• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

immaage

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I checked this morning and it seems to be there still - does it take a day or two?

Last edited:

David Copeland

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I checked this morning and it seems to be there still - does it take a day or two?
I had the same issue. I was brushing too much between steps. Light brushing (less heat) helped out.

(And, with a horsehair brush)

David

Last edited:

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yes for me too but this is the only reasonable explanation i can think for that!!(if the shoes are new and not resoled)

Yes, the shoes are new and worn not more than 10 times. What seems odd to me is that it looks like the uppers are just glued to the welt/sole. I cannot seem to see any thread or needle holes in the part of the uppers that have separated.

Last edited:

benhour

Reaction score
Yes, the shoes are new and worn not more than 10 times. What seems odd to me is that it looks like the uppers are just glued to the welt/sole. I cannot seem to see any thread or needle holes in the part of the uppers that have separated.
i would give them back for a refund or replace them

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard and read many things (on SF and beyond) regarding care for shell cordo shoes. I have a very simple question: I have a vintage pair that are in great shape but seem to be headed toward dehydration. Is the collective wisdom here that I should: 1) simply brush and activate the oils; or 2) use cordovan cream; or 3) use or some other product; or 4) some combination of the above?
Thanks in advance.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have heard and read many things (on SF and beyond) regarding care for shell cordo shoes. I have a very simple question: I have a vintage pair that are in great shape but seem to be headed toward dehydration. Is the collective wisdom here that I should: 1) simply brush and activate the oils; or 2) use cordovan cream; or 3) use or some other product; or 4) some combination of the above?
Thanks in advance.

Speaking from personal experience I highly recommend lexol . RonRider says neatsfoot oil is better . If you use lexol and it does not buff back up to expectations a lite coat of reno , saphir cordo cream or venetian will help .
These are 30 + yo shoes w/ 2 coats lexol and 1 lite coat reno

kloss

Reaction score
I can see a few stitches on the bottom of my leather sole. The rest of the stitches are somehow hidden (they look like they were pulled so tight that they are inside the leather. ) Should I be worried about the exposed stitches?

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

any negatives about storing my ae's in plastic tupperware style shoe boxes?

I would not store shoes in an environment that prevents the circulation of air this would encourage the growth of mold for one thing

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Speaking from personal experience I highly recommend lexol . RonRider says neatsfoot oil is better . If you use lexol and it does not buff back up to expectations a lite coat of reno , saphir cordo cream or venetian will help .
These are 30 + yo shoes w/ 2 coats lexol and 1 lite coat reno

Thanks. I will give that a try. Interestingly, the shoes in question are a pair of Lloyd & Haug PTB v-cleats, from the 1980s or, more likely, much older, and look very much like the ones you're wearing. They were completely unworn when I found them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads