• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

Joshua Lee

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm in need of some advice on fixing a dye job I did on a suede/leather bag. Recently, I used Tarrago Suede / Nubuck dye (Alcohol based, penetrating dye) to change the color from Green to a darker navy. The results were pretty successful overall, however there were some incidents where the suede dye landed on the vegetable tanned (no glazing/ailine finish) sections of the bag.

Any ideas how to remove the dye or slightly blend it out of the leather sections? Considering the leather doesn't have a protective layer / finishing and is only vegetable tanned, I'm assuming the dye penetrated some layers of the leather but not fully as it's not incredibly dark. Hopefully there's a solution where I can lift some of the dye out and then use a highly pigmented cream to even out the color, or worst case scenario, use a leather dye to completely mask the original color.

Much appreciated for your time gents!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If rubbing with renomat or some sort of deglazer doesn't work leather doctor has a product called "Prep-4.4" that will remove it. The downside to any removal methods is it will most likely take off some or all of that red dye that is there so you will have to work on redying and blending the color. Might be better off just leaving the dye-over-color parts alone if you don't want a more serious project.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm not sure what caused this but I have a couple of these lighter colored spots on my relatively new EGs. Its hard to see in this lighting but I tried my best to show, its right in the middle below the stitching. I tried cleaning with water and AE leather conditioner/cleaner but no luck. Any advice? Thanks!

Overall I think this is a non-issue. I had to look pretty hard to see what you were talking about. Try rubbing with some alcohol, or renomat. If that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you. After using any kind of solvent you're most likely going to have to rebuild a bit of the finish using some cream polish gradually in steps. If I were you, I'd just try to use some bad wax or cream polish and if that doesn't work in small amounts ignore it.

jsofia

Reaction score
Acetone or reno mat is probably overkill for that small amount of wax on there. Try the least most invasive method first such as distilled water and vinegar solution 1:3 ratio. If that doesn't work try alcohol. That should do the trick. Afterwards condition with some Lexol and apply some cream polish sparingly and buff.

Gave it a try, worked a little bit but still very pronounced. As you can see from picture I've got the area pretty stripped/light now.

So, to refinish the area to match the rest of the shoe - any advice?

Any advice on how to minimize the appearance of the black stripes?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd start with putting some lexol on the vamp. Let it dry and buff it. Then put a light coat of medium brown cream polish and buff. Keep putting light coats and buffing.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm in need of some advice on fixing a dye job I did on a suede/leather bag. Recently, I used Tarrago Suede / Nubuck dye (Alcohol based, penetrating dye) to change the color from Green to a darker navy. The results were pretty successful overall, however there were some incidents where the suede dye landed on the vegetable tanned (no glazing/ailine finish) sections of the bag.

Any ideas how to remove the dye or slightly blend it out of the leather sections? Considering the leather doesn't have a protective layer / finishing and is only vegetable tanned, I'm assuming the dye penetrated some layers of the leather but not fully as it's not incredibly dark. Hopefully there's a solution where I can lift some of the dye out and then use a highly pigmented cream to even out the color, or worst case scenario, use a leather dye to completely mask the original color.

Much appreciated for your time gents!

If rubbing with renomat or some sort of deglazer doesn't work leather doctor has a product called "Prep-4.4" that will remove it. The downside to any removal methods is it will most likely take off some or all of that red dye that is there so you will have to work on redying and blending the color. Might be better off just leaving the dye-over-color parts alone if you don't want a more serious project.
That russet-esque surface is easily restored through burnishing, if those are veg tanned leathers, or else care products will most likely bring some color saturation, which will uniform the colors better.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You do seems to know a lot for someone who most likely havent seen their bespoke works.
My appreciation to your recognition.

No, I've seen their work a LOT. I do analysis on their work almost weekly. I have to, because if I'm gonna spend couple grand on a pair of shoes, it must be worth it, and I HAVE to make sure I don't buy brand name's bullshit.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My appreciation to your recognition.

No, I've seen their work a LOT. I do analysis on their work almost weekly. I have to, because if I'm gonna spend couple grand on a pair of shoes, it must be worth it, and I HAVE to make sure I don't buy brand name's bullshit.

What do you have to inhale to conjure images of shoes you have never seen in real life for your weekly analysis?

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you have to inhale to conjure images of shoes you have never seen in real life for your weekly analysis?
I don't have to see it in real life, chogall. There are thousand others who could do that for me. It isn't like the kind of village world where we only get words of mouth. Nowadays, we have the internet, which includes information of all records and videos; we have friends, whom can share, or work the sharing part for us. I'm not one of those dumb ***** who follows the crowd, chogall. When I criticize, I have to have a reason to do, or speak of, such thing. It's not like my friends are those bunch of drunkard dicks without a job. I have friends from LA to NYC, to London, Paris, Tokyo, and even Sydney. I don't have to pay, or to touch, even.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads