• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's lovely to hear from you both again, DW and Patrick Booth. Now we just need Benhour, back! As always, Munky.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'd try Saphir's suede shampoo. If that doesn't work a "clairifying" shampoo might work. The issue with any of this is you're going to dry the hell out of the leather. Leather doctor had a hydrator and fat liquor system that works on suede, but it is an expensive and time consuming process to make it work correctly.

Thanks for weighing in. There's surprisingly little on suede in this thread at least on this problem. This is a good point about drying out the leather though see the glenkaren link below. Curious on your take.

I suppose hitting it with talc or clay raises similar issues. If you extract the bad oil then you extract the good oil.

It's hard to think how one would condition suede as one conditions nonsuede leather. Should suede then be less durable in principle?

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The founder of GlenKaren shoe care products wrote a great blog post detailing a DIY suede cleaner. I've used this method extensively and have had fantastic results.

http://oldleathershoe.com/wordpress/?p=1406

Thanks. Curious on the situations when you've tried this method and how it works: type of shoes and what sort of stains etc.

Last edited:

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I should note my particular problem. Olive oil plus perhaps a little acidity from vinegar (i.e. Some sort of dresing) on polo suede. suede was treated with tarrago (sp) protector. I admit to on every mistake. Blotting it immediately with a wry rather than dry towel which possibly made things worse.

I hit it with talc on and a large part of the stain came off but as in leather some residual stain is left. Thankfully polinsuede isnfatker so you really havr to look and I suppose one might just think it's just the nap is brushed. I'll post a pic later.

At this point my thoughts are

1. A cycle of talc as I suspect if it works each application will depend on how well the talk makes contact with leather through nap.

2. Some de-oiling soap but downside regarding drying leather and not clear it will help as the problem is not in the nap but on the skin. The glenkaren Blog suggestion of a coconut oil soap seems promising.

3. Renovateur medium or dark brown spray. The thought is to choose one that will darken the surrounding suede and I suppose lightly condition. Changing the color isn't a deal breaker. Polo is a rich lovely color but it's a bit redder than I would like. I would hope the medium brown would work.

4. Likely option: live with it. A shoe aficionado might notice it and even if so it's not like dark blotch on light. Colored suede

I'm happy for thoughts on these options.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok here are pics.
Infrared (i.e. lowlight)

sunlight

It looks like the nap is matted down in the area in question. Questions

1. Has some of the dye come off?
  2. Has some of the nap come off?
  3. Is this partly a water stain as well as matting of the nap?
  4. Can I restore the nap?
  5. Should I wet down the left toe cap to see if that helps and if so, then just wipe down the rest of shoe with damp rag with distilled water?

What I learned: the problem wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't blotted with a wet rag rather than a dry one. There are smaller areas where you can detect smaller oil blotches but with nowhere near the same problem.

Left shoe to the right by the lacing and brogueing.
Right shoe just below the cap slightly to the left of the mid line of the lacing.

Sigh...second wear too. At this point, I feel like bringing back a uniform color will at least salvage things (so the renovateur option seems best).

Better times:

whipstitch

Reaction score
I don't know that it is necessarily true. I have shoes that I exclusively wear in bad weather, rain, snow, salt. The only think they have ever seen is a brush and there are no cracks at all. Real oddity is that they are also my cheapest pair of leather dress shoes. At what point are you doing more harm with products than good? No one will ever know really.
You're right. Even if one was able to buy two pairs of the same shoes at the same time and did a perfect A and B study "caring" for only one of the pairs, no matter what the result is it wouldn't be safe to assume the same with any different pair. I like the idea of "as needed generally," but then it raises the question is it too late and the damage already done? Anyway, we can definitely spin our wheels.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our shoe repair shop closed a few years ago, due to the death of the owner. I read that the owner of the shop in the nearest town is nearing retirement, so I made the trip to get some work done.
Pair #1 was in great condition (nearly new) and I just wanted a rubber topy applied. When I picked them up, he told me that he had used a slightly thicker rubber because the thin ones don't last long. That was OK with me. When I got home, I noticed that the chili edge dressing was now black. Can I strip that off very easily?

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our shoe repair shop closed a few years ago, due to the death of the owner. I read that the owner of the shop in the nearest town is nearing retirement, so I made the trip to get some work done.
Pair #1 was in great condition (nearly new) and I just wanted a rubber topy applied. When I picked them up, he told me that he had used a slightly thicker rubber because the thin ones don't last long. That was OK with me. When I got home, I noticed that the chili edge dressing was now black. Can I strip that off very easily?

I think someone used sand paper to do what you want or maybe it was to change the edge to a lighter color. Though if he also did the welt, I don't know what would be best for you to do.

narcosis219

Reaction score
Does it make any sense to put on cream polish when there is a layer of wax polish on the shoe? I would think the wax prevents any of the cream polish from touching the leather at all, so it would just sit on the wax and get brushed away.

Is the right thing to always use renovateur in conjunction with cream polish to breakdown some of the wax? This would be done every 2 weeks to a month as opposed to just topping up wax polish every few wears. Or is it beneficial to have layers of cream/wax/cream/wax?

Obviously renomat is the way to really remove all the wax, but i feel like renomat every month would be overkill.

starro

Reaction score
Does it make any sense to put on cream polish when there is a layer of wax polish on the shoe? I would think the wax prevents any of the cream polish from touching the leather at all, so it would just sit on the wax and get brushed away.

Is the right thing to always use renovateur in conjunction with cream polish to breakdown some of the wax? This would be done every 2 weeks to a month as opposed to just topping up wax polish every few wears. Or is it beneficial to have layers of cream/wax/cream/wax?

Obviously renomat is the way to really remove all the wax, but i feel like renomat every month would be overkill.

There is solvent in the cream, so it will remove some of the wax layer. Obviously, as you point out, it won't be nearly as effective as a cleaner or wax stripper, but your cream should be able to absorb into the leather no problem, assuming the leather is open pored.

DrizztD

Reaction score
I have a question about suede care.

What can i do about the spots where the lace has chafed the suede from constant lacing and unlacing?

Is it damaging the leather? Will it eventually cut a hole through the leather? lol

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello Narc. It sounds as though you might be putting stuff on your shoes a bit too often. If you brush well, before you put them on and when you take them off, you will keep the shoes looking good. I would only use polish when they obviously need it. That, for me, is longer than 'every 2 weeks to a month'. I have never needed to use Renomat. I only use Renovateur about once a year and I don't use wax. I find that polish brings up a pleasant shine, without the need for wax. Just some thoughts! With best wishes Munky.

starro

Reaction score
I have a question about suede care.

What can i do about the spots where the lace has chafed the suede from constant lacing and unlacing?

Is it damaging the leather? Will it eventually cut a hole through the leather? lol

Suede is not paper lol, so even the weak split suedes won't be ripped by laces.

Overall nothing to worry about, just general wear and tear (or to put a euphemism on it, "patina"). If you want to get rid of lace impressions, brush with brass wires, then use a suede cleaner on the area. Brush again until it's dry. I doubt it'll get rid of the marks completely, but they should be obscured somewhat.

whipstitch

Reaction score
This is why I wear all my suede shoes without laces like Run DMC
tongue.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads