+1 here too

14. grendel

grendel Senior member

I agree... I've been trading and buying / selling from this thread since I started on here and it's helped my wardrobe a lot and I've been able to pass on good deals to people. I've learned so much through this thread that it's only right, and it makes for a good community.

15. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

+1. Like I posted earlier, there are many of us that find the occasional gem, but no on a regular basis. This thread allows us to supplement our wardrobes on the cheap. Today, I am wearing a ps from Spoo, a jacket and watch from Nataku and a tie from bytor13. Total retail value would be in the many thousands, I paid in the low hundreds. For that, I am very grateful. :slayer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.