• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought there was some bruhaha because Cleverley stated their rtw and semi bespoke shoes were hand welted, and some knowledgeable parties suggested that was a marketing lie. I bring this up only to recount the assertions, not to come down on one side or the other.

GC does claim their RTW being hand welted but I have never seen any third party verification.

Their shoes does look similar to shoes made by EG or AS from the sole.

LJR1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to SF, though have spent the last ~ 2 months reading this thread, and have learned quite a bit through others' experience (particularly that less is more with regards to share care product application). I much appreciate that.

I am also relatively new to quality footwear, with my collection reflecting that: 1 JLP, 1 EG, several AEs (and worse). I have two questions regrading JLP that I hope you may assist me with:

1) Cream and wax options for JLP pewter museum (outside of JLP products).

2) How comparable is the fit between JLP's 7000 and 8000 lasts? What are the major differences? If the fit from a 7000 last is good (at least to my untrained feel), can I expect the same from the 8000 last?

Kind regards,

jack

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talking about shoe brushes. My opinion:

0.jpg

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Could you post the dissection pics here?

Well, somebody here obviously extracts useful information from these things.

The ones I've seen posted in the past were in Japanese and apparently scanned from pages of a magazine at such low resolution that you couldn't see the components to determine what they were.

???

Last edited:

Evsty

Reaction score
One of my new pairs of museum calf Vass has developed some scuffs on the toe and I'm not sure the best course of action. I had polished the toe to a nice glassy shine and thought it would have protected it a bit more but I guess I kicked the curb a little too hard. What's the best way of repairing the scuff mark? My other question is....how do I keep up with the polish job? Do I have to strip the shoe from all of the wax or can I just re-apply some coats to the toe to keep the nice shine? This is the first time I've attempted that glass toe look but now I have no idea how to upkeep. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That japanese one was the one where they claimed G&G's has some sort of "mesh" in-between the upper and lining in the vamp section for reinforcement. Who knows what they could mean. Could be a translation issue. I'm just curious, that's all.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That japanese one was the one where they claimed G&G's has some sort of "mesh" in-between the upper and lining in the vamp section for reinforcement. Who knows what they could mean. Could be a translation issue. I'm just curious, that's all.

I'm curious too.

I'd love to see some really clear and understandable deconstructions. There was a link to a site (I sadly didn't save it) posted on SF some time ago where the fellow who had actually done the deconstructions displayed a series of photos from each breakdown. The unfortunate thing was that he was apparently not a shoemaker or even familiar with shoes in an informed way and that the shoes he deconstructed were pretty run of the mill.

'Course who wants to tear apart a perfectly god $2K shoe for a photo shoot?

The manufacturers could give us a detailed construction sequence but the trouble there is that they end up giving away the "keys to the kingdom"--industrial secrets. Really perspicacious viewers could pick up a tremendous amount of knowledge from photos and video...and do... and as a result every video I've ever seen skips over parts that aren't common knowledge or that the maker doesn't want you to see....like maybe they're using a plastic toe stiffener or something along those lines.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Crispins is totally transparent. They show their whole process in their videos and even have one of their shoes cut open at trunk shows.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GYW all the same in 90% of the processes...so no many secrets for many of us. You see one shoemaker video, you know the others too.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well the materials used becomes important. Even in the case of handwelting things like insole thickness becomes an objective comparison.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All that's true but....and maybe it's just me...I see things in videos, even ones I've watched a dozen times that I had not seen or noticed before.

Just the other day I saw a single photo of a pair of Delos lasts with a feathered and channeled insole. The interesting thing was that I noticed that Delos/Berlutti appeared to be preforming their heel stiffeners.

I've played around with that concept on and off over the years and I had probably seen that photo before, although I can't recall ever having seen it. But again that was the first time I noticed the stiffener wrapped around the last. Dumb bootmaker, I guess.

Of course I watch videos and examine photos of bespoke makers with far more frequency and avidity than promotional videos put out by the manufacturers. But I'm always seeing new approaches.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics