• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JohnnyMarr

Reaction score
Other than a recommendation for London, you'll need to post a picture or two for any real help.

Depends on how deep those scratches are. As M635Guy said, a picture would help tremendously.

Having said that, there is a recent example over at the Edward Green thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/291745/...ures-info-and-where-to-buy/28050#post_8538499

Thanks chaps, should have thought of that before posting. I'll take a snap this evening and post.

Cheers

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dropped a spattering of toothpaste on some suede boots. I tried rubbing with water and a cloth and then brushing with a suede brush, but it's still present.

I then tried using collonil bamboo extract cleaner, but now it seems like the stain is brought to the surface, and I still can't get it out.

Should I try soap + water?

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dropped a spattering of toothpaste on some suede boots. I tried rubbing with water and a cloth and then brushing with a suede brush, but it's still present.

I then tried using collonil bamboo extract cleaner, but now it seems like the stain is brought to the surface, and I still can't get it out.

Should I try soap + water?
Check a few posts back, there was some extensive discussion on suede cleaning with a water + shampoo solution. Works great.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Without getting into the question of "why?", how difficult would it be to dye a pair of boots like this to be purple?

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Normally, I would try some diluted blue dye. These are so red, I'm afraid that my results would be either very much "plum" instead of purple. And if I used enough blue to balance the red, I'm afraid they'd be nearly black.
Any ideas, suggestions, or comments would be appreciated.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Normally, I would try some diluted blue dye. These are so red, I'm afraid that my results would be either very much "plum" instead of purple. And if I used enough blue to balance the red, I'm afraid they'd be nearly black.
Any ideas, suggestions, or comments would be appreciated.

If my question is beyond the scope of expertise here, could someone please point me somewhere else to ask this question?
Thank you.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If my question is beyond the scope of expertise here, could someone please point me somewhere else to ask this question?
Thank you.

You could try and bleach them first. I'm pretty sure someone bleached and re-dyed a pair of shoes somewhere on SF. Sorry, I don't remember what they used to strip out the majority of the original color.

There is this old thread, but its not the one I'm thinking of.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/28204/changing-the-color-of-black-leather-shoes

And there was this guide on reddit, but again not the one I remember:

https://www.reddit.com/r/malefashio..._to_lighten_black_leather_shoes_to_a_natural/

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You could try and bleach them first.  I'm pretty sure someone bleached and re-dyed a pair of shoes somewhere on SF.  Sorry, I don't remember what they used to strip out the majority of the original color.

There is this old thread, but its not the one I'm thinking of.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/28204/changing-the-color-of-black-leather-shoes

And there was this guide on reddit, but again not the one I remember:

https://www.reddit.com/r/malefashio..._to_lighten_black_leather_shoes_to_a_natural/

Thank you. After reading these articles, it looks more likely that this is possible to do.
I've used acetone to strip the finish of a few other pairs in the past. It doesn't usually lighten the base leather much if it's been dyed.
I've read that regular bleach is not good for the leather. I've used a leather bleach (oxalic acid) in the past, and it did not achieve much lightening. Perhaps it was too dilute.
I haven't given up on this idea yet!

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. After reading these articles, it looks more likely that this is possible to do.
I've used acetone to strip the finish of a few other pairs in the past. It doesn't usually lighten the base leather much if it's been dyed.
I've read that regular bleach is not good for the leather. I've used a leather bleach (oxalic acid) in the past, and it did not achieve much lightening. Perhaps it was too dilute.
I haven't given up on this idea yet!

I'm pretty sure the guy I'm thinking of used something specifically for shoes or leather. If I find the article, I'll post a reply or PM you.

firefit

Reaction score
Alright, I'm slightly confused here. I have just recently bought a pair of used AE cordovan macneil's in cordovan shell, and I've been really hesistant to purchase products for it. People on the forums have said not to use cream polish, just wax polish. I was thinking about buying saphir renovateur medaille d'or 1925... But it says not to use a nuetral color for the cordovan shell? I'm really confused with this. Heres the routine I was thinking of doing (i had spoken to murlsquirl): Purchase two brushes, and one chamois... Use first brushes to clean/remove dust/dirt, then apply Saphir Renovateur medaille d'or 1925 (still nuetral?) and then proceed to buff it out evenly after it dries? Can you also link the products? Thanks!

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alright, I'm slightly confused here. I have just recently bought a pair of used AE cordovan macneil's in cordovan shell, and I've been really hesistant to purchase products for it. People on the forums have said not to use cream polish, just wax polish. I was thinking about buying saphir renovateur medaille d'or 1925... But it says not to use a nuetral color for the cordovan shell? I'm really confused with this. Heres the routine I was thinking of doing (i had spoken to murlsquirl): Purchase two brushes, and one chamois... Use first brushes to clean/remove dust/dirt, then apply Saphir Renovateur medaille d'or 1925 (still nuetral?) and then proceed to buff it out evenly after it dries? Can you also link the products? Thanks!

I would say your hesitance is the right instinct. Are there scuffs? Discoloration a? Does it look really dry? If the answer to these questions is no, simply wipe down with a damp cloth and brush to a shine without any product. Some like a bit of paste wax on the toe to repel water drops.

I would say use a conditioner like Saphir cordovan cream (not Renovateur, that'll dry out the leather) maybe once a year depending on frequency of wear.

cchaplow

Reaction score
I would say your hesitance is the right instinct. Are there scuffs? Discoloration a? Does it look really dry? If the answer to these questions is no, simply wipe down with a damp cloth and brush to a shine without any product. Some like a bit of paste wax on the toe to repel water drops.

I would say use a conditioner like Saphir cordovan cream (not Renovateur, that'll dry out the leather) maybe once a year depending on frequency of wear.
Could you explain why/how renovateur would dry out the shell? Would it also dry out regular cowhide leathers? Curious since I have been using it periodically on a pair of my shell shoes and I would hate to be doing harm.

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads